Re: [midatlanticretro] 8087

  • Brian Heise
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 2, 2006
      Chris

      I have someone on the forum who has been experimenting with the flash storage.    It can be accomplshed via parallel means, but to utilize it via SCSI and boot, that...would be cool..

      Brian

      Chris M <chrism3667@...> wrote:
      very very cool Brian. One day I hope to add flash
      storage capability to some of my "incompatibles". It's
      already been done for the C64 so why not?

      --- Brian Heise <nampcjr@...> wrote:

      > Your last question... Is there any reason or need to
      > use an 8087 on the jr?   No...Not really.  if I can
      > make it work, then Im happy enough having done
      > something with the computer that it was not designed
      > to do....Thats all.
      >   Ive had some fun with my jr.  I had a 736kb SCSI
      > booting jr with WIN 3.0 (gasp!!) running on it.  I
      > was able to go online via ethernet adapter and
      > converse with some of the other micro-zone members
      > via IRC with it...that alone was cool....very very
      > fun indeed...
      >
      >   Brian
      >
      > Chris M <chrism3667@...> wrote:
      >   also...some computers required additional glue
      > logic
      > to utilize an 8087. The Tandy 2000 and NEC APC III
      > come to mind. They both required some bizarre boards
      > in order to use one. It just might be that they
      > weren't designed with the 8087 in mind (I seem to
      > recall it being hard to find for a while), but this
      > is
      > going to be ESPECIALLY true with the jr.
      > Sound like a phun project to me too, but is there
      > any
      > particular reason you want an 8087 in yer Peanut (or
      > perceived need)?

      > protection around
      > http://mail.yahoo.com

      >         Vintage computer   Computer security
      > Computer training     Field trip

      > Yahoo! Terms of Service.
      >

      > ---------------------------------

      http://mail.yahoo.com

      Yahoo! Mail

      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 5, 2006
        Brian,

        How did you get your jr on a network? What software drivers, etc., did you
        use? I've been watching for ethernet and scsi sidecars to no avail.

        Jim

        --- Brian Heise <nampcjr@...> wrote:

        > Your last question... Is there any reason or need to use an 8087 on the jr?
        > No...Not really. if I can make it work, then Im happy enough having done
        > something with the computer that it was not designed to do....Thats all.
        > Ive had some fun with my jr. I had a 736kb SCSI booting jr with WIN 3.0
        > (gasp!!) running on it. I was able to go online via ethernet adapter and
        > converse with some of the other micro-zone members via IRC with it...that
        > alone was cool....very very fun indeed...
        >
        > Brian
        >
        > Chris M <chrism3667@...> wrote:
        > also...some computers required additional glue logic
        > to utilize an 8087. The Tandy 2000 and NEC APC III
        > come to mind. They both required some bizarre boards
        > in order to use one. It just might be that they
        > weren't designed with the 8087 in mind (I seem to
        > recall it being hard to find for a while), but this is
        > going to be ESPECIALLY true with the jr.
        > Sound like a phun project to me too, but is there any
        > particular reason you want an 8087 in yer Peanut (or
        > perceived need)?

        > http://mail.yahoo.com

        > Vintage computer Computer security Computer training Field
        > trip

        > ---------------------------------
        >

        > ---------------------------------
        > Yahoo! Mail
      • Brian Heise
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 5, 2006
          Getting the jr on a network requires exactly as your subject says...a "PCjr on Steroids".  I utilized a parallel-based Xircom PE3-10BT ethernet adapter, connected onto an IBM parallel port sidecar, modifed to allow bi-direction.  My system was running 736kb (utilizing jrconfg) and then loaded the packet drivers for the Xircom, along with Trumpet TCP/IP.
          There was a small issue with the loading of the Trumpet Drivers.  I believe simply using the Racore PCID cartridge fixes the issue.
          That is about it.  I was able to surf the net (ungodly-slow) and utilize Irc just fine (Using ircabi.exe which is a Trumpet based Irc)
          I have a few HDD options.  I have the PC Enterprises TMC 850jr SCSI sidecar (currently on loan to one of my other forum members), a Racore Drive II+ (20mb MFM HDD) chassis, which is currently on the system (and bootable), and then I have a SASI HDD card which plugs into the modem slot and when used with a special cartridge, allows the drive to be bootable.  They are all fantastic extras, but the TMC 850jr has got to be the golden one.  We have been able to make an ISA bus extender which allows for the utilization of the TMC 850, using the 850jr ROM on it, but not to such of an extent that all the bugs are worked out of it.
          The ethernet adapter....thats a non-existant one. I have a sidecat from Tecmar called the PCNET IIjr . It is,  true-to-life , as close to a current-day ethernet connection you can get, except that it will work only as a node, and will not work independantly.  I have the ISA version as well, but no computer to run it with. So the ISA card and jr sidecar sit idle until I get the chance to play with them.  The Xircom is really the best bet.  It is really a fantastic thing to connect to the WWW with a jr and realize you are actually online with it.

          Brianom PE3-10BT

          --- Brian Heise <nampcjr@...> wrote:

          > Your last question... Is there any reason or need to use an 8087 on the jr?
          >   No...Not really.  if I can make it work, then Im happy enough having done
          > something with the computer that it was not designed to do....Thats all.
          >   Ive had some fun with my jr.  I had a 736kb SCSI booting jr with WIN 3.0
          > (gasp!!) running on it.  I was able to go online via ethernet adapter and
          > converse with some of the other micro-zone members via IRC with it...that
          > alone was cool....very very fun indeed...
          >
          >   Brian
          >
          > Chris M <chrism3667@...> wrote:
          >   also...some computers required additional glue logic
          > to utilize an 8087. The Tandy 2000 and NEC APC III
          > come to mind. They both required some bizarre boards
          > in order to use one. It just might be that they
          > weren't designed with the 8087 in mind (I seem to
          > recall it being hard to find for a while), but this is
          > going to be ESPECIALLY true with the jr.
          > Sound like a phun project to me too, but is there any
          > particular reason you want an 8087 in yer Peanut (or
          > perceived need)?

          > http://mail.yahoo.com

          >         Vintage computer   Computer security   Computer training     Field
          > trip

          >     Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service.
          >

          > ---------------------------------

          > Yahoo! Mail
          > Bring photos to life! New PhotoMail  makes sharing a breeze.

          Yahoo! Mail

        • Timothy J Fagan
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 14, 2006
            It's also been done for the Atari 8-bit machines - I ordered mine
            last week! Check out http://www.atarimax.com

            --Timster--

            --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Chris M <chrism3667@...>