Re: [midatlanticretro] VMS Languages Software Availability?

  • system@great-escape.tmesis.com
    Message 1 of 16 , Jul 14, 2012
      Jason Howe <jason@...> writes:

      >On Thu, 12 Jul 2012, system@... wrote:
      >
      >Jason Howe <jason@...> writes: >> Once you receieve your licences
      >from HP, you can request access to the >> downloads. When I did that
      >for my DEC 3000 AXP a couple months ago, >> there were a whole suite of
      >compilers that came with it (Basic, Pascal, >> Cobol, Fortran, C, C++)
      >as separate downloads from the VMS ISO images. > > I'm not convinced
      >that this is as well supported by HP now that they've > taken over the
      >hobbyist program from David Cathey of Montagar Software. > I suppose
      >only time will give evidence. > > I have been running and hosting the
      >DECUS Library Compendium -- DECUS > Freeware et al. -- at
      >http://DECUSlib.com There's a wealth of member > contributed DECUS
      >freeware and other information amassed from early on > in the history of
      >the "DECUS tapes" archived in the Compendium. > >
      >

      >The experience for me now, vs the last time I signed up for my hobbyist
      >PAKs (and did nothing with them) seemed to be better -- since there is
      >actually access to current downloadable media -- not a $30 fee for an
      >outdated set of CDs.

      Well, I have no need for hobbyist PAKs as I have license to full blown PAKs
      by virtue of HP's DSPP or, as I think it is called this week, Alliance One.
      I know David Cathey and Pat Jankoviak, and I knew the late John Wisniewski
      (http://wiz.openvms.org/stories.php ... in fact, I was the first recipient
      of the John Wisniewski Spirit Award from HP), who were all instrumental in
      the creation of the OpenVMS Hobbyist program. Without them, it would have
      very likely never come to fruition.

      >Regardless, I'll thank you here for maintaining DECUSlib.com -- that's
      >been a very good resource as well.

      You're welcome. It's currently running on a DS10L running OpenVMS V8.4,
      Apache, MySQL, PHP, etc. on ATA (gack, painfully slow) drives. When I'm
      able to devote some time to it, (like I have free time?) it'll get moved
      to one of my faster Alphas or to one of my Integrity systems and some real
      fast (FC-SCSI) drives.

      Anyway, if you have some specific VMS questions, you may email them to me
      for answers.