How far would you drive to p/u a rare vintage puter?

  • Chris M
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 2 9:42 AM
      What's excessive? Is ~300 miles too much? This one's a beauty...

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • evan
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 2 10:07 AM
        I agree with Kelly -- "it depends" is the answer.

        First variable -- how bad do I want it?
        Second variable -- can't they ship it?
        Third variable -- can we use a middleman?
        Fourth variable -- am I up for a long trip?

        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 2 3:47 PM
          --- evan <evan@...> wrote:

          > I agree with Kelly -- "it depends" is the answer.
          >
          > First variable -- how bad do I want it?

          Ok, you want it REALLY REALLY BAD!

          > Second variable -- can't they ship it?

          NOT ALLOWED! The question wouldn't be coming up if it
          was that easy.

          > Third variable -- can we use a middleman?

          CUT OUT THE MIDDLEMAN! Also invalid.

          > Fourth variable -- am I up for a long trip?

          See #1. There's no way you can live w/o it. Sheesh.

          Come on Evan...how far would you drive for something
          you thought you could NEVER EVER OWN!!!

          My item theoretically could be shipped, but what if it
          gets smashed in the process??? What would I do then?

          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • john_apw
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 4 10:10 AM
            --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Chris M <chrism3667@...>
            wrote:

            > --- evan <evan@...> wrote:
            >
            > > I agree with Kelly -- "it depends" is the answer.
            > >
            > > First variable -- how bad do I want it?
            >
            > Ok, you want it REALLY REALLY BAD!
            >
            > > Second variable -- can't they ship it?
            >
            > NOT ALLOWED! The question wouldn't be coming up if it
            > was that easy.
            >
            > > Third variable -- can we use a middleman?
            >
            > CUT OUT THE MIDDLEMAN! Also invalid.

            Hmm... I seem to remember bringing a certain Digtal system from
            Pearl River to InfoAge, just so you could have access to it...

            I had no interest in the machine, but because I was closer to it
            than you, I was willing to "relay" it.

            So I think your answer to #2 is "INVALID".

            -John M.

            To all: I still think that having people doing pickups close to home
            then arranging a "relay" is more effective than everyone driving
            everywhere individually. Would depend on whether everyone can
            cooperate, and if people can resist grabbing things for themselves.

            If anyone needs a pickup in Northern NJ and subsequent "relay" to
            the south or west, let me know. If I have the time, I'll participate
            (without grabbing).

            -John
          • Chris M
            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 4 6:22 PM
              no its not, unless youre willing to drive to Lake
              George, ahem, for me. I also dont know anyone up that
              way. Hence my response. And Id have to say thats a
              peculiar reply to a post thats largely a goof. Ill
              respond further offlist when I have the oppurtunity.

              http://mail.yahoo.com