Techniques for cleaning motherboard battery mess

  • Ben Greenfield
    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 4 6:39 AM
      Hey All,

      I just discovered and corrosion(greening of the metal parts) on the i/o ports of an old computer. When I took the back off I found batteries had leaked on to the motherboard and has done some corrosion (more greening).

      Does one simply clean or clean and replace parts.

      Thanks,

      Ben
    • David Gesswein
      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 4 7:38 AM
        On Wed, Jul 04, 2012 at 09:39:17AM -0400, Ben Greenfield wrote:
        > Hey All,
        >
        > I just discovered and corrosion(greening of the metal parts) on
        > the i/o ports of an old computer. When I took the back off I found
        > batteries had leaked on to the motherboard and has done some corrosion
        > (more greening).

        I use lime away to treat the residue and standard cleaners. The lime away
        will foam some if the residue to the right chemistry for it to neutralize.

        > Does one simply clean or clean and replace parts.

        Since you have green I assume it was plating over copper on the connector.
        Some of the plating will likely be gone. Without the plating the connection
        may be less reliable as the copper corrodes again. Using a connector treatment
        such as Caig preservit can help. You need to see how bad the damage is
        after its cleaned and how annoying it will be if the connection goes
        flaky after awhile to decide if it should be replaced instead.

        For the motherboard see if the traces have been eaten through. If needed
        you can solder a little wire across the bad spots. You can also retin the
        trace if needed.
      • telmnstr@757.org
        Message 3 of 12 , Jul 4 11:10 PM
          > Hey All,
          > I just discovered and corrosion(greening of the metal parts) on the i/o ports of an old computer. When I took the back off I found batteries had leaked on to the motherboard and has done some corrosion (more greening).
          > Does one simply clean or clean and replace parts.
          > Thanks,
          > Ben

          There is supposedley a trick for neutralizing the battery acid.

          I've got an Amiga 3000 mainboard that has really bad battery damage.

          Note - All Amiga 3000s are headed for big trouble due to their batteries.
          Everyone I know with one they've been holding onto -- turns out they're
          all ruined.
          Message 4 of 12 , Jul 5 5:21 AM
            telmnstr@... wrote:

            >> Hey All,
            >> I just discovered and corrosion(greening of the metal parts) on the
            >i/o ports of an old computer. When I took the back off I found
            >batteries had leaked on to the motherboard and has done some corrosion
            >(more greening).
            >> Does one simply clean or clean and replace parts.
            >> Thanks,
            >> Ben
            >
            >There is supposedley a trick for neutralizing the battery acid.
            >
            >I've got an Amiga 3000 mainboard that has really bad battery damage.
            >
            >Note - All Amiga 3000s are headed for big trouble due to their
            >batteries.
            >Everyone I know with one they've been holding onto -- turns out they're
            >
            >all ruined.

            +.....................

            Add me to the list...my 3000 was ruined beyond my willingness to replace/clean. Too many damaged components and it apparently the board itself.
            --
            Sent from my PDP 8/e.
          • Mr Ian Primus
            Message 5 of 12 , Jul 5 5:55 AM
              --- On Thu, 7/5/12, telmnstr@... <telmnstr@...> wrote:

              > There is supposedley a trick for neutralizing the battery
              > acid.

              It's not really a trick, it's just white vinegar.

              The gunk that NiCd batteries leak is actually an alkali, not an acid. So, a weak acid will neutralize it. The basic procedure is to use the vinegar to neutralize the leakage, scrub and remove as much as possible, and wash the board to remove all the vinegar and other crud (think dishwasher).

              But neutralizing the "acid" is only part of the problem. The real problem is cleaning the corrosion off, and removing every last bit of the corrosive substance. It wicks up along the traces underneath the solder mask. It will also work it's way along wires. The corroded trace/wire will no longer accept solder, and it will be brittle and conduct electricity poorly. When solder joints get corroded, they also fail to conduct properly - they get grey and dull looking, and they won't melt or flow.

              You have to clean up the leakage, clip out/desolder/remove any damaged components. Sand down the solder mask in the area to clean away all traces of corrosion. Thoroughly wash the board again. Then re-tin exposed copper, patch broken traces, and replace damaged parts.

              It's a lot of work. There is no magic "dip it in substance X" that will whisk away the corrosion. The leakage has to be removed, and the damage has to be repaired.

              And whoever thought it was a good idea to solder batteries to printed circuit boards needs a good slap up the side of the head.

              -Ian
            • Ben Greenfield
              Message 6 of 12 , Jul 5 6:08 AM
                Thanks for the thorough description I have a question.

                On Jul 5, 2012, at 8:55 AM, Mr Ian Primus wrote:

                --- On Thu, 7/5/12, telmnstr@... <telmnstr@...> wrote:

                The gunk that NiCd batteries leak is actually an alkali, not an acid. So, a weak acid will neutralize it. The basic procedure is to use the vinegar to neutralize the leakage, scrub and remove as much as possible, and wash the board to remove all the vinegar and other crud (think dishwasher).

                Are you recommending that I put it into the dishwasher
                preparing a board in the style of a plate for the  dishwasher
                use dish washing liquid

                And whoever thought it was a good idea to solder batteries to printed circuit boards needs a good slap up the side of the head.

                I see the personal computer industry as a seat of the pants endeavor by people who didn't know what they were doing.

                I'm glad to have access to this rare breed of skilled technicians.

                Thanks to all with the tips.

                Ben
                Message 7 of 12 , Jul 5 7:00 AM

                  > Are you recommending that I put it into the dishwasher
                  > preparing a board in the style of a plate for the dishwasher
                  > use dish washing liquid

                  Just remember to dry thoroughly.
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jul 5 11:59 AM
                    On 07/05/2012 09:08 AM, Ben Greenfield wrote:
                    > I see the personal computer industry as a seat of the pants endeavor by
                    > people who didn't know what they were doing.

                    Truer words have never been spoken. Have you looked at the schematics
                    for the original IBM PC? I did better logic design than that when I was
                    ten years old. It's amazing that it worked at all...and look where it
                    went! Just wild, the weird things that happen in this industry.

                    Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
                    New Kensington, PA
                  • Bob Schwier
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jul 5 10:18 PM
                      \\

                      --- On Thu, 7/5/12, Dave McGuire <Mcguire@...> wrote:
                      breadboards and kludges and making deadlines even though the original approach failed.
                      bs

                      Message 10 of 12 , Aug 5, 2012
                        Hey All,

                        I just took the leaking battery mess apart and I have a new set of questions:

                        I'm about to start the vinger bath should I use straight vinegar or dilute with water?

                        I created a photo album called battery repair where I upload an image of something that may be a corroded part or maybe it should look like that?

                        I have no clue the and Sun remarketing maunal for this machine ignores the I/O board's schematic.

                        If it was a part my guess is that it was serial controller for MacXL/Lisa.

                        Anyone know what that part was?

                        Thanks,

                        Ben

                        Message 11 of 12 , Aug 5, 2012
                          Looks to me that you need to completely replace some components. Surface staining is one thing but when battery leakage penetrates a part it's a lost cause.

                          When I went through my Amiga motherboards... Some were too far gone and the board traces themselves were corroded requiring a lot of delicate repairs. It depends in the end how much you are willing to do to save a board.
                          Sent from my PDP 8/e.
                        • Ben Greenfield
                          Message 12 of 12 , Aug 5, 2012
                            what about vinegar water ratio?