Re: [midatlanticretro] Re: Tech Weekend after action report (IBM 029)

  • Mike Loewen
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 2, 2012
      On Mon, 2 Jul 2012, Dave McGuire wrote:

      > On 07/02/2012 02:07 PM, Mike Loewen wrote:
      >> After etching, I tinned all the
      >> copper traces (except the edge connector) with solder.
      >
      > See:
      >
      > http://www.mgchemicals.com/products/421.html
      >
      > You can get it from here:
      >
      > http://sra-solder.com/product.php/6810/0/421_liquid_tin_125_ml

      Thanks for the recommendation. How's the shelf life?

      Mike Loewen mloewen@...
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 2, 2012
        On 07/02/2012 08:00 PM, Mike Loewen wrote:
        >>> After etching, I tinned all the
        >>> copper traces (except the edge connector) with solder.
        >>
        >> See:
        >>
        >> http://www.mgchemicals.com/products/421.html
        >>
        >> You can get it from here:
        >>
        >> http://sra-solder.com/product.php/6810/0/421_liquid_tin_125_ml
        >
        > Thanks for the recommendation. How's the shelf life?

        I don't know, but I've had my current bottle for about a year and it's
        still ok.

        The only thing to keep in mind with this stuff is that the copper has
        to be very clean for it to be effective. No fingerprints, etc.

        We've talked about your coming out here for some hacking. Bring some
        boards with you and you're welcome to try it out.

        Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
        New Kensington, PA
      • Mike
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 3, 2012
          I don't etch my own cards very often any more, but I ones I do, are also done with the laser toner method. I used to use glossy photo paper, but switched to using a glossy page ripped out of a magazine, which works better for me. I try to find a page with a lot of white space. You don't want to know about how I keep the etchant warm. :-)

          Actually I was thinking of Goo Gone, but that is also oily.

          Regards,
          Mike W.

          > On Mon, 2 Jul 2012, Mike wrote:
          >
          > > Very nice job on the arc suppresion card! Clearly you put some thought and effort into that.
          >
          > Thanks, Mike. I used the toner transfer method, with Pulsar's paper:
          >
          > http://www.pcbfx.com/main_site/pages/products/transfer_paper.html
          >
          > Instead of an iron, I have a modified GBC H-220 pouch laminator:
          >
          > http://www.pcbfx.com/main_site/pages/start_here/laminator_info.html
          >
          > I built my own etching tank out of clear plexiglass, with an aquarium
          > heater and an aquarium bubbler air pump. After etching, I tinned all the
          > copper traces (except the edge connector) with solder. My only concern is
          > the edge connector traces oxidizing over time, but I applied a layer of
          > DeOxit and hoped for the best.
          >
          > > Anyone know what rubber roller rejuvenator is composed of - the color
          > > and the mention of citris remind me of goof off... any chance that it is
          > > the same stuff. I have an old HP laserjet that is jamming requently and
          > > needs some attention.
          >
          > Goof Off is very oily to the touch, where the roller rejuvenator is
          > not. I've also used it with great success on laser printer rollers. Do
          > NOT use GC Electronics 10-8602 Belt & Drive Non Slip - it's too sticky.
          >

          > Mike Loewen mloewen@...

        • s100doctor
          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 4, 2012
            --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "Mike" <mike@...> wrote:

            > I have an old HP laserjet that is jamming frequently and needs some attention.

            I've repaired many HP or HP-OEM'ed printers. Look for the rubber paper pickup roller via a Web search, various "fix your own printer" companies sell them. The rollers simply wear down with time and (with effort) can be replaced. There may be other parts and so there might be a "kit". None of this is from HP.

            Herb Johnson