Re: [midatlanticretro] Furthermore, who's into C/PM stuph?

  • Bob Applegate
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 2, 2006
      What timing! I fired up my CP/M system last night and was playing
      with Wordstar and some old BDS C code. It still seems perfectly
      normal to use CP/M even after all these years.

      It must be CP/M season! Hey Dave W, time to fire up those old IMSAI
      and TDL machines!

      One thing I *do* miss from my modern machines is the much improved
      video. Those old 80 column cards on green-screen monitors just don't
      look as good as a modern machine. I used to spend 8+ hours a day
      working on this system, but would probably go crazy if I had to do it
      now.

      Bob

      Degnan <billdeg@...> wrote :

      > Chris,
      >
      > I use CP/M or MP/M here and there, mostly for testing. I have a
      > handful of systems that are native CP/M or CP/M 86..I have a lot
      > of CP/M software and documentation. Tandy, COmmodore, Altos, and
      > Televideo.
      >
      > Bill D
      >
      > At Wednesday, 1 March 2006, you wrote:
      >
      > >thus far, I own these:
      > >
      > >Sanyo MBC-1000, all in one, apparently non-functional
      > >
      > >Yamaha MSX puter (was told it runs or will run c/pm)
      > >
      > >I suppose the Epson QX-10 donated by Dave Bassett runs
      > >c/pm also. But mine is equipped with the Titan 8088
      > >card, so who would want anything else???????
      > >.....Dave, we hardly knew ya :(
      > >
      > >thought I had other stuph. I'll let you know on the
      > >next refresh cycle (my clock speed is reckoned in
      > >hourse, days, or even weeks. Very retro ;).

      ___________________________________
      NOCC, http://nocc.sourceforge.net
    • Mike Loewen
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 2, 2006
        On Thu, 2 Mar 2006, Bob Applegate wrote:

        > One thing I *do* miss from my modern machines is the much improved
        > video. Those old 80 column cards on green-screen monitors just don't
        > look as good as a modern machine. I used to spend 8+ hours a day
        > working on this system, but would probably go crazy if I had to do it
        > now.

        Same here. On my TRS-80 Model 4, I replaced the horrible, flickering
        white CRT with a long persistence amber CRT (Langley St. Clair), which
        made it a lot more tolerable. Even so, modern displays are easier on the
        eyes. My standard xterm setup is green-on-black. :-)

        Mike Loewen mloewen@...
      • Chris M
        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 2, 2006
          there were some absolutely lovely black and white
          monitors though. I had 1 with my original Mac II, and
          that thing was as sharp as a tack! I'm in the market
          for a large screen b & w monitor if anyone's got one
          by the way.

          > Same here. On my TRS-80 Model 4, I replaced the
          > horrible, flickering
          > white CRT with a long persistence amber CRT (Langley
          > St. Clair), which
          > made it a lot more tolerable.

          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • Chris M
          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 2, 2006
            I was pretty happy when I obtained the Sanyo MBC-1000
            from a classiccmp lister
            (http://www.old-computers.com/museum/computer.asp?st=1&c=1072).
            Of course it doesn't work, might be an "easy" fix
            though (my definition of an easy fix doesn't rule out
            a soldering iron and solder wick though!). I love the
            all-in-one units.

            Message 5 of 10 , Mar 2, 2006
              Does anyone have a Gatorbox CS for sale?

              Mike Loewen mloewen@...
              Message 6 of 10 , Mar 3, 2006
                Chris,

                The Yamaha MSX machine might run CP/M but what it is supposed to run is
                MSX-DOS. Do you have the music keyboard and software? I've always wanted one
                of those machines but, naturally, I'm not willing to pay real money for one.

                Jim