[midatlanticretro] Minitel

  • Jeffrey Brace
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 2, 2012
      From: Evan Koblentz
      Sent: Monday, July 02, 2012 9:01 AM

      >So ... I emailed an online friend who's a collector of PDAs/laptops in
      >France, and asked for his help in getting us a Minitel. That was a couple
      >of days ago.

      I know about the Minitel from my French class in high school. They showed
      how the Minitel was a nationwide network and you could look up phone numbers
      on the computer very quickly and easily (I can't recall what else they used
      it for). I took this class in 1988 and the video was could have been 5 years
      old, so they must have been around since that time. It is interesting how
      they were ahead of us in an electronic phone book that was a standard
      nationwide terminal in every home. It will be nice to see a real one.

      Jeff Brace
    • David Comley
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 2, 2012
        It was a sort of monochrome version of Teletext. A lot of places would list a minitel number that you could dial into for information using a dedicated terminal.  Most government services, the SNCF (rail system) and I guess some businesses as well.

        We had one while we lived in France but I could never get much out of it. We left it behind when we moved to the US in '98. By that time it had been eclipsed by the Interweb.

        -Dave

        =