Minitel

    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 2, 2012
      So ... I emailed an online friend who's a collector of PDAs/laptops in France, and asked for his help in getting us a Minitel. That was a couple of days ago.

      He replied this morning. Said he spent the weekend at a retrocomputing hack event (ha!!) and asked the homeowner for a minitel for a U.S. museum ... the homeowner goes into his basement, comes back up, box in hand.

      Nice.

      Says it's a very popular portable model, soon to be en route to New Jersey.

      Someday we'll have an exhibit about online life pre-WWW. This will be a nice artifact for it.
    • Jeffrey Brace
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 2, 2012
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 2, 2012
          It was a sort of monochrome version of Teletext. A lot of places would list a minitel number that you could dial into for information using a dedicated terminal.  Most government services, the SNCF (rail system) and I guess some businesses as well.

          We had one while we lived in France but I could never get much out of it. We left it behind when we moved to the US in '98. By that time it had been eclipsed by the Interweb.

          -Dave

          =