[midatlanticretro] Tech weekend update

  • Jeffrey Brace
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 1, 2012
      From: Evan Koblentz
      Sent: Saturday, June 30, 2012 10:20 PM

      >I'll let everyone else who is here chime in about what progress they made.
      >It's mostly good!

      I got three of my Commodore 64's working. I got lots and lots of help from
      Bill Dromgoole. Thanks so much Bill ! I couldn't have done it without you.

      The first one had a doh! error. I had taken out the Kernal ROM with the
      intention of putting JiffyDOS in it's place and forgot to put it back, so of
      course it didn't work !
      The second one had a blank screen. We check everything with his Diagnose 64.
      Then he traced the power and found that the power switch had a cold solder
      joint. So removing the old solder and adding more fixed the problem.
      The third had a bad power switch. This time I did the desoldering of a
      "parts" c64. First the RF shielding (which was a pain !), then desolder the
      good switch. Then solder the good switch to my C64. It works fine, even
      though the diagnostic harness says there are more problems. This might be
      because it is REV. A board and might have some minor differences.

      Anyway, I learned a lot and have some more clue about how to diagnose and
      trace things. Now I know how to solder and desolder, and will keep
      practicing and learning. My next assignment is learning how to read the C64
      schematic and using the multi-meter to trace down problems. I never would
      have thought it was a bad power switch, so it is great to learn from someone
      else who has a different understand, approach and more experience.

      I think this weekend was super fabulous and expialidocious. I welcome
      another tech day to work on things. I want to become a Commodore 64 expert
      and eventually move on to other Commodore systems. It's nice to make
      progress and learn things that are useful and helpful :)

      Jeff B
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 1, 2012
        >> I think this weekend was ... expialidocious

        You sound precocious.
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 1, 2012
          On 07/02/2012 12:10 AM, Jeffrey Brace wrote:
          > I got three of my Commodore 64's working. I got lots and lots of help from
          > Bill Dromgoole. Thanks so much Bill ! I couldn't have done it without you.

          This is -awesome-. Congrats!

          > The first one had a doh! error. I had taken out the Kernal ROM with the
          > intention of putting JiffyDOS in it's place and forgot to put it back, so of
          > course it didn't work !
          > The second one had a blank screen. We check everything with his Diagnose 64.
          > Then he traced the power and found that the power switch had a cold solder
          > joint. So removing the old solder and adding more fixed the problem.
          > The third had a bad power switch. This time I did the desoldering of a
          > "parts" c64. First the RF shielding (which was a pain !), then desolder the
          > good switch. Then solder the good switch to my C64. It works fine, even
          > though the diagnostic harness says there are more problems. This might be
          > because it is REV. A board and might have some minor differences.
          >
          > Anyway, I learned a lot and have some more clue about how to diagnose and
          > trace things. Now I know how to solder and desolder, and will keep
          > practicing and learning. My next assignment is learning how to read the C64
          > schematic and using the multi-meter to trace down problems. I never would
          > have thought it was a bad power switch, so it is great to learn from someone
          > else who has a different understand, approach and more experience.
          >
          > I think this weekend was super fabulous and expialidocious. I welcome
          > another tech day to work on things. I want to become a Commodore 64 expert
          > and eventually move on to other Commodore systems. It's nice to make
          > progress and learn things that are useful and helpful :)

          You went from an extremely frustrated mailing list post indicating no
          progress whatsoever, to fixing THREE machines in the space of a
          weekend?! It sounds to me like you're well on your way to mastering the
          innards of the C64. The diagnostic procedures, tool experience, and
          intuition you're developing now will directly apply to most anything
          else you decide to tackle.

          Dave McGuire, AK4HZ