Re: [midatlanticretro] Tech weekend update

    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 30, 2012
      On 06/30/2012 10:20 PM, Evan Koblentz wrote:
      > Everyone who skipped today's tech session missed a great time! Today was one of our most successful tech days. PDP-8s, SOL-20s, IBM card puncher, Burroughs card reader, many SBCs (our Cosmac VIP works!), Commodores, Macs ... A little "bit" of everything. As for me, after asking a bazillion questions of Gesswein, Johnson, Primus, Degnan, Donzelli, Jonas, and Dromgoole ... I managed to (partially repair part of one Osborne, and then transplant a working Osborne monitor from a parts unit into a Osborne that had a dead monitor, and then transplant the whole computer from its ugly and yellowed case into a nice clean-ish case. So, MARCH now has a clean, working Osborne for Lee to sign tomorrow. Then it'll go on display in the museum.
      >
      > I'll let everyone else who is here chime in about what progress they made. It's mostly good!

      I wish I could've been there! I will make it next time. For the past
      several days, I've been rendered completely exhausted by a major,
      personally-important PDP-11 haul from northern NJ, and returning home to
      news that my old (still full of my stuff) house in FL has been broken
      into by scumbags, and my mother's house on the other side of town was
      broken into in the same day. (we think by the same person)

      More on all of the above later.

      I'm glad you guys are having a good time. Again I truly wish I was there.

      Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
      New Kensington, PA
    • Jeffrey Brace
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 1, 2012
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 1, 2012
          >> I think this weekend was ... expialidocious

          You sound precocious.
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 1, 2012
            On 07/02/2012 12:10 AM, Jeffrey Brace wrote:
            > I got three of my Commodore 64's working. I got lots and lots of help from
            > Bill Dromgoole. Thanks so much Bill ! I couldn't have done it without you.

            This is -awesome-. Congrats!

            > The first one had a doh! error. I had taken out the Kernal ROM with the
            > intention of putting JiffyDOS in it's place and forgot to put it back, so of
            > course it didn't work !
            > The second one had a blank screen. We check everything with his Diagnose 64.
            > Then he traced the power and found that the power switch had a cold solder
            > joint. So removing the old solder and adding more fixed the problem.
            > The third had a bad power switch. This time I did the desoldering of a
            > "parts" c64. First the RF shielding (which was a pain !), then desolder the
            > good switch. Then solder the good switch to my C64. It works fine, even
            > though the diagnostic harness says there are more problems. This might be
            > because it is REV. A board and might have some minor differences.
            >
            > Anyway, I learned a lot and have some more clue about how to diagnose and
            > trace things. Now I know how to solder and desolder, and will keep
            > practicing and learning. My next assignment is learning how to read the C64
            > schematic and using the multi-meter to trace down problems. I never would
            > have thought it was a bad power switch, so it is great to learn from someone
            > else who has a different understand, approach and more experience.
            >
            > I think this weekend was super fabulous and expialidocious. I welcome
            > another tech day to work on things. I want to become a Commodore 64 expert
            > and eventually move on to other Commodore systems. It's nice to make
            > progress and learn things that are useful and helpful :)

            You went from an extremely frustrated mailing list post indicating no
            progress whatsoever, to fixing THREE machines in the space of a
            weekend?! It sounds to me like you're well on your way to mastering the
            innards of the C64. The diagnostic procedures, tool experience, and
            intuition you're developing now will directly apply to most anything
            else you decide to tackle.

            Dave McGuire, AK4HZ