Tape Drives for sale

  • joshbensadon
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 30, 2012
      Hi,

      I found two tape drives for sale at my local surplus store.

      They are Reel to Reel drives, about 19" wide, 30" deep and 11" high.
      They have INTERTECHNOLOGY labels on the front.
      The model sticker is labeled:
      StorageTek
      Model: 9905R

      There is another sticker:
      800 bpi NRZ
      1600 bpi PE
      3200 bpi PE
      with check marks on the 1600 and 3200 formats.

      The store is asking $200 for the pair of drives.
      They might be able to get some tapes for it, not sure.

      Is this of interest to anyone, keep in mind, it will be expensive to ship. I am willing to drive them to the Canadian boarder at Niagra Falls, but the border crossing is yours to make.

      :) Josh
    • joshbensadon
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 16, 2012
        Hi,

        There are two big reel to reel tape drives for sale at my local surplus shop. They are StorageTek, Model 9905R. Included are about 6 reels of tapes. They are marked 1600 bpi PE and 3200 bpi PE.

        They are huge! meant for rack mount, 19" I guess.
        Pictures available upon request, I can hook you up to the store keeper and he can make you a good deal. If anyone is interested, I can drive them down to Niagra Falls, crossing the border is up to you.

        Storage Technology Manufacturing Ltd
        Lyon Way, Frimley Road, Camberley,
        Surrey, England. GU16 5ET
        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 16, 2012
          >> Storage Technology ... Surrey, England.

          Huh? StorageTek was hq'd in Colorado. Then they were bought by Sun, which was bought by Oracle.
        • joshbensadon
          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 16, 2012

            > >> Storage Technology ... Surrey, England.
            >
            > Huh? StorageTek was hq'd in Colorado. Then they were bought by Sun, which was bought by Oracle.

            I dunno, I'm just posting what's on the label.

            A picture is worth 1,000 words, or in this case several hundred thousand bytes.

            I uploaded pictures of these tape drives, look in photo's under the Josh Bensadon folder.
            Message 5 of 10 , Jul 16, 2012
              I donated two reels to MARCH, we may not need more...if they're cheap I
              guess, but it's a question of their historical significance.
              bd

              > There are two big reel to reel tape drives for sale at my local surplus
              shop. They are StorageTek, Model 9905R. Included are about 6 reels of
              tapes. They are marked 1600 bpi PE and 3200 bpi PE.

              > They are huge! meant for rack mount, 19" I guess.
              > Pictures available upon request, I can hook you up to the store keeper
              and he can make you a good deal. If anyone is interested, I can drive them
              down to Niagra Falls, crossing the border is up to you.

              > Storage Technology Manufacturing Ltd
              > Lyon Way, Frimley Road, Camberley,
              > Surrey, England. GU16 5ET

            • joshbensadon
              Message 6 of 10 , Jul 16, 2012

                > I donated two reels to MARCH, we may not need more...if they're cheap I
                > guess, but it's a question of their historical significance.

                What do you mean by "reels"? I'm talking about the entire tape drive unit. These things are big and heavy. I have no idea what kind of machine used them. My guess is they are tape backup units from the early 70's but they might be from the 60's? I wouldn't know. I'm sure many here know more about them than I.

                Message 7 of 10 , Jul 16, 2012
                  > --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "B. Degnan" <billdeg@...>
                  wrote:

                  > > I donated two reels to MARCH, we may not need more...if they're cheap I

                  > > guess, but it's a question of their historical significance.
                  > >

                  > What do you mean by "reels"? I'm talking about the entire tape drive
                  unit. These things are big and heavy. I have no idea what kind of machine
                  used them. My guess is they are tape backup units from the early 70's but
                  they might be from the 60's? I wouldn't know. I'm sure many here know
                  more about them than I.

                  Sorry...doing 15 things at once.

                  I donated two reel to reel tape drives to MARCH. I don't remember the
                  reel type, I don't have photos. They were not remarkable, but sounds like
                  you have something older, mine were from the 80's.
                  bd
                • William Donzelli
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jul 16, 2012
                    > > What do you mean by "reels"? I'm talking about the entire tape drive
                    > unit. These things are big and heavy. I have no idea what kind of machine
                    > used them. My guess is they are tape backup units from the early 70's but
                    > they might be from the 60's? I wouldn't know. I'm sure many here know
                    > more about them than I.

                    Can you provide a description, or better yet, pictures?

                    --
                    Will
                  • Bill Dromgoole
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jul 16, 2012
                      He already posted photos.

                      Message 10 of 10 , Jul 16, 2012
                        StorageTek had offices all over the world, and several production facilities as well; this isn't too out of the ordinary.

                        -Dave