Re: [midatlanticretro] Furthermore, who's into C/PM stuph?

  • Degnan
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 1, 2006
      Chris,

      I use CP/M or MP/M here and there, mostly for testing. I have a
      handful of systems that are native CP/M or CP/M 86..I have a lot
      of CP/M software and documentation. Tandy, COmmodore, Altos, and
      Televideo.

      Bill D

      At Wednesday, 1 March 2006, you wrote:

      >thus far, I own these:
      >
      >Sanyo MBC-1000, all in one, apparently non-functional
      >
      >Yamaha MSX puter (was told it runs or will run c/pm)
      >
      >I suppose the Epson QX-10 donated by Dave Bassett runs
      >c/pm also. But mine is equipped with the Titan 8088
      >card, so who would want anything else???????
      >.....Dave, we hardly knew ya :(
      >
      >thought I had other stuph. I'll let you know on the
      >next refresh cycle (my clock speed is reckoned in
      >hourse, days, or even weeks. Very retro ;).

      -- E N D --
    • Bob Applegate
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 2, 2006
        What timing! I fired up my CP/M system last night and was playing
        with Wordstar and some old BDS C code. It still seems perfectly
        normal to use CP/M even after all these years.

        It must be CP/M season! Hey Dave W, time to fire up those old IMSAI
        and TDL machines!

        One thing I *do* miss from my modern machines is the much improved
        video. Those old 80 column cards on green-screen monitors just don't
        look as good as a modern machine. I used to spend 8+ hours a day
        working on this system, but would probably go crazy if I had to do it
        now.

        Bob

        Degnan <billdeg@...> wrote :

        > Chris,
        >
        > I use CP/M or MP/M here and there, mostly for testing. I have a
        > handful of systems that are native CP/M or CP/M 86..I have a lot
        > of CP/M software and documentation. Tandy, COmmodore, Altos, and
        > Televideo.
        >
        > Bill D
        >
        > At Wednesday, 1 March 2006, you wrote:
        >
        > >thus far, I own these:
        > >
        > >Sanyo MBC-1000, all in one, apparently non-functional
        > >
        > >Yamaha MSX puter (was told it runs or will run c/pm)
        > >
        > >I suppose the Epson QX-10 donated by Dave Bassett runs
        > >c/pm also. But mine is equipped with the Titan 8088
        > >card, so who would want anything else???????
        > >.....Dave, we hardly knew ya :(
        > >
        > >thought I had other stuph. I'll let you know on the
        > >next refresh cycle (my clock speed is reckoned in
        > >hourse, days, or even weeks. Very retro ;).

        ___________________________________
        NOCC, http://nocc.sourceforge.net
      • Mike Loewen
        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 2, 2006
          On Thu, 2 Mar 2006, Bob Applegate wrote:

          > One thing I *do* miss from my modern machines is the much improved
          > video. Those old 80 column cards on green-screen monitors just don't
          > look as good as a modern machine. I used to spend 8+ hours a day
          > working on this system, but would probably go crazy if I had to do it
          > now.

          Same here. On my TRS-80 Model 4, I replaced the horrible, flickering
          white CRT with a long persistence amber CRT (Langley St. Clair), which
          made it a lot more tolerable. Even so, modern displays are easier on the
          eyes. My standard xterm setup is green-on-black. :-)

          Mike Loewen mloewen@...
        • Chris M
          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 2, 2006
            there were some absolutely lovely black and white
            monitors though. I had 1 with my original Mac II, and
            that thing was as sharp as a tack! I'm in the market
            for a large screen b & w monitor if anyone's got one
            by the way.

            > Same here. On my TRS-80 Model 4, I replaced the
            > horrible, flickering
            > white CRT with a long persistence amber CRT (Langley
            > St. Clair), which
            > made it a lot more tolerable.

            http://mail.yahoo.com
          • Chris M
            Message 5 of 10 , Mar 2, 2006
              I was pretty happy when I obtained the Sanyo MBC-1000
              from a classiccmp lister
              (http://www.old-computers.com/museum/computer.asp?st=1&c=1072).
              Of course it doesn't work, might be an "easy" fix
              though (my definition of an easy fix doesn't rule out
              a soldering iron and solder wick though!). I love the
              all-in-one units.

              Message 6 of 10 , Mar 2, 2006
                Does anyone have a Gatorbox CS for sale?

                Mike Loewen mloewen@...
                Message 7 of 10 , Mar 3, 2006
                  Chris,

                  The Yamaha MSX machine might run CP/M but what it is supposed to run is
                  MSX-DOS. Do you have the music keyboard and software? I've always wanted one
                  of those machines but, naturally, I'm not willing to pay real money for one.

                  Jim