Re: [midatlanticretro] Furthermore, who's into C/PM stuph?

  • Degnan
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 1, 2006
      Chris,

      I use CP/M or MP/M here and there, mostly for testing. I have a
      handful of systems that are native CP/M or CP/M 86..I have a lot
      of CP/M software and documentation. Tandy, COmmodore, Altos, and
      Televideo.

      Bill D

      At Wednesday, 1 March 2006, you wrote:

      >thus far, I own these:
      >
      >Sanyo MBC-1000, all in one, apparently non-functional
      >
      >Yamaha MSX puter (was told it runs or will run c/pm)
      >
      >I suppose the Epson QX-10 donated by Dave Bassett runs
      >c/pm also. But mine is equipped with the Titan 8088
      >card, so who would want anything else???????
      >.....Dave, we hardly knew ya :(
      >
      >thought I had other stuph. I'll let you know on the
      >next refresh cycle (my clock speed is reckoned in
      >hourse, days, or even weeks. Very retro ;).

      -- E N D --
    • evan
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 1, 2006
        Andy, good idea!!

        Bill D. -- can we merge the skills database with your inventory database?

        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 2, 2006
          What timing! I fired up my CP/M system last night and was playing
          with Wordstar and some old BDS C code. It still seems perfectly
          normal to use CP/M even after all these years.

          It must be CP/M season! Hey Dave W, time to fire up those old IMSAI
          and TDL machines!

          One thing I *do* miss from my modern machines is the much improved
          video. Those old 80 column cards on green-screen monitors just don't
          look as good as a modern machine. I used to spend 8+ hours a day
          working on this system, but would probably go crazy if I had to do it
          now.

          Bob

          Degnan <billdeg@...> wrote :

          > Chris,
          >
          > I use CP/M or MP/M here and there, mostly for testing. I have a
          > handful of systems that are native CP/M or CP/M 86..I have a lot
          > of CP/M software and documentation. Tandy, COmmodore, Altos, and
          > Televideo.
          >
          > Bill D
          >
          > At Wednesday, 1 March 2006, you wrote:
          >
          > >thus far, I own these:
          > >
          > >Sanyo MBC-1000, all in one, apparently non-functional
          > >
          > >Yamaha MSX puter (was told it runs or will run c/pm)
          > >
          > >I suppose the Epson QX-10 donated by Dave Bassett runs
          > >c/pm also. But mine is equipped with the Titan 8088
          > >card, so who would want anything else???????
          > >.....Dave, we hardly knew ya :(
          > >
          > >thought I had other stuph. I'll let you know on the
          > >next refresh cycle (my clock speed is reckoned in
          > >hourse, days, or even weeks. Very retro ;).

          ___________________________________
          NOCC, http://nocc.sourceforge.net
        • Mike Loewen
          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 2, 2006
            On Thu, 2 Mar 2006, Bob Applegate wrote:

            > One thing I *do* miss from my modern machines is the much improved
            > video. Those old 80 column cards on green-screen monitors just don't
            > look as good as a modern machine. I used to spend 8+ hours a day
            > working on this system, but would probably go crazy if I had to do it
            > now.

            Same here. On my TRS-80 Model 4, I replaced the horrible, flickering
            white CRT with a long persistence amber CRT (Langley St. Clair), which
            made it a lot more tolerable. Even so, modern displays are easier on the
            eyes. My standard xterm setup is green-on-black. :-)

            Mike Loewen mloewen@...
          • Chris M
            Message 5 of 10 , Mar 2, 2006
              there were some absolutely lovely black and white
              monitors though. I had 1 with my original Mac II, and
              that thing was as sharp as a tack! I'm in the market
              for a large screen b & w monitor if anyone's got one
              by the way.

              > Same here. On my TRS-80 Model 4, I replaced the
              > horrible, flickering
              > white CRT with a long persistence amber CRT (Langley
              > St. Clair), which
              > made it a lot more tolerable.

              http://mail.yahoo.com
            • Chris M
              Message 6 of 10 , Mar 2, 2006
                I was pretty happy when I obtained the Sanyo MBC-1000
                from a classiccmp lister
                (http://www.old-computers.com/museum/computer.asp?st=1&c=1072).
                Of course it doesn't work, might be an "easy" fix
                though (my definition of an easy fix doesn't rule out
                a soldering iron and solder wick though!). I love the
                all-in-one units.

                Message 7 of 10 , Mar 2, 2006
                  Does anyone have a Gatorbox CS for sale?

                  Mike Loewen mloewen@...
                  Message 8 of 10 , Mar 3, 2006
                    Chris,

                    The Yamaha MSX machine might run CP/M but what it is supposed to run is
                    MSX-DOS. Do you have the music keyboard and software? I've always wanted one
                    of those machines but, naturally, I'm not willing to pay real money for one.

                    Jim