Re: [midatlanticretro] Tandy stuff available

  • tfagan@triad.rr.com
    Message 1 of 14 , Mar 1, 2006
      Tandy's claim (I believe) was based on the Sensation being the first
      (?) mainstream PC to have the graphics/sound capabilities it had, as
      well as the fact it had a CD-Rom (Ooooooooooh!!! :->)

      As Mason T. e-mailed off-list (he knew me from NJ back in the 80s) - I
      should bite my tongue calling the Sensation the 'first' multimedia
      machine when I, myself, was a very happy Amiga owner through the late
      80s! I defended myself by pointing out it was Tandy's propogan...
      er... advertising for the machine that made that claim - not me
      personally! :-)

      I'd also like to apologize for my retro-group faux pas. I even read
      the FAQ Saturday when I signed up, and what is one of my first posts
      about??? A 486 machine!!! Doh!

      I just wanted to know if it was considered rare, but more importantly
      from you 'smarter-than-me-about-these-matters' forum participants - if
      a 486 will run 286 and 386 software reliably. That's actually what I
      wanted to know most. My bad... Take solace in the fact that 90+% of my
      vast collection came into existence between the late 70s and the mid
      80s! ;-)))

      --Timster--
    • evan
      Message 2 of 14 , Mar 1, 2006
        Mike, thanks for your message.  We always like to see people emerge from the crevices of our mailing list..

        - Evan

        Message 3 of 14 , Mar 1, 2006
          I suppose it's okay to talk about running vintage software on not-quite-vintage computers.  Basically what we avoid at all costs is the "W" term.

          Message 4 of 14 , Mar 1, 2006
            hey Evan...you wouldnt by some chance mean
            WWWIIINNNDDDOOOWWWSSS, would you???
            --- midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com <evan@...>
            wrote:
            > I suppose it's okay to talk about running vintage
            software on
            > not-quite-vintage computers. Basically what we
            avoid at all costs is the
            > "W" term.
            >
            > _____

            :->)

            > As Mason T. e-mailed off-list (he knew me from NJ
            back in the 80s) - I
            > should bite my tongue calling the Sensation the
            'first' multimedia
            > machine when I, myself, was a very happy Amiga owner
            through the late
            > 80s! I defended myself by pointing out it was
            Tandy's propogan...
            > er... advertising for the machine that made that
            claim - not me
            > personally! :-)
            >
            > I'd also like to apologize for my retro-group faux
            pas. I even read
            > the FAQ Saturday when I signed up, and what is one
            of my first posts
            > about??? A 486 machine!!! Doh!
            >
            > I just wanted to know if it was considered rare, but
            more importantly
            > from you 'smarter-than-me-about-these-matters' forum
            participants - if
            > a 486 will run 286 and 386 software reliably. That's
            actually what I
            > wanted to know most. My bad... Take solace in the
            fact that 90+% of my
            > vast collection came into existence between the late
            70s and the mid
            > 80s! ;-)))
            >
            > --Timster--

            > Vintage

            =Computer+security&w3=Computer+training&w4=Field+trip&c=4&s=84&.sig=yQK66sIa
            > fWZWnP-61n_BTQ> computer Computer

            2=Computer+security&w3=Computer+training&w4=Field+trip&c=4&s=84&.sig=bvgAN5E
            > Yj4oAGQSA29LvCw> security Computer

            2=Computer+security&w3=Computer+training&w4=Field+trip&c=4&s=84&.sig=E3VSZZU
            > ZIYQJD2FP1DwFdw> training
            > Field

            ter+security&w3=Computer+training&w4=Field+trip&c=4&s=84&.sig=6Bps2Ok95uCsZL
            > SwdHWZfg> trip
            >
            > _____
            >
            > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
            >

            > * Visit your group "midatlanticretro
            > <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/midatlanticretro> "
            on the web.

            Yahoo! Terms of Service
            > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .
            >

            > _____

            http://mail.yahoo.com
          • evan
            Message 5 of 14 , Mar 1, 2006
              I'll know it when I hear it.

              Message 6 of 14 , Mar 3, 2006
                Mike:

                sounds like a fare enough deal to me. If you have a coco3 you don't need (especially any games, floppy drive or joysticks) I'd really be interested. Send me a private email if you're interested and we'll arrange something offline.

                Kelly

                PS All 16s have been accounted for. Still have a few model 12's and a few model II's.