re: [midatlanticretro] Small Portable Relevant

    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 26, 2012
      There seems to be a bit more latitude for small/portable computers (not calculators or phones) that are newer as long as they are  evolutionary dead ends.  Windows CE handhelds are not vintage yet while your early HP handhelds from the same early 90's would be more so.  Palm stuff not quite yet.

      The vintage test of small portables and handhelds would be...fanfare please...

      "Is the system that you would typically link the portable/handheld to a vintage computer or not?"

      i.e. if the installation software that came with the portable/handheld connection cable is on a CD ROM, it ain't vintage.  If the drivers diskette says "Windows 95..." it ain't vintage, same with a newer MAC-based OS.

      It's subjective.  You're safer to claim "vintage" the older an item is than 1988 (as apposed to '98), I would veto the Portfolio as vintage.

      Bill