Workshop Weekend Update - Read if you're coming

    Message 1 of 24 , Jun 26, 2012

      All,

      SATURDAY June 30

      Evan and I will arrive at about the same time Saturday, noon.  I am not sure if anyone will be able to get in before that unless you coordinate in advance with Evan to find someone to let you in.

      For those of you coming Sat, please send corrections to the following:

      I have heard that Dave Gesswein is bringing items of his that are related to the PDP 8e so he can use these to work on MARCH's 8e.  I am not sure if he is bringing a teletype as well.

      Herb is bringing 2 SOL-20's and a Northstar Horizon.  Goal is to restore the keyboards of the SOL's and to use the N* to customize OS disks for use in the SOLs.  He will also be bringing keyboard restoration materials.  If he has space he will bring either his PDP 8m and/or a teletype or two.  Any requests for Herb?

      I am bringing my one SOL-20, and S-100 cards that would be useful for it, N* OS and N* CP/M disks, a working external drive with N* controller, and docs.  I will have equipment for chips and IC repairs.  I could bring a teletype if Dave Gesswein needs one to use with the PDP 8, I have one with a reader relay circuit (disconnected at the moment).  Dave - please let me know.  I will also bring a few useful things for c64 repair to assist Jeff.

      I forget what Bill Dromgoole said he is bringing ..  Bill?

      There is the guy with the early Mac that needs caps, I don't have my email history at the momement. Please advise again your name and when you plan to arrive.

      There is Jeff Brace's c64 armada.

      Evan will be working on MARCH's SBC's?

      Anyone else?

      The workshop will last from 12noon to about 2AM, and then we'll pick up again in the morning until Lee arrives in mid-day Sunday.

      -----------------
      Food/Drink - Bring your own/share.
      Sleeping bag - bring one if you plan to stay over night, Evan may have details about the way that will work/room to sleep.

      Bill
    • Bill Sudbrink
      Message 2 of 24 , Jun 26, 2012

        I’m coming Sunday morning.  I’m bringing my Sol-20 and my PT Subsystem-B loaded IMSAI (basically a Sol with a front panel).  Both run CP/M on N* controllers.  I will also bring my 10-sector punch if I can find the darn thing (I started looking last night… only about 20 boxes to go).  I will be able to stay until Sunday afternoon, making disks for people who want them.  I wouldn’t mind getting N* DOS running on my units, I run CP/M on everything right now, including my Horizon.

        Bill S.

[...]

        No virus found in this message.

      • J. Alexander Jacocks
        Message 3 of 24 , Jun 26, 2012
          On Tue, Jun 26, 2012 at 11:53 AM, B. Degnan <billdeg@...> wrote:

[...]

          I'm the guy who's bringing the Macs.  I'll also be bringing an Apple IIe power supply that I need to replace the AC filtering cap on.  I'd also be happy to bring any other items that might be helpful, if there are any such.

          Thanks!
          - Alex
        • David Gesswein
          Message 4 of 24 , Jun 26, 2012
            On Tue, Jun 26, 2012 at 11:53:27AM -0400, B. Degnan wrote:

            > I have heard that Dave Gesswein is bringing items of his that are related
            > to the PDP 8e so he can use these to work on MARCH's 8e. I am not sure if
            > he is bringing a teletype as well.

            I was planning to bring a working 8/M with RK05 controller and a good pack
            for testing the MARCH PDP-8 and RK05's. Still trying to get it configured with
            a good set of boards. I will bring DECmate boot disks and possibly a
            DECmate II for testing MARCH's.

            I am bringing some tools for people who were interested in repair tools to try
            and for my work.

            I wasn't going to bring a teletype though will see about fixing the one
            that is acting up.

            If anything else is useful to others to bring let me know.
            Message 5 of 24 , Jun 26, 2012
              >> Evan will be working on MARCH's SBC's?

              Not quite fair to say I'll be "working on" them ... I'll see if they happen to work and/or have obvious problems; beyond that is probably out of my league. :)
              Message 6 of 24 , Jun 26, 2012
                People should also bring MONEY ... Especially anyone who wants to buy C-64s by the dozen. :)
                Message 7 of 24 , Jun 26, 2012
                  >> I will bring DECmate boot disks

                  We have the disks you mailed me for the DECmate II -- same ones?
                • Neil Cherry
                  Message 8 of 24 , Jun 26, 2012
                    On 06/26/2012 12:48 PM, Evan Koblentz wrote:

                    > People should also bring MONEY ... Especially anyone who wants to buy C-64s by the dozen. :)

                    You're going to pay me to take them? I'm not sure that will help.

                    Your friendly Atari Hack. ;-)

                    http://www.linuxha.com/ Main site
                    http://linuxha.blogspot.com/ My HA Blog
                  • David Gesswein
                    Message 9 of 24 , Jun 26, 2012
                      On Tue, Jun 26, 2012 at 04:49:54PM +0000, Evan Koblentz wrote:
                      > >> I will bring DECmate boot disks
                      >
                      > We have the disks you mailed me for the DECmate II -- same ones?

                      Yup. I have ones with other content but the ones I mailed are sufficient.
                    • Mike Loewen
                      Message 10 of 24 , Jun 26, 2012
                        On Tue, 26 Jun 2012, B. Degnan wrote:

                        > SATURDAY June 30
                        >
                        > Evan and I will arrive at about the same time Saturday, noon. I am not
                        > sure if anyone will be able to get in before that unless you coordinate in
                        > advance with Evan to find someone to let you in.
                        >
                        > For those of you coming Sat, please send corrections to the following:

                        > Anyone else?

                        I'll be there shortly after lunch, with an ASR-33. I'll also be
                        working on the museum's 029 keypunch.

                        Mike Loewen mloewen@...
                      • Mr Ian Primus
                        Message 11 of 24 , Jun 26, 2012
                          --- On Tue, 6/26/12, Bill Sudbrink <wh.sudbrink@...> wrote:

                          > I will also bring my 10-sector punch if I can find the darn thing

                          > I wouldn’t mind getting N* DOS running on my units, I run CP/M on
                          > everything right now, including my Horizon.

                          Speaking of Northstar, hard sector floppies, and N* DOS, does anyone here have an Advantage? I've got one, but no bootable media. And only a couple of blank hard sector floppies. And I need to fix the keyboard...

                          -Ian
                        • Bill Sudbrink
                          Message 12 of 24 , Jun 26, 2012
                            Mr Ian Primus wrote:
                            > --- On Tue, 6/26/12, Bill Sudbrink <wh.sudbrink@...> wrote:
                            >
                            > > I will also bring my 10-sector punch if I can find the darn thing
                            >
                            > > I wouldn’t mind getting N* DOS running on my units, I run CP/M on
                            > > everything right now, including my Horizon.
                            >
                            > Speaking of Northstar, hard sector floppies, and N* DOS, does anyone
                            > here have an Advantage? I've got one, but no bootable media. And only a
                            > couple of blank hard sector floppies. And I need to fix the keyboard...

                            Yes, I have an Advantage... it's fairly far back in my repair queue right
                            now though...

                            Bill S.
                            Message 13 of 24 , Jun 26, 2012
                              >> You're going to pay me to take them?

                              It's tempting! We have WAY too many of those. So I look and them and see money for the club.

                                Message 15 of 24 , Jun 26, 2012
                                  On Tue, Jun 26, 2012 at 5:33 PM, B. Degnan <billdeg@...> wrote:

                                  OK

                                  There is the guy with the early Mac that needs caps, I don't have my email history at the momement. Please advise again your name and when you plan to arrive.

                                  Bill,

                                  I'm the guy who's bringing the Macs.  I'll also be bringing an Apple IIe power supply that I need to replace the AC filtering cap on.  I'd also be happy to bring any other items that might be helpful, if there are any such.

                                  Oh, and I will be arriving on Saturday, at around noon.

                                  Thanks!
                                  - Alex
                                  Message 16 of 24 , Jun 26, 2012
                                    Oh, and I will be arriving on Saturday, at around noon.

                                    Thanks!
                                    Evan and  I are both known for being late sometimes, so bring a book just in case you're exactlyon time.

                                    bill
                                  • s100doctor
                                    Message 17 of 24 , Jun 27, 2012

                                      > Speaking of Northstar, hard sector floppies, and N* DOS, does anyone here have an Advantage? I've got one, but no bootable media. And only a couple of blank hard sector floppies. And I need to fix the keyboard...
                                      >
                                      > -Ian

                                      I have Advantages but no time to mess with them. Correspond with me privately about them. Didn't I contact you before about this? See about determining if a Horizon disk will boot on an Advantage.

                                      Herb Johnson
                                    • s100doctor
                                      Message 18 of 24 , Jun 27, 2012
                                        I'll bring at least one SOL-20 probably two. I have the N* drive and controller, untested, from one of those SOL's.

                                        I'm not having much success making satisfactory key "cushions" to fix the keycaps. Bill, bring what you can to make some SOL keys on-site. I did make a keyboard power/display device, so we can run keyboards without working SOLs, if I built it right.

                                        I'll likely bring my working N* Horizon, which was exhibited at InfoAge in April. It ran CP/M. I'll take time to see that I can boot N* DOS; I have disks but did not work on that.

                                        I'll bring my unpowered-up PDP-8/F. Unlikely we'll power it up, but it will be in good company.

                                        Tools: oscilloscope, soldering iron, hand tools, DVM, usual stuff.

                                        I don't see bringing any TTY's, given that load! Plus a cot to sleep on, as I'll stay over in the "cottage".

                                        I'll arrive Saturday noonish. I can leave anytime Sunday. I'll forage for food.

                                        Herb
                                      • Jeffrey Brace
                                        Message 19 of 24 , Jun 27, 2012
                                          Message 20 of 24 , Jun 28, 2012
                                            >> I'll bring my unpowered-up PDP-8/F. Unlikely we'll power it up, but it will be in good company.

                                            If there's time then I can take our /E out of storage, clean it, etc. ... We haven't touched it since rescuing it from the Kirk estate, and who knows how many years/decades transpired since he last touched it...
                                          • David Gesswein
                                            Message 21 of 24 , Jun 28, 2012
                                              On Thu, Jun 28, 2012 at 12:55:35PM +0000, Evan Koblentz wrote:

                                              > If there's time then I can take our /E out of storage, clean it,
                                              > etc. ... We haven't touched it since rescuing it from the Kirk estate,
                                              > and who knows how many years/decades transpired since he last touched it...

                                              Working on it was part of my plans. You can work on it until you reach
                                              the limits of your knowledge then we can work together or I can take over.
                                              I think you also had a peripheral with it but I can't remember the details.
                                              Message 22 of 24 , Jun 28, 2012
                                                >> Working on it was part of my plans. You can work on it until you reach the limits of your knowledge

                                                That won't take long. :) All I plan to do is open it up and de-crappify the inside.
                                              • David Gesswein
                                                Message 23 of 24 , Jun 28, 2012
                                                  Which building are we in (and how do we recognize it)?
                                                  Is it air conditioned?
                                                  Where are we supposed to park?
                                                  Message 24 of 24 , Jun 28, 2012
                                                    We're in the telecom building. That's the one where we hold VCF workshops and our holiday party -- it's the small building immediately to the right when you pass through the main gate. We'll put a sign outside the door. I think the building has AC.

                                                    Park in the main lot.

                                                    As always, it's very important to close the gate behind you.