Thread drift

    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 26, 2012
      Recent threads are drifting too much.

      Please change the subject line(s) and remember to use "OT:" prefixes when appropriate.

      Jeff B.: Don't electrocute yourself.
    • s100doctor
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 26, 2012
        "Evan Koblentz" <evan@...> wrote:

        > Recent threads are drifting too much.
        >
        > Please change the subject line(s) and remember to use "OT:" prefixes when appropriate.

        I agree with the above. But there's another, related problem.

        I read the MARCH list from the Web, using Yahoo's Groups Web pages. (I assume most MARCH participants have an email feed.) That access shows messages either in date order, or by "topic" (Subject line). But I see that by topic, the "subject" line per message can sometimes change, but the messages are still linked under the same "topic". A thread can have more than one subject line. Access the Yahoo groups Web page and messages for MARCH yourself to see what I mean.

        From the Web on Yahoo, one can either "reply" to a message (and also change the subject line); or "post" a new message with a new topic. For example, this msg is a "reply" from the Web pages. I don't get MARCH emails, so I can't reply that way.

        Can someone who actually KNOWS how this works, please explain? (Don't guess, just facts.) And provide some guidance on how to start a new thread, cleanly separate from the old; by email or by Web? I've posted about this before, but apparently few use the Web interface, so did not care what others saw form the Web. The problem is now worse.

        Herb Johnson
      • joshbensadon
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 26, 2012
          Sorry guys, I'm bad for going off topic.
          I don't know about the rest of the group, but I'm all for a little experimentation.
          I'm testing to see if the Subject line changes.
          This message was sent through the email link, the subject line was changed to "OT: Testing..."
        • Alexey Toptygin
          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 26, 2012
            On Tue, 26 Jun 2012, s100doctor wrote:

            > I read the MARCH list from the Web, using Yahoo's Groups Web pages. (I
            > assume most MARCH participants have an email feed.) That access shows
            > messages either in date order, or by "topic" (Subject line). But I see
            > that by topic, the "subject" line per message can sometimes change, but
            > the messages are still linked under the same "topic". A thread can have
            > more than one subject line. Access the Yahoo groups Web page and
            > messages for MARCH yourself to see what I mean.
            >
            > From the Web on Yahoo, one can either "reply" to a message (and also
            > change the subject line); or "post" a new message with a new topic. For
            > example, this msg is a "reply" from the Web pages. I don't get MARCH
            > emails, so I can't reply that way.
            >
            > Can someone who actually KNOWS how this works, please explain? (Don't
            > guess, just facts.) And provide some guidance on how to start a new
            > thread, cleanly separate from the old; by email or by Web? I've posted
            > about this before, but apparently few use the Web interface, so did not
            > care what others saw form the Web. The problem is now worse.

            MUAs add an In-Reply-To header with the message id of the message being
            replied to when you hit reply. Thus Yahoo (or any other MUA) doesn't have
            to make guesses about the headers in order to glue the thread together.

            If you want to quote the content of a previous message but not have it be
            part of the original thread, you either have to manually copy and paste
            the content you are quoting into a new message or use an MUA that lets you
            disable the In-Reply-To header when replying (I don't know of any that do
            out of the box).

            Alexey
          • s100doctor
            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 27, 2012

              > Sorry guys, I'm bad for going off topic.
              > I don't know about the rest of the group, but I'm all for a little experimentation.
              > I'm testing to see if the Subject line changes.
              > This message was sent through the email link, the subject line was changed to "OT: Testing..."

              Well, from the Web interface at yahoo.com, your message above is shown as in the same "thread" as "re: thread drift". The subject line has changed. And, as I'm replying using the yahoo.com Web interface for "reply"..."post message", I expect MY message to be displayed in the same thread on the Web interface. Josh, your email reader may show different results or not.

              I think, to REALLY start a new thread, one must start with a clean message, not "reply" to the previous one; and cut and paste such content as needed from the previous message in the "old" thread.

              This does not entirely address Evan's concerns about topic drift, but may help. Given a "thread" with multiple "Subject" lines, it's hard to determine what the "topic" is at any point, especially retroactively.

              Herb Johnson
            • Jeffrey Brace
              Message 6 of 7 , Jun 27, 2012
                Message 7 of 7 , Jun 27, 2012