Re: [midatlanticretro] Re: Z80 ICE mod for Eprom Emulator

    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 24, 2012
      Absolutely! After all, the original 8080 BASIC was written and debugged in emulation.

      Jim

      Sent from my ASUS Eee Pad

      Dan Roganti <ragooman@...> wrote:

      On Mon, Jun 18, 2012 at 7:52 PM, Mike <mike@...> wrote:

      These days,  I use emulators with embedded debug features running on modern PCs to debug programs destined to run on vintage hardware.  Once everything is worked out, I'll load and run on the real hardware.  For my SCELBI project, I wrote my own 8008 emulator with some basic debug features that runs in a unix shell.

      That can help to a degree. But In many designs, you have a level of support hardware surrounding the processor - the various peripherals - besides the cpu and ram, which needs to get debugged. Simulation can help tremendously in this area, given the available models - and time and money - but it can't rule out the last 5%. In the end, debugging the silicon is still going to be required. I don't plan to build a simulation to include models of all the standard and custom peripherals for my Z80 design. So I have to resort to using an ICE, along with my scope and logic analyzer.

      =Dan