Re: [midatlanticretro] Tandy stuff available

  • Sridhar Ayengar
    Message 1 of 14 , Feb 28, 2006
      evan wrote:
      > Tim, the vast majority of 386/486 systems are off-topic here (too new
      > and mostly uninteresting) ... it's okay to post as long as it doesn't
      > get to be a trend ... but just keep this in mind.

      That's not the only thing. This isn't nearly the first multimedia PC
      out there. I had AV-in and AV-out with primitive non-linear editing and
      storyboarding on my 16-bit MCA PS/2 Model 50 running on a 80286-10 in 1988.

      Peace... Sridhar

      Message 2 of 14 , Mar 1, 2006
        could someone define multimedia for me?

        --- Sridhar Ayengar <ploopster@...> wrote:

        > I had AV-in and AV-out with primitive
        > non-linear editing and
        > storyboarding on my 16-bit MCA PS/2 Model 50 running
        > on a 80286-10 in 1988.
        >
        > Peace... Sridhar

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • M. Frank
        Message 3 of 14 , Mar 1, 2006
          Kelly  I havn't posted here before because I'm not as computer literate as everyone else.  However, I would love a Model 12 or 16 as I have only ever seen them at your exhibit at TCF last year.  I have a working color computer 3 and a box of TRS-80 stuff which I'm sure you have but you could check. (maybe there is something there you could use)   A coco3 is not an equal trade for a 12 or 16 and I'm happy to make a contribution and also pay you some gas money for the trips to South Jersey which I'm sure added up to over 500 miles.  Also I live in Somerset County NJ and a trip up North is fine with me  Thanks Mike
          PS  I'm not looking for a Model II b/c I've used them

          Kelly Leavitt <kelly@...> wrote:
          These are in addition to any other trades already made (BillD and Mike)...

          Model II's (2 of them)
          Model II drive units (2 of them)
          Model 12's (3 of them)
          Model 16b's (at least 2)
          8" disks, new in shrink wrap
          DMP410 printer
          All the computers have matching keyboards.

          Have to come to North Jersey if you want any (limit one each to a customer).
          I'll post on ClassicCmp on comp.sys.tandy Thursday if no one else wants
          them. Trade me something Tandy, or something else interesting....

          I need a Tandy DT-100 terminal
          A functional Model I
          A PT-210 (I think, printing terminal, looks like a CoCo)
          A CoCo 3
          CoCo multipack interface
          Any of the hand held Tandy computer (not the 100 line, I have those)
          A functional Model 600
          Tandy VM-1 monitor or Multisync II or original Multisync
          A functional Model 2000
          A functional Model 1000a (may as well start on the PC lines)

          Kelly

          Yahoo! Mail

        • tfagan@triad.rr.com
          Message 4 of 14 , Mar 1, 2006
            Tandy's claim (I believe) was based on the Sensation being the first
            (?) mainstream PC to have the graphics/sound capabilities it had, as
            well as the fact it had a CD-Rom (Ooooooooooh!!! :->)

            As Mason T. e-mailed off-list (he knew me from NJ back in the 80s) - I
            should bite my tongue calling the Sensation the 'first' multimedia
            machine when I, myself, was a very happy Amiga owner through the late
            80s! I defended myself by pointing out it was Tandy's propogan...
            er... advertising for the machine that made that claim - not me
            personally! :-)

            I'd also like to apologize for my retro-group faux pas. I even read
            the FAQ Saturday when I signed up, and what is one of my first posts
            about??? A 486 machine!!! Doh!

            I just wanted to know if it was considered rare, but more importantly
            from you 'smarter-than-me-about-these-matters' forum participants - if
            a 486 will run 286 and 386 software reliably. That's actually what I
            wanted to know most. My bad... Take solace in the fact that 90+% of my
            vast collection came into existence between the late 70s and the mid
            80s! ;-)))

            --Timster--
          • evan
            Message 5 of 14 , Mar 1, 2006
              Mike, thanks for your message.  We always like to see people emerge from the crevices of our mailing list..

              - Evan

              Message 6 of 14 , Mar 1, 2006
                I suppose it's okay to talk about running vintage software on not-quite-vintage computers.  Basically what we avoid at all costs is the "W" term.

                Message 7 of 14 , Mar 1, 2006
                  hey Evan...you wouldnt by some chance mean
                  WWWIIINNNDDDOOOWWWSSS, would you???
                  --- midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com <evan@...>
                  wrote:
                  > I suppose it's okay to talk about running vintage
                  software on
                  > not-quite-vintage computers. Basically what we
                  avoid at all costs is the
                  > "W" term.
                  >
                  > _____

                  :->)

                  > As Mason T. e-mailed off-list (he knew me from NJ
                  back in the 80s) - I
                  > should bite my tongue calling the Sensation the
                  'first' multimedia
                  > machine when I, myself, was a very happy Amiga owner
                  through the late
                  > 80s! I defended myself by pointing out it was
                  Tandy's propogan...
                  > er... advertising for the machine that made that
                  claim - not me
                  > personally! :-)
                  >
                  > I'd also like to apologize for my retro-group faux
                  pas. I even read
                  > the FAQ Saturday when I signed up, and what is one
                  of my first posts
                  > about??? A 486 machine!!! Doh!
                  >
                  > I just wanted to know if it was considered rare, but
                  more importantly
                  > from you 'smarter-than-me-about-these-matters' forum
                  participants - if
                  > a 486 will run 286 and 386 software reliably. That's
                  actually what I
                  > wanted to know most. My bad... Take solace in the
                  fact that 90+% of my
                  > vast collection came into existence between the late
                  70s and the mid
                  > 80s! ;-)))
                  >
                  > --Timster--

                  > Vintage

                  =Computer+security&w3=Computer+training&w4=Field+trip&c=4&s=84&.sig=yQK66sIa
                  > fWZWnP-61n_BTQ> computer Computer

                  2=Computer+security&w3=Computer+training&w4=Field+trip&c=4&s=84&.sig=bvgAN5E
                  > Yj4oAGQSA29LvCw> security Computer

                  2=Computer+security&w3=Computer+training&w4=Field+trip&c=4&s=84&.sig=E3VSZZU
                  > ZIYQJD2FP1DwFdw> training
                  > Field

                  ter+security&w3=Computer+training&w4=Field+trip&c=4&s=84&.sig=6Bps2Ok95uCsZL
                  > SwdHWZfg> trip
                  >
                  > _____
                  >
                  > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
                  >

                  > * Visit your group "midatlanticretro
                  > <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/midatlanticretro> "
                  on the web.

                  Yahoo! Terms of Service
                  > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .
                  >

                  > _____

                  http://mail.yahoo.com
                • evan
                  Message 8 of 14 , Mar 1, 2006
                    I'll know it when I hear it.

                    Message 9 of 14 , Mar 3, 2006
                      Mike:

                      sounds like a fare enough deal to me. If you have a coco3 you don't need (especially any games, floppy drive or joysticks) I'd really be interested. Send me a private email if you're interested and we'll arrange something offline.

                      Kelly

                      PS All 16s have been accounted for. Still have a few model 12's and a few model II's.