Magazines

    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 23, 2012
      In more news from today .... Bill Drom., beside being very early :)
      also said he's got the Radio Electronics issue with the Mark-8 article
      for our museum (and a Pennywhistle modem!) That's great news! We already
      have the Popular Electronics "Build your own TV Typewriter" issue and
      the Altair issue too. Anybody have the October '71 issue of Esquire
      magazine to donate/loan to us? That's the one with the "Secrets of the
      Little Blue Box" article.
    • Mike Loewen
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 23, 2012
        On Sat, 23 Jun 2012, Evan Koblentz wrote:

        > Anybody have the October '71 issue of Esquire magazine to donate/loan to
        > us? That's the one with the "Secrets of the Little Blue Box" article.

        Only a copy. :-)

        Mike Loewen mloewen@...
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 23, 2012
          >> Anybody have the October '71 issue of Esquire magazine to donate/loan to us? That's the one with the "Secrets of the Little Blue Box" article.
          > Only a copy. :-)

          Thanks, but we'd like the real thing.

          The article is online, of course. (And as a side note, I don't like the
          guy who wrote it. I dislike him very much. But that's an offline,
          off-topic discussion.)
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 23, 2012
            Are there any poptronics or radio electronics issues with an article about the blue boxes?

            In more news from today .... Bill Drom., beside being very early :)
            also said he's got the Radio Electronics issue with the Mark-8 article
            for our museum (and a Pennywhistle modem!) That's great news! We already
            have the Popular Electronics "Build your own TV Typewriter" issue and
            the Altair issue too. Anybody have the October '71 issue of Esquire
            magazine to donate/loan to us? That's the one with the "Secrets of the
            Little Blue Box" article.

            <*> Your email settings:
            Individual Email | Traditional

            <*> To change settings online go to:
            (Yahoo! ID required)

            <*> To change settings via email:
            midatlanticretro-digest@yahoogroups.com

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 23, 2012
              > Are there any poptronics or radio electronics issues with an article
              > about the blue boxes?

              Probably, but Esquire Oct. '71 is the historic one.

              I'm also fond of Esquire July '08, which is the issue for which they
              paid us a small fortune to rent and photograph some computers. :)
            • joshbensadon
              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 23, 2012

                > Are there any poptronics or radio electronics issues with an article about
                > the blue boxes?

                Poptronics didn't come out until year 2000.
                I searched Popular Electronics 1970 to 1974 (just the covers) but did not see any hint of Phone Hacking. IMHO, PE wouldn't publish such articles. I did remember seeing a phone dialer that accessed the 4th column, and I found the article in Jan 1976 of Radio Electronics. But they call it a "Pocket Computer Terminal" and a quick glance through the article does not reveal any mischievious uses for the device.
                If I have more time tomorrow, I might continue searching RE back to 1970.

                Josh
                Message 7 of 8 , Jun 23, 2012
                  >> Poptronics didn't come out until year 2000.

                  He meant is as shorthand for the Popular Electronics.
                • joshbensadon
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jun 24, 2012

                    > >> Poptronics didn't come out until year 2000.
                    >
                    > He meant is as shorthand for the Popular Electronics.

                    Sorry, I'm just playing the "Garbage in - Garbage out" game.

                    I'm sure most people know Poptronics was the result of two magazines merging to become one. I just wanted to be factual for the few that might not be familiar with these magazines.

                    Cheers,
                    Josh