Time Machine

    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 23, 2012
      This month's Golden Turkey award goes to Bill Dromgoole, who moments ago called me -- from the museum -- looking for our tech weekend. Alas, he was off by 7 days.

      MARCH members are just * that * enthusiastic about our events!!
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 23, 2012
        On 06/23/2012 01:47 PM, Evan Koblentz wrote:
        > This month's Golden Turkey award goes to Bill Dromgoole, who moments ago called me -- from the museum -- looking for our tech weekend. Alas, he was off by 7 days.
        >
        > MARCH members are just * that * enthusiastic about our events!!

        ROFL!!

        --
        Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 23, 2012
          I was sitting in a bar when my phone rang.

          Me: "Hi Bill."
          Bill: "Where is everyone meeting?"
          Me: "For the tech weekend?"
          Bill: "Yeah."
          Me: "At the museum."
          Bill: "I don't see anyone."
          Me: "You're there now!!??"
          Bill: "Yeah. Where is everyone?"
          Me: "Dude, it's NEXT weekend!"
          (Long, awkward silence.)
          Bill: "Crap."
        • Bill Dromgoole
          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 23, 2012
            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 23, 2012
              On 06/23/2012 05:36 PM, Bill Dromgoole wrote:
              >> This month's Golden Turkey award goes to Bill Dromgoole, who moments ago
              >> called me -- from the museum -- looking for our tech weekend. Alas, he was off
              >> by 7 days.
              >>
              >> MARCH members are just * that * enthusiastic about our events!!
              >
              > I am home again.
              > Shortest tech weekend ever.
              > I did get to give one tour of the musem to John from the radio museum.
              > Of course, he also gave me a tour of his clubs museum.
              >
              > I had a Hakko 936 temperature controled soldering ststion with me.
              > I like it a lot. Unfortunately it is discontinued. Except on eBay.
              > it is replaced by the model FX-888 which is about $81.00 at Amazon.
              >
              > http://www.amazon.com/Hakko-FX-888-Soldering-Station/dp/B004M3U0VU
              >
              > I've never had any luck with braid for desoldering.
              > I like the solder sucker.
              > I use the plastic one I think is from OK industries.
              > I'll try braid again if someone would give me a part number for a known good
              > brand.

              I use MG Chemicals' Super Wick. As Mike and I were just discussing
              offline, this is probably at least partially a matter of personal
              preference and what tools we develop the skillset with initially, but
              quality of tools does make a big difference here. I've used Radio Shack
              (for example) braid before as well, and found it to be basically useless.

              Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
              New Kensington, PA
            • joshbensadon
              Message 6 of 7 , Jun 23, 2012
                > > I've never had any luck with braid for desoldering.
                > > I like the solder sucker.
                > > I use the plastic one I think is from OK industries.
                > > I'll try braid again if someone would give me a part number for a known good
                > > brand.
                >
                > I use MG Chemicals' Super Wick. As Mike and I were just discussing
                > offline, this is probably at least partially a matter of personal
                > preference and what tools we develop the skillset with initially, but
                > quality of tools does make a big difference here. I've used Radio Shack
                > (for example) braid before as well, and found it to be basically useless.
                >
                > -Dave

                I agree with Dave, without exception, the quality of the tool makes all the difference! I've used 3 different types of manual solder suckers and the cheap ones suck, well I mean they don't suck... I mean they don't do the job well enough! I will always recommend to buy the Solderpult DS-017. I also use a commercial desoldering station from PACE (Arbel), it works well but is a nuisance when you only have 1 or 2 chips to remove. I use it when I know I'll be pulling chips all day long.

                Very important TIP: Always add some solder before trying to suck it out. The more the better. This extra solder helps hold the heat better and stays molten longer allowing it to all be sucked out. If it doesn't all suck out, reapply new solder and heat the pin longer.

                Cheers,
                Josh
              • Neil Cherry
                Message 7 of 7 , Jun 23, 2012
                  On 06/23/2012 05:36 PM, Bill Dromgoole wrote:

                  > I've never had any luck with braid for desoldering.

                  For working with surface mount, a good wick can't be beat for
                  cleanup.

                  > I like the solder sucker.
                  > I use the plastic one I think is from OK industries.

                  I have one of these too, one thing I did though was to for a
                  dent in the tip so I could get the tip on the work and the
                  sucker would form a decent 'seal' to remove as much as possible.

                  I have reworked enough board to save the sucked solder that I
                  had a puddle about the size of 2 $50 coins. :-)

                  I haven't worked the lead free stuff yet. Though I do have a
                  nice Medcal SP200 for lead free and my old trusty Weller TC202
                  for leaded work.

                  http://www.linuxha.com/ Main site
                  http://linuxha.blogspot.com/ My HA Blog