RE: [midatlanticretro] Tandy stuff available

  • evan
    Message 1 of 14 , Feb 28, 2006
      Tim, the vast majority of 386/486 systems are off-topic here (too new and mostly uninteresting) ... it's okay to post as long as it doesn't get to be a trend ... but just keep this in mind.

      Evan

      Message 2 of 14 , Feb 28, 2006
        Tim...I seem to recall a discussion of the Sensation
        somewhere recently, IIRC on the Tandy1000 group. You
        could also try google groups.
        --- midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com
        <tfagan@...> wrote:
        > Hi all,
        >
        > I just realized that in my collection, I have a
        Tandy Sensation (I
        > bought new around 1990). It is the "first"
        multimedia pc to hit the
        > market (according to RS's advertising at the time).
        It is a 486SX-25
        > with 4MB ram, 120MB hd, 3.5" floppy, and 1x CD-rom,
        running Win 3.1.
        > All I have currently is the PC (no
        keyboard/mouse/monitor/etc...).

        > Do any of you know the rarity of this item? I've
        never even seen
        > mention of one in all the collecting I've done over
        the last year,
        > thought I've seen plenty of Tandy 1000s and its
        brethren. Also, since
        > it's been many years since I actually used a
        pre-pentium machine, will
        > a 486 successfully run software that was released
        for 386s and 286s?
        > I've been looking to obtain a 286 or 386 machine to
        run a bunch of old
        > games I've been getting, but if this 486 machine
        will run them, then
        > that will work for me! :-)
        >
        > If it WILL work, then I'll probably build some CDs
        of 'abandon-ware'
        > to install and play on it - installed at 1x CD
        speeds... woo-hoo... I
        > can't wait!!! ;-)
        >
        > --Timster--
        > ------------
        > Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2006 16:57:36 -0800 (PST)
        > From: chrism3667@...
        > To: midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com
        > Subject: Re: [midatlanticretro] Tandy stuff
        available
        > Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2006 16:57:36 -0800 (PST)
        > From: Chris M
        > Subject: Re: [midatlanticretro] Tandy stuff
        available
        > Sender: midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com
        > To: midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com
        s=lima; d=yahoogroups.com;

        b=THLtsLv1exm3/Y4wambjqVtpKSC9jr8JtnO2sgg8TofnKCgk3epTCXttFfOhdLJe9HMUlfOddZVcuAjDbBOmh2ueJsHZt6OkSazyrfLEOSW90BPqVzMSiPnQLC1unG+i;
        > Mailing-List: list midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com;
        contact
        > midatlanticretro-owner@yahoogroups.com
        > > A CoCo 3
        > Not sure which one, but I have a CoCo on the way
        > (tentatively). All I was told was it has 2 floppers,
        > and tons of software. That is if I make it down that
        > way before it gets files or whatever...
        > > Tandy VM-1 monitor or Multisync II or original
        > > Multisync
        > You might as well throw in the CM-1. There a
        === Message Truncated ===

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • Sridhar Ayengar
        Message 3 of 14 , Feb 28, 2006
          evan wrote:
          > Tim, the vast majority of 386/486 systems are off-topic here (too new
          > and mostly uninteresting) ... it's okay to post as long as it doesn't
          > get to be a trend ... but just keep this in mind.

          That's not the only thing. This isn't nearly the first multimedia PC
          out there. I had AV-in and AV-out with primitive non-linear editing and
          storyboarding on my 16-bit MCA PS/2 Model 50 running on a 80286-10 in 1988.

          Peace... Sridhar

          Message 4 of 14 , Mar 1, 2006
            could someone define multimedia for me?

            --- Sridhar Ayengar <ploopster@...> wrote:

            > I had AV-in and AV-out with primitive
            > non-linear editing and
            > storyboarding on my 16-bit MCA PS/2 Model 50 running
            > on a 80286-10 in 1988.
            >
            > Peace... Sridhar

            http://mail.yahoo.com
          • M. Frank
            Message 5 of 14 , Mar 1, 2006
              Kelly  I havn't posted here before because I'm not as computer literate as everyone else.  However, I would love a Model 12 or 16 as I have only ever seen them at your exhibit at TCF last year.  I have a working color computer 3 and a box of TRS-80 stuff which I'm sure you have but you could check. (maybe there is something there you could use)   A coco3 is not an equal trade for a 12 or 16 and I'm happy to make a contribution and also pay you some gas money for the trips to South Jersey which I'm sure added up to over 500 miles.  Also I live in Somerset County NJ and a trip up North is fine with me  Thanks Mike
              PS  I'm not looking for a Model II b/c I've used them

              Kelly Leavitt <kelly@...> wrote:
              These are in addition to any other trades already made (BillD and Mike)...

              Model II's (2 of them)
              Model II drive units (2 of them)
              Model 12's (3 of them)
              Model 16b's (at least 2)
              8" disks, new in shrink wrap
              DMP410 printer
              All the computers have matching keyboards.

              Have to come to North Jersey if you want any (limit one each to a customer).
              I'll post on ClassicCmp on comp.sys.tandy Thursday if no one else wants
              them. Trade me something Tandy, or something else interesting....

              I need a Tandy DT-100 terminal
              A functional Model I
              A PT-210 (I think, printing terminal, looks like a CoCo)
              A CoCo 3
              CoCo multipack interface
              Any of the hand held Tandy computer (not the 100 line, I have those)
              A functional Model 600
              Tandy VM-1 monitor or Multisync II or original Multisync
              A functional Model 2000
              A functional Model 1000a (may as well start on the PC lines)

              Kelly

              Yahoo! Mail

            • tfagan@triad.rr.com
              Message 6 of 14 , Mar 1, 2006
                Tandy's claim (I believe) was based on the Sensation being the first
                (?) mainstream PC to have the graphics/sound capabilities it had, as
                well as the fact it had a CD-Rom (Ooooooooooh!!! :->)

                As Mason T. e-mailed off-list (he knew me from NJ back in the 80s) - I
                should bite my tongue calling the Sensation the 'first' multimedia
                machine when I, myself, was a very happy Amiga owner through the late
                80s! I defended myself by pointing out it was Tandy's propogan...
                er... advertising for the machine that made that claim - not me
                personally! :-)

                I'd also like to apologize for my retro-group faux pas. I even read
                the FAQ Saturday when I signed up, and what is one of my first posts
                about??? A 486 machine!!! Doh!

                I just wanted to know if it was considered rare, but more importantly
                from you 'smarter-than-me-about-these-matters' forum participants - if
                a 486 will run 286 and 386 software reliably. That's actually what I
                wanted to know most. My bad... Take solace in the fact that 90+% of my
                vast collection came into existence between the late 70s and the mid
                80s! ;-)))

                --Timster--
              • evan
                Message 7 of 14 , Mar 1, 2006
                  Mike, thanks for your message.  We always like to see people emerge from the crevices of our mailing list..

                  - Evan

                    Message 9 of 14 , Mar 1, 2006
                      hey Evan...you wouldnt by some chance mean
                      WWWIIINNNDDDOOOWWWSSS, would you???
                      --- midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com <evan@...>
                      wrote:
                      > I suppose it's okay to talk about running vintage
                      software on
                      > not-quite-vintage computers. Basically what we
                      avoid at all costs is the
                      > "W" term.
                      >
                      > _____

                      :->)

                      > As Mason T. e-mailed off-list (he knew me from NJ
                      back in the 80s) - I
                      > should bite my tongue calling the Sensation the
                      'first' multimedia
                      > machine when I, myself, was a very happy Amiga owner
                      through the late
                      > 80s! I defended myself by pointing out it was
                      Tandy's propogan...
                      > er... advertising for the machine that made that
                      claim - not me
                      > personally! :-)
                      >
                      > I'd also like to apologize for my retro-group faux
                      pas. I even read
                      > the FAQ Saturday when I signed up, and what is one
                      of my first posts
                      > about??? A 486 machine!!! Doh!
                      >
                      > I just wanted to know if it was considered rare, but
                      more importantly
                      > from you 'smarter-than-me-about-these-matters' forum
                      participants - if
                      > a 486 will run 286 and 386 software reliably. That's
                      actually what I
                      > wanted to know most. My bad... Take solace in the
                      fact that 90+% of my
                      > vast collection came into existence between the late
                      70s and the mid
                      > 80s! ;-)))
                      >
                      > --Timster--

                      > Vintage

                      =Computer+security&w3=Computer+training&w4=Field+trip&c=4&s=84&.sig=yQK66sIa
                      > fWZWnP-61n_BTQ> computer Computer

                      2=Computer+security&w3=Computer+training&w4=Field+trip&c=4&s=84&.sig=bvgAN5E
                      > Yj4oAGQSA29LvCw> security Computer

                      2=Computer+security&w3=Computer+training&w4=Field+trip&c=4&s=84&.sig=E3VSZZU
                      > ZIYQJD2FP1DwFdw> training
                      > Field

                      ter+security&w3=Computer+training&w4=Field+trip&c=4&s=84&.sig=6Bps2Ok95uCsZL
                      > SwdHWZfg> trip
                      >
                      > _____
                      >
                      > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
                      >

                      > * Visit your group "midatlanticretro
                      > <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/midatlanticretro> "
                      on the web.

                      Yahoo! Terms of Service
                      > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .
                      >

                      > _____

                      http://mail.yahoo.com
                    • evan
                      Message 10 of 14 , Mar 1, 2006
                        I'll know it when I hear it.

                        Message 11 of 14 , Mar 3, 2006
                          Mike:

                          sounds like a fare enough deal to me. If you have a coco3 you don't need (especially any games, floppy drive or joysticks) I'd really be interested. Send me a private email if you're interested and we'll arrange something offline.

                          Kelly

                          PS All 16s have been accounted for. Still have a few model 12's and a few model II's.