Re: [midatlanticretro] Tandy stuff available

  • Chris M
    Message 1 of 14 , Feb 28, 2006
      > A CoCo 3

      Not sure which one, but I have a CoCo on the way
      (tentatively). All I was told was it has 2 floppers,
      and tons of software. That is if I make it down that
      way before it gets files or whatever...

      > Tandy VM-1 monitor or Multisync II or original
      > Multisync

      You might as well throw in the CM-1. There are
      others, but are harder to find...

      > A functional Model 1000a (may as well start on the
      > PC lines)

      The 1000 is not a TRS-80 FYI. I suppose you knew it.
      I have 1 to spare...

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • tfagan@triad.rr.com
      Message 2 of 14 , Feb 28, 2006
        Hi all,

        I just realized that in my collection, I have a Tandy Sensation (I
        bought new around 1990). It is the "first" multimedia pc to hit the
        market (according to RS's advertising at the time). It is a 486SX-25
        with 4MB ram, 120MB hd, 3.5" floppy, and 1x CD-rom, running Win 3.1.
        All I have currently is the PC (no keyboard/mouse/monitor/etc...).

        Do any of you know the rarity of this item? I've never even seen
        mention of one in all the collecting I've done over the last year,
        thought I've seen plenty of Tandy 1000s and its brethren. Also, since
        it's been many years since I actually used a pre-pentium machine, will
        a 486 successfully run software that was released for 386s and 286s?
        I've been looking to obtain a 286 or 386 machine to run a bunch of old
        games I've been getting, but if this 486 machine will run them, then
        that will work for me! :-)

        If it WILL work, then I'll probably build some CDs of 'abandon-ware'
        to install and play on it - installed at 1x CD speeds... woo-hoo... I
        can't wait!!! ;-)

        --Timster--
      • evan
        Message 3 of 14 , Feb 28, 2006
          Tim, the vast majority of 386/486 systems are off-topic here (too new and mostly uninteresting) ... it's okay to post as long as it doesn't get to be a trend ... but just keep this in mind.

          Evan

          Message 4 of 14 , Feb 28, 2006
            Tim...I seem to recall a discussion of the Sensation
            somewhere recently, IIRC on the Tandy1000 group. You
            could also try google groups.
            --- midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com
            <tfagan@...> wrote:
            > Hi all,
            >
            > I just realized that in my collection, I have a
            Tandy Sensation (I
            > bought new around 1990). It is the "first"
            multimedia pc to hit the
            > market (according to RS's advertising at the time).
            It is a 486SX-25
            > with 4MB ram, 120MB hd, 3.5" floppy, and 1x CD-rom,
            running Win 3.1.
            > All I have currently is the PC (no
            keyboard/mouse/monitor/etc...).

            > Do any of you know the rarity of this item? I've
            never even seen
            > mention of one in all the collecting I've done over
            the last year,
            > thought I've seen plenty of Tandy 1000s and its
            brethren. Also, since
            > it's been many years since I actually used a
            pre-pentium machine, will
            > a 486 successfully run software that was released
            for 386s and 286s?
            > I've been looking to obtain a 286 or 386 machine to
            run a bunch of old
            > games I've been getting, but if this 486 machine
            will run them, then
            > that will work for me! :-)
            >
            > If it WILL work, then I'll probably build some CDs
            of 'abandon-ware'
            > to install and play on it - installed at 1x CD
            speeds... woo-hoo... I
            > can't wait!!! ;-)
            >
            > --Timster--
            > ------------
            > Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2006 16:57:36 -0800 (PST)
            > From: chrism3667@...
            > To: midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com
            > Subject: Re: [midatlanticretro] Tandy stuff
            available
            > Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2006 16:57:36 -0800 (PST)
            > From: Chris M
            > Subject: Re: [midatlanticretro] Tandy stuff
            available
            > Sender: midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com
            > To: midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com
            s=lima; d=yahoogroups.com;

            b=THLtsLv1exm3/Y4wambjqVtpKSC9jr8JtnO2sgg8TofnKCgk3epTCXttFfOhdLJe9HMUlfOddZVcuAjDbBOmh2ueJsHZt6OkSazyrfLEOSW90BPqVzMSiPnQLC1unG+i;
            > Mailing-List: list midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com;
            contact
            > midatlanticretro-owner@yahoogroups.com
            > > A CoCo 3
            > Not sure which one, but I have a CoCo on the way
            > (tentatively). All I was told was it has 2 floppers,
            > and tons of software. That is if I make it down that
            > way before it gets files or whatever...
            > > Tandy VM-1 monitor or Multisync II or original
            > > Multisync
            > You might as well throw in the CM-1. There a
            === Message Truncated ===

            http://mail.yahoo.com
          • Sridhar Ayengar
            Message 5 of 14 , Feb 28, 2006
              evan wrote:
              > Tim, the vast majority of 386/486 systems are off-topic here (too new
              > and mostly uninteresting) ... it's okay to post as long as it doesn't
              > get to be a trend ... but just keep this in mind.

              That's not the only thing. This isn't nearly the first multimedia PC
              out there. I had AV-in and AV-out with primitive non-linear editing and
              storyboarding on my 16-bit MCA PS/2 Model 50 running on a 80286-10 in 1988.

              Peace... Sridhar

              Message 6 of 14 , Mar 1 4:24 PM
                could someone define multimedia for me?

                --- Sridhar Ayengar <ploopster@...> wrote:

                > I had AV-in and AV-out with primitive
                > non-linear editing and
                > storyboarding on my 16-bit MCA PS/2 Model 50 running
                > on a 80286-10 in 1988.
                >
                > Peace... Sridhar

                http://mail.yahoo.com
              • M. Frank
                Message 7 of 14 , Mar 1 4:36 PM
                  Kelly  I havn't posted here before because I'm not as computer literate as everyone else.  However, I would love a Model 12 or 16 as I have only ever seen them at your exhibit at TCF last year.  I have a working color computer 3 and a box of TRS-80 stuff which I'm sure you have but you could check. (maybe there is something there you could use)   A coco3 is not an equal trade for a 12 or 16 and I'm happy to make a contribution and also pay you some gas money for the trips to South Jersey which I'm sure added up to over 500 miles.  Also I live in Somerset County NJ and a trip up North is fine with me  Thanks Mike
                  PS  I'm not looking for a Model II b/c I've used them

                  Kelly Leavitt <kelly@...> wrote:
                  These are in addition to any other trades already made (BillD and Mike)...

                  Model II's (2 of them)
                  Model II drive units (2 of them)
                  Model 12's (3 of them)
                  Model 16b's (at least 2)
                  8" disks, new in shrink wrap
                  DMP410 printer
                  All the computers have matching keyboards.

                  Have to come to North Jersey if you want any (limit one each to a customer).
                  I'll post on ClassicCmp on comp.sys.tandy Thursday if no one else wants
                  them. Trade me something Tandy, or something else interesting....

                  I need a Tandy DT-100 terminal
                  A functional Model I
                  A PT-210 (I think, printing terminal, looks like a CoCo)
                  A CoCo 3
                  CoCo multipack interface
                  Any of the hand held Tandy computer (not the 100 line, I have those)
                  A functional Model 600
                  Tandy VM-1 monitor or Multisync II or original Multisync
                  A functional Model 2000
                  A functional Model 1000a (may as well start on the PC lines)

                  Kelly

                  Yahoo! Mail

                • tfagan@triad.rr.com
                  Message 8 of 14 , Mar 1 6:06 PM
                    Tandy's claim (I believe) was based on the Sensation being the first
                    (?) mainstream PC to have the graphics/sound capabilities it had, as
                    well as the fact it had a CD-Rom (Ooooooooooh!!! :->)

                    As Mason T. e-mailed off-list (he knew me from NJ back in the 80s) - I
                    should bite my tongue calling the Sensation the 'first' multimedia
                    machine when I, myself, was a very happy Amiga owner through the late
                    80s! I defended myself by pointing out it was Tandy's propogan...
                    er... advertising for the machine that made that claim - not me
                    personally! :-)

                    I'd also like to apologize for my retro-group faux pas. I even read
                    the FAQ Saturday when I signed up, and what is one of my first posts
                    about??? A 486 machine!!! Doh!

                    I just wanted to know if it was considered rare, but more importantly
                    from you 'smarter-than-me-about-these-matters' forum participants - if
                    a 486 will run 286 and 386 software reliably. That's actually what I
                    wanted to know most. My bad... Take solace in the fact that 90+% of my
                    vast collection came into existence between the late 70s and the mid
                    80s! ;-)))

                    --Timster--
                  • evan
                    Message 9 of 14 , Mar 1 7:32 PM
                      Mike, thanks for your message.  We always like to see people emerge from the crevices of our mailing list..

                      - Evan

                        Message 11 of 14 , Mar 1 9:56 PM
                          hey Evan...you wouldnt by some chance mean
                          WWWIIINNNDDDOOOWWWSSS, would you???
                          --- midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com <evan@...>
                          wrote:
                          > I suppose it's okay to talk about running vintage
                          software on
                          > not-quite-vintage computers. Basically what we
                          avoid at all costs is the
                          > "W" term.
                          >
                          > _____

                          :->)

                          > As Mason T. e-mailed off-list (he knew me from NJ
                          back in the 80s) - I
                          > should bite my tongue calling the Sensation the
                          'first' multimedia
                          > machine when I, myself, was a very happy Amiga owner
                          through the late
                          > 80s! I defended myself by pointing out it was
                          Tandy's propogan...
                          > er... advertising for the machine that made that
                          claim - not me
                          > personally! :-)
                          >
                          > I'd also like to apologize for my retro-group faux
                          pas. I even read
                          > the FAQ Saturday when I signed up, and what is one
                          of my first posts
                          > about??? A 486 machine!!! Doh!
                          >
                          > I just wanted to know if it was considered rare, but
                          more importantly
                          > from you 'smarter-than-me-about-these-matters' forum
                          participants - if
                          > a 486 will run 286 and 386 software reliably. That's
                          actually what I
                          > wanted to know most. My bad... Take solace in the
                          fact that 90+% of my
                          > vast collection came into existence between the late
                          70s and the mid
                          > 80s! ;-)))
                          >
                          > --Timster--

                          > Vintage

                          =Computer+security&w3=Computer+training&w4=Field+trip&c=4&s=84&.sig=yQK66sIa
                          > fWZWnP-61n_BTQ> computer Computer

                          2=Computer+security&w3=Computer+training&w4=Field+trip&c=4&s=84&.sig=bvgAN5E
                          > Yj4oAGQSA29LvCw> security Computer

                          2=Computer+security&w3=Computer+training&w4=Field+trip&c=4&s=84&.sig=E3VSZZU
                          > ZIYQJD2FP1DwFdw> training
                          > Field

                          ter+security&w3=Computer+training&w4=Field+trip&c=4&s=84&.sig=6Bps2Ok95uCsZL
                          > SwdHWZfg> trip
                          >
                          > _____
                          >
                          > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
                          >

                          > * Visit your group "midatlanticretro
                          > <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/midatlanticretro> "
                          on the web.

                          Yahoo! Terms of Service
                          > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .
                          >

                          > _____

                          http://mail.yahoo.com
                        • evan
                          Message 12 of 14 , Mar 1 10:31 PM
                            I'll know it when I hear it.

                            Message 13 of 14 , Mar 3 3:35 PM
                              Mike:

                              sounds like a fare enough deal to me. If you have a coco3 you don't need (especially any games, floppy drive or joysticks) I'd really be interested. Send me a private email if you're interested and we'll arrange something offline.

                              Kelly

                              PS All 16s have been accounted for. Still have a few model 12's and a few model II's.