Has anyone used a Latronix UDS-10 box to allow telnet to a vintage computer.

  • corey986
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 20, 2012
      I was thinking about getting a couple of these from eBay if they will do they job. The docs aren't clear or I'm just confused.

      But if I hook one of these up to the RS232 serial terminal port of a system, can I set it up to host a telnet connection so that I can use my iPad with a telnet app to access the machine? It would allow me to have a consolidated "display" at home with my old 1st gen iPad and a keyboard as a terminal my growing collection.

      If not anyone else have any other not super expensive solutions to use the iPad as a terminal for a couple of machines.b

      Thanks,
      Corey
    • corey986
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 20, 2012
        Let me fix my typing....

        Lantronix UDS-10 box to allow a telnet to a vintage computer....

        > I was thinking about getting a couple of these from eBay if they will do they job. The docs aren't clear or I'm just confused.
        >
        > But if I hook one of these up to the RS232 serial terminal port of a system, can I set it up to host a telnet connection so that I can use my iPad with a telnet app to access the machine? It would allow me to have a consolidated "display" at home with my old 1st gen iPad and a keyboard as a terminal my growing collection.
        >
        > If not anyone else have any other not super expensive solutions to use the iPad as a terminal for a couple of machines.b
        >
        > Thanks,
        > Corey

      • Neil Cherry
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 20, 2012
          On 06/20/2012 06:49 PM, corey986 wrote:

          > I was thinking about getting a couple of these from eBay if they will do they job. The
          > docs aren't clear or I'm just confused.
          >
          > But if I hook one of these up to the RS232 serial terminal port of a system, can I set it
          > up to host a telnet connection so that I can use my iPad with a telnet app to access the
          > machine? It would allow me to have a consolidated "display" at home with my old 1st gen
          > iPad and a keyboard as a terminal my growing collection.
          >
          > If not anyone else have any other not super expensive solutions to use the iPad as a
          > terminal for a couple of machines.b

          I've not used the Lantronix device but I have used the Xyplex (does
          MOP, LAT, Telnet and maybe X.25 - keeping with the vintage side of
          thing). Works great with all things RS232 and possibly RS485.

          I haven't done any bi-sync or SNA with it.

          http://www.linuxha.com/ Main site
          http://linuxha.blogspot.com/ My HA Blog
        • telmnstr@757.org
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 20, 2012
            > But if I hook one of these up to the RS232 serial terminal port of a system, can I set it up to host a telnet connection so that I can use my iPad with a telnet app to access the machine? It would allow me to have a consolidated "display" at home with my old 1st gen iPad and a keyboard as a terminal my growing collection.

            That is how they work, and they do a good job of it. There are Digi
            Portserver TS2 and TS4 units that have 2 and 4 ports, and there are
            Lantronix models with 2 ports as I recall.

            Serial terminal servers is what they are called. I've always used the MSS
            versisons.