Re: [midatlanticretro] Re: Correction - $375K

    Message 1 of 44 , Jun 15, 2012
      > I was thinking it was some odd variant and somehow unique - my mistake. I know of other surviving Univac machines, sure, but I remember when this one was acquired there was an issue with locating software, since it was different enough to not be compatible. What model is it anyway? It's been a while since I thought about it :)

      It's a 1219-B, if I remember correctly. That's the military version of
      the commercial 418.

      > Are there pictures of the whole system next to the tape deck in the museum?

      Not good ones. Most of the components are stuffed into a dark corner.

      > While it's obvious that there isn't nearly enough room to put the whole computer on display, it would be nice to have a good photo of the whole machine, to make it clear that this tape drive is only a small piece of a very, very big (and very, very cool) computer system.

      We always tell visitors about that.
    • DuaneCraps
      Message 44 of 44 , Dec 18, 2012
        All,

        A little history of your 1219B  computers, from: When Computers Went to Sea

        I was involved in that first installation at Norfolk Naval Shipyard.

        Yes the, 1219B (Mk 152) was my first computer love.

        Duane

        Sent: Tuesday, November 27, 2012 3:44 PM
        Subject: Re: [midatlanticretro] Re: MARCH's UNIVAC

        > I see it as a fairly substantial project, not a small task.

        Oh, please. Half hour AT MOST.

        --
        Will