Those Tandy 2000 disks

  • Kelly Leavitt
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 27, 2006
      or the "Thread that wouldn't die"...

      Using ImageDisk, I wrote back to 3.5" disks.
      I am able to read these disk's directories in DOS. One caveate is that you
      must cover the HD select hole if using HD disks. You should also do a full
      format in dos first.

      What this gets you is a sometimes readable disk. The PC can usually read the
      FAT, but it can't actually execute anything on the disk. No matter what you
      try, you get sector not found errors (even if you try to "type" a text
      file).

      As I'm typing this, I'm trying the same process with a DS/DD diskette and
      drive (that I know works). Same results.

      Therefore, these disks are NOT IDENTICAL to 3.5" DS/DD. They are definitely
      an odd-ball format.

      It appears that the disk layout is similar, but not identical to classic
      MS-DOS. I still need a working model 2000 to see if these images will work
      anywhere.

      Kelly
    • Chris M
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 27, 2006
        o man I'm a wee bit busy right now. Do a search on
        google for "Jeff Hellige". You'll find his site.
        Somewhere on there there's a utility that "zaps" a
        Tandy 2000 disk, thereby, as is stated, making it
        fully file system compatible with vanilla dos. I can't
        remember, I can't remember, but I almost remember (?)
        running/trying to run stuph off the 3.5" disk that I
        dumped a dos image onto. Oftentimes, if nothing else,
        the BASIC interpreter is somewhat compatible with a
        vanilla pc. Graphics may even work - largely those
        commands rely on bios calls anyway, and an INT is an
        INT is an INT (means different things on different
        puters though).

        http://mail.yahoo.com