Help needed with an AT&T 3b2/310

  • Matt Patoray
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 12, 2012
      Hi all,

      Well it looks like my 3b2 is having some issues, every time I boot it I get missing file and "rebuilding UNIX" messages, looks it is time to reload the operating system, the problem is that I do not have any software discs of ANY kind.

      Can anyone help me with copies. I can provided discs but have no idea what type I would need?

      I would also like to install some extra programs as I know AT&T made an entire suite of programs for this computer.

      Any help would be appreciated,

      Matt

      Sent from my iPhone
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 12, 2012
        On 06/12/2012 10:43 PM, Matt Patoray wrote:
        > Well it looks like my 3b2 is having some issues, every time I boot it
        > I get missing file and "rebuilding UNIX" messages, looks it is time
        > to reload the operating system,

        Buh...what? This is not Microsoft Windows. I'm betting you're seeing
        the beginnings of a disk failure. What are the specific messages you're
        seeing? Anything that looks like a device error report?

        > the problem is that I do not have any software discs of ANY kind.

        These are "around". I don't have any myself, yet; my 3B2 experience
        was back when they were current products, and then only as a user. I
        do, however, have a pair of /310s that I would love to get running
        eventually.

        I believe Ian has a good bit of experience with these machines.

        Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
        New Kensington, PA
      • Mr Ian Primus
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 13, 2012
          --- On Tue, 6/12/12, Matt Patoray <mspatoray@...> wrote:

          > Well it looks like my 3b2 is having some issues, every time
          > I boot it I get missing file and "rebuilding UNIX" messages,
          > looks it is time to reload the operating system, the problem
          > is that I do not have any software discs of ANY kind.

          Have you been shutting it down properly? You can't just switch the power off, you have to run the shutdown script, which properly unmounts the file systems. It's doubtful this is a hard disk failure - trust me, if that starts to go, you'll know it!

          > Can anyone help me with copies. I can provided discs but
          > have no idea what type I would need?

          The drive that the 3B2 uses is 720KB. 80 track, double sided, double density. So, you need good quality DS/DD 5 1/4" floppies. High Density disks will NOT work. I have all the software for this machine, I can definitely assist you.

          > I would also like to install some extra programs as I know
          > AT&T made an entire suite of programs for this
          > computer.

          I've all the system software for the /310, and some other stuff too. I would be happy to provide you with copies. I've got a line on some other software too, so when I get that I'll archive it and make it available.

          Have you replaced the battery yet in this thing? For one, if it leaks, it'll corrode the heck out of the logic board. For two, you'll have to run FILLEDT every time you boot if the battery runs flat.

          -Ian
        • Mr Ian Primus
          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 13, 2012
            --- On Wed, 6/13/12, Dave McGuire <Mcguire@...> wrote:

            >   Buh...what?  This is not Microsoft
            > Windows.  I'm betting you're seeing
            > the beginnings of a disk failure.  What are the
            > specific messages you're
            > seeing?  Anything that looks like a device error
            > report?

            Nah, a disk failure will give you some nasty error messages on the console as it starts trying to remap sectors. The drives in these are actually pretty darn reliable.

            >   These are "around".  I don't have any myself,
            > yet; my 3B2 experience
            > was back when they were current products, and then only as a
            > user.  I
            > do, however, have a pair of /310s that I would love to get
            > running
            > eventually.

            I have the disks. Dave, Matt, contact me off list and I'll hook you up. Either in the form of images, or you can mail me some blanks and I'll write you out a set. Normally I'd just send the disks, but I'm running low on blank floppies, and the system disks for the 3B2 is a stack of floppies an inch and a half tall!

            >   I believe Ian has a good bit of experience with these
            > machines.

            He does!

            ;)

            -Ian
            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 13, 2012
              On 06/13/2012 08:52 AM, Mr Ian Primus wrote:
              >> Buh...what? This is not Microsoft Windows. I'm betting you're
              >> seeing the beginnings of a disk failure. What are the specific
              >> messages you're seeing? Anything that looks like a device error
              >> report?
              >
              > Nah, a disk failure will give you some nasty error messages on the
              > console as it starts trying to remap sectors. The drives in these are
              > actually pretty darn reliable.

              Hence my asking if there were device errors. ;) What makes/models of
              drives did the smaller 3B2s ship with?

              > I have the disks. Dave, Matt, contact me off list and I'll hook you
              > up. Either in the form of images, or you can mail me some blanks and
              > I'll write you out a set. Normally I'd just send the disks, but I'm
              > running low on blank floppies, and the system disks for the 3B2 is a
              > stack of floppies an inch and a half tall!

              Woohoo!! Thanks!

              Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
              New Kensington, PA
            • Mr Ian Primus
              Message 6 of 7 , Jun 13, 2012
                --- On Wed, 6/13/12, Dave McGuire <Mcguire@...> wrote:

                >   Hence my asking if there were device errors. ;)
                > What makes/models of
                > drives did the smaller 3B2s ship with?

                Hehe. Yeah. I'm thinking he's got filesystem corruption, rather than actual disk failure. Unfortunately, the old filesystem these use isn't nearly as robust as modern Unix FSes, and gets mangled rather easily - then you wind up with files evaporating, orphaned inodes, sudden errors about running out of inodes (even when you're not), etc.

                The drives that most of these shipped with are CDC Wrens. In theory, you can use just about any MFM drive, provided you have the utility disk (I do), but you'd drive yourself nuts on most PC drives - the ST225 and their ilk are so slow and noisy compared to the voice coil positioned Wren.

                >   Woohoo!!  Thanks!

                You're welcome - always happy to help.

                -Ian
              • J. Alexander Jacocks
                Message 7 of 7 , Jun 13, 2012
                  On Wed, Jun 13, 2012 at 9:21 AM, Mr Ian Primus <ian_primus@...> wrote:

                  --- On Wed, 6/13/12, Dave McGuire <Mcguire@...> wrote:

                  >   Hence my asking if there were device errors. ;)
                  > What makes/models of
                  > drives did the smaller 3B2s ship with?

                  Hehe. Yeah. I'm thinking he's got filesystem corruption, rather than actual disk failure. Unfortunately, the old filesystem these use isn't nearly as robust as modern Unix FSes, and gets mangled rather easily - then you wind up with files evaporating, orphaned inodes, sudden errors about running out of inodes (even when you're not), etc.

                  The drives that most of these shipped with are CDC Wrens. In theory, you can use just about any MFM drive, provided you have the utility disk (I do), but you'd drive yourself nuts on most PC drives - the ST225 and their ilk are so slow and noisy compared to the voice coil positioned Wren.

                  >   Woohoo!!  Thanks!

                  You're welcome - always happy to help.

                  -Ian

                  Being a vintage *nix nut, I've always wanted a 3B2.  Haven't run across one, yet, though.  Definitely something I'm looking for, if anyone decides to part with one, in the US.

                  - Alex