Sinclair Homebrew Computer on Ebay

    Message 1 of 15 , Jun 11, 2012
      Got a tip about this one from Greenkeys mailing list

      http://www.ebay.com/itm/140771525117

      It's a Sinclair zx81 modded with a full keyboard, etc.

      Bill
    • Mr Ian Primus
      Message 2 of 15 , Jun 11, 2012
        --- On Mon, 6/11/12, B Degnan <billdeg@...> wrote:

        > http://www.ebay.com/itm/140771525117
        >
        > It's a Sinclair zx81 modded with a full keyboard, etc.

        Hehe. About what was required to make that computer usable, I'm afraid. I've seen several machines like this - a random surplus full size keyboard rewired into the matrix to match the Sinclair, and stuffed into another case. It looks like whoever did this almost knew what they were doing. Ugly, but effective.

        The seller is rather optimistic with that starting price though... Heh.

        -Ian
      • Neil Cherry
        Message 3 of 15 , Jun 11, 2012
          On 06/11/2012 04:20 PM, Mr Ian Primus wrote:

          > --- On Mon, 6/11/12, B Degnan <billdeg@... <mailto:billdeg%40degnanco.com>> wrote:
          >
          >> http://www.ebay.com/itm/140771525117
          >>
          >> It's a Sinclair zx81 modded with a full keyboard, etc.
          >
          > Hehe. About what was required to make that computer usable, I'm afraid. I've seen several
          > machines like this - a random surplus full size keyboard rewired into the matrix to match
          > the Sinclair, and stuffed into another case. It looks like whoever did this almost knew
          > what they were doing. Ugly, but effective.

          Wonder how many of us note the keyboard and the proper placement of some of
          the keys (shift and control). ;-)

          > The seller is rather optimistic with that starting price though... Heh.

          $120, yup optimistic!
          http://www.linuxha.com/ Main site
          http://linuxha.blogspot.com/ My HA Blog
          Message 4 of 15 , Jun 11, 2012
            I have a Suntronics keyboard overlay for the Sinclair zx81 which is nice.
            http://vintagecomputer.net/sinclair/suntronics_sinclair1000_kit.jpg
            bd

            At 04:20 PM 6/11/2012, you wrote:
            >--- On Mon, 6/11/12, B Degnan <billdeg@...> wrote:
            >
            > > http://www.ebay.com/itm/140771525117
            > >
            > > It's a Sinclair zx81 modded with a full keyboard, etc.
            >
            >Hehe. About what was required to make that computer usable, I'm
            >afraid. I've seen several machines like this - a random surplus full
            >size keyboard rewired into the matrix to match the Sinclair, and
            >stuffed into another case. It looks like whoever did this almost
            >knew what they were doing. Ugly, but effective.
            >
            >The seller is rather optimistic with that starting price though... Heh.
            >
            >-Ian

          • joshbensadon
            Message 5 of 15 , Jun 11, 2012

              > I have a Suntronics keyboard overlay for the Sinclair zx81 which is nice.
              > http://vintagecomputer.net/sinclair/suntronics_sinclair1000_kit.jpg

              What a great looking keyboard! I think I remember seeing this keyboard but years ago. Do you have pictures of how it connects with the ZX81? I would love to see more pics.

              I've got a ZX81 in my collection but I've never actually used it. It feels the same as the Sinclair 1000, which I used a bit. After using those bare minimum keyboards, it's no surprise that a full "real" keyboard was made for these machines.

              Cheers,
              Josh
            • joshbensadon
              Message 6 of 15 , Jun 11, 2012
                > On 06/11/2012 04:20 PM, Mr Ian Primus wrote:
                > >

                > > --- On Mon, 6/11/12, B Degnan <billdeg@... <mailto:billdeg%40degnanco.com>> wrote:
                > >
                > >> http://www.ebay.com/itm/140771525117
                > >>
                > >> It's a Sinclair zx81 modded with a full keyboard, etc.

                I like the cassette interface labeling "Mike" and "Ear".

                J.
                Message 7 of 15 , Jun 11, 2012
                  The Timex 1000 -IS- a Sinclair zx81. I had a full-blown zx81/1000 exhibit at vcf MW a few years ago.
                  --
                  Sent from my PDP 8/e.
                • joshbensadon
                  Message 8 of 15 , Jun 11, 2012

                    > The Timex 1000 -IS- a Sinclair zx81. I had a full-blown zx81/1000 exhibit at vcf MW a few years ago.

                    Very true, I never compared them before. They look identical from the outside, only one is made in England and the other in France. As the story goes, Timex bought the Sinclair product line. Then they just relabeled. Do they have the same ROM? or did they change the version string?
                  • Christopher Blackmon
                    Message 9 of 15 , Jun 11, 2012
                      I thought the ZX81 had only 1k of ram, but the TS 1000 had 2k.

                      Christopher.

                      Message 10 of 15 , Jun 11, 2012
                        --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Christopher Blackmon <ckblackm@...> wrote:

                        > I thought the ZX81 had only 1k of ram, but the TS 1000 had 2k.
                        >
                        > Christopher.

                        Dunno. I tried plugging them in, my TS 1000 doesn't work (it goes to the back of the queue). The ZX81 works, but I don't know how to make it display how much RAM it has. It comes up with a "K" prompt. "PRINT FREE" doesn't work, the manual talks about a TOP of RAM variable.
                        I tried poking and peeking the ram but I'm not getting back what I poked at address 500 or 1000 or 1024. Perhaps my RAM is bad? I don't know enough about this machine to understand it... except that it's a Z80, and the Z80 starts at 0000, so perhaps the low address is all ROM?

                        Well, enough fun for one night, all this counting RAM's is putting me to sleep! Dunno why everyone else counts SHEEP?
                      • Al Hartman
                        Message 11 of 15 , Jun 12, 2012
                          AFAIK Timex manufactured TS-1000, TS-1500, and the TS-2068 Computers in
                          Portugal, not France. I worked for Zebra Systems, and we imported the disk
                          systems from them.

                          The 1000 is slightly different from the ZX-81. It has 2k of RAM and a VHF
                          NTSC (Channel 2/3) modulator. The ZX-81 had a UHF modulator and came in PAL
                          or NTSC versions.

                          Al
                          Message 12 of 15 , Jun 12, 2012
                            At 02:43 PM 6/12/2012, you wrote:
                            >AFAIK Timex manufactured TS-1000, TS-1500, and the TS-2068 Computers in
                            >Portugal, not France. I worked for Zebra Systems, and we imported the disk
                            >systems from them.
                            >
                            >The 1000 is slightly different from the ZX-81. It has 2k of RAM and a VHF
                            >NTSC (Channel 2/3) modulator. The ZX-81 had a UHF modulator and came in PAL
                            >or NTSC versions.
                            >
                            >Al

                            Here's a link to a pic from my exhibit. You can see both the 1000
                            and zx81 next to each other, both are 2K with the RAM expansion. Both work.

                            http://vintagecomputer.net/vcfmw-ECCC_2010/SinclairSIG/Sinclair_SIG_exhibit_6.jpg

                            Bill
                          • joshbensadon
                            Message 13 of 15 , Jun 12, 2012
                              Nice collection! You even have the original boxes! That is the ZX-81 box in the back left (behind what looks like the Suntronix keybaord) right?

                              Message 14 of 15 , Jun 12, 2012
                                Yes. There is a zx81 unbuilt kit, the suntronics keyboard and various thpird party add on boards. I have lots of cassette tapes. Most if not all of the tapes on exhibit work. Bill

                                Nice collection! You even have the original boxes! That is the ZX-81 box in the back left (behind what looks like the Suntronix keybaord) right?

                                > At 02:43 PM 6/12/2012, you wrote:
                                > >AFAIK Timex manufactured TS-1000, TS-1500, and the TS-2068 Computers in
                                > >Portugal, not France. I worked for Zebra Systems, and we imported the disk
                                > >systems from them.
                                > >
                                > >The 1000 is slightly different from the ZX-81. It has 2k of RAM and a VHF
                                > >NTSC (Channel 2/3) modulator. The ZX-81 had a UHF modulator and came in PAL
                                > >or NTSC versions.
                                > >
                                > >Al
                                >
                                > Here's a link to a pic from my exhibit. You can see both the 1000
                                > and zx81 next to each other, both are 2K with the RAM expansion. Both work.
                                >
                                > http://vintagecomputer.net/vcfmw-ECCC_2010/SinclairSIG/Sinclair_SIG_exhibit_6.jpg
                                >
                                > Bill

                                <*> Your email settings:
                                Individual Email | Traditional

                                <*> To change settings online go to:
                                (Yahoo! ID required)

                                <*> To change settings via email:
                                midatlanticretro-digest@yahoogroups.com

                                http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
                              • joshbensadon
                                Message 15 of 15 , Jun 12, 2012

                                  > Yes. There is a zx81 unbuilt kit, the suntronics keyboard and various
                                  > thpird party add on boards. I have lots of cassette tapes. Most if not
                                  > all of the tapes on exhibit work.
                                  > Bill

                                  Don't leave me alone with your kit, or else I might build it for you and surprise you when you get back! SURPRISE!

                                  ;)