RE: [midatlanticretro] prized possessions

  • Evan
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 11, 2005
      Toshiba LC-836MN.

      Say what...?

      As many of you know, I collect vintage PDAs.  LOL, it's a very obscure niche, straddling the crevice between computer collecting and calculator collecting.  Specifically I am interested in the 20 years of history from BEFORE that love/hate company -- Apple -- supposedly "invented" ( HA !!!! ) the PDA.

      It's very hard to say what was the true "first" PDA -- that depends on your definition.  But I can with 99% certainty that the Toshiba LC-836MN, also known as the Memo Note 30, was the first Palm-sized digital device with a built-in memo/organizer feature.  Some excellent details are posted at http://www.datamath.org/Related/Toshiba/LC-836MN.htm ... good luck finding much more than that ...

      I own one of these in excellent condition.  Mine is in the original box, with the original manual and warranty card.  I also own the OEM version, sold as the Radio Shack EC-4002, although it's in lesser condition.

      These and other mind-blowing vintage handhelds will be on display next weekend at the Trenton Compu... oh, sorry, that's just my usual pitch lately!

       - Evan