Re: [midatlanticretro] OT: Sony firewire cable

  • system@great-escape.tmesis.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 4, 2012
      "B. Degnan" <billdeg@...> writes:

      >FYI - the cable on the camera end is a 1/8 in three-bar connector.
      >Anyway, the cable I have same with my camera. If you don't have this
      >cable, probably best to just go the route you went before. Long term I
      >would try to get this cable though, you'll want to do the direct
      >connection and not the double hop, you'll potentially lose quality. bd

      >From: "Mike" <mike@...> Sent: Monday, June 04, 2012 1:47 PM To:
      >midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com Subject: [midatlanticretro] Re: Daniel
      >Kotke / Apple // videos?
      >
      >Hi,
      >
      >My out of date Sony HI-8 video camera has a firewire interface built in
      >- you can stream directly into an out of date Mac that still has
      >firewire using iMovie.

      Both my new 17" MacBook Pro and my new 27" iMac have Firewire interfaces.
      Are these out of date already? :)
    • Jeffrey Brace
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 5, 2012
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 5, 2012

          >Long term I would try to get this cable though, you'll want to do the
          >direct connection and not the double hop, you'll potentially lose quality.
          >bd

          Bill,

          Thanks for creating a new Off-Topic thread ! I meant to do that as it was
          straying off topic.

          I figured that a direct connection would be better as it will lose less
          quality.

          I have also found out that the DV in/out is called i.Link (by Sony) which is
          actually firewire. (Thanks Ben Greenfield and Bill Dromgoole !)

          >This cable looks suitable and is only $2.04
          >http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?>c_id=103&cp_id=10301&cs_id=1030101&p_id=1475&seq=1&format=2

          Thanks for the tip bill, but on my PC (I have a Alienware Aurora) end it is
          a larger IEEE 1394 connector about the size of a USB. I will search around
          for an appropriate cable. I'm not sure what it is called, so hopefully they
          have pictures that can help. I have no experience with Firewire, so that is
          why I don't know much about it.

          Jeff,

          This cable is probably what you want:

          http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=103&cp_id=10301&cs_id=1030102&p_id=2665&seq=1&format=2

          The larger (6-pin) connector has power, and the smaller (4-pin) connector does not, but otherwise they're both standard 400mbps 1394A.

          - J. Alexander Jacocks
          (your neighbor at VCF)
        • Bill Dromgoole
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 5, 2012
            According to page 62 of the desktop manual for the Alienware Aurora there
            should be two 6 pin IEEE-1394 connectors, one on the back panel and one on the
            top panel.
            You may also have to enable firewire in your Bios. See pge 31 of the manual.

            http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/Alw_dt_Aurora/en/dm/manual_en.pdf

            So you need a six pin to 4 pin cable.
            Pick one of the 6 pin to 4 pin cables of the length you like from this page.
            http://www.monoprice.com/products/subdepartment.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10301

            >> Thanks for the tip bill, but on my PC (I have a Alienware Aurora) end it is
            > a larger IEEE 1394 connector about the size of a USB. I will search around
            > for an appropriate cable. I'm not sure what it is called, so hopefully they
            > have pictures that can help. I have no experience with Firewire, so that is
            > why I don't know much about it.
            >
            > Jeff Brace
          • Mike
            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 5, 2012
              I was wrong - Apple does include firewire in some current products that are likely to be used in video applications. I think it has disappeared from most,consumer grade video cameras - even the ones from Sony.

              Regards,
              Mike W.