OT: Sony firewire cable

    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 4, 2012
      FYI - the cable on the camera end is a 1/8 in three-bar connector.  Anyway, the cable I have same with my camera.  If you don't have this cable, probably best to just go the route you went before.  Long term I would try to get this cable though, you'll want to do the direct connection and not the double hop, you'll potentially lose quality.
      bd

      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 4, 2012
        "B. Degnan" <billdeg@...> writes:

        >FYI - the cable on the camera end is a 1/8 in three-bar connector.
        >Anyway, the cable I have same with my camera. If you don't have this
        >cable, probably best to just go the route you went before. Long term I
        >would try to get this cable though, you'll want to do the direct
        >connection and not the double hop, you'll potentially lose quality. bd

        >From: "Mike" <mike@...> Sent: Monday, June 04, 2012 1:47 PM To:
        >midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com Subject: [midatlanticretro] Re: Daniel
        >Kotke / Apple // videos?
        >
        >Hi,
        >
        >My out of date Sony HI-8 video camera has a firewire interface built in
        >- you can stream directly into an out of date Mac that still has
        >firewire using iMovie.

        Both my new 17" MacBook Pro and my new 27" iMac have Firewire interfaces.
        Are these out of date already? :)
      • Jeffrey Brace
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 5, 2012
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 5, 2012

            >Long term I would try to get this cable though, you'll want to do the
            >direct connection and not the double hop, you'll potentially lose quality.
            >bd

            Bill,

            Thanks for creating a new Off-Topic thread ! I meant to do that as it was
            straying off topic.

            I figured that a direct connection would be better as it will lose less
            quality.

            I have also found out that the DV in/out is called i.Link (by Sony) which is
            actually firewire. (Thanks Ben Greenfield and Bill Dromgoole !)

            >This cable looks suitable and is only $2.04
            >http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?>c_id=103&cp_id=10301&cs_id=1030101&p_id=1475&seq=1&format=2

            Thanks for the tip bill, but on my PC (I have a Alienware Aurora) end it is
            a larger IEEE 1394 connector about the size of a USB. I will search around
            for an appropriate cable. I'm not sure what it is called, so hopefully they
            have pictures that can help. I have no experience with Firewire, so that is
            why I don't know much about it.

            Jeff,

            This cable is probably what you want:

            http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=103&cp_id=10301&cs_id=1030102&p_id=2665&seq=1&format=2

            The larger (6-pin) connector has power, and the smaller (4-pin) connector does not, but otherwise they're both standard 400mbps 1394A.

            - J. Alexander Jacocks
            (your neighbor at VCF)
          • Bill Dromgoole
            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 5, 2012
              According to page 62 of the desktop manual for the Alienware Aurora there
              should be two 6 pin IEEE-1394 connectors, one on the back panel and one on the
              top panel.
              You may also have to enable firewire in your Bios. See pge 31 of the manual.

              http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/Alw_dt_Aurora/en/dm/manual_en.pdf

              So you need a six pin to 4 pin cable.
              Pick one of the 6 pin to 4 pin cables of the length you like from this page.
              http://www.monoprice.com/products/subdepartment.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10301

              >> Thanks for the tip bill, but on my PC (I have a Alienware Aurora) end it is
              > a larger IEEE 1394 connector about the size of a USB. I will search around
              > for an appropriate cable. I'm not sure what it is called, so hopefully they
              > have pictures that can help. I have no experience with Firewire, so that is
              > why I don't know much about it.
              >
              > Jeff Brace
            • Mike
              Message 6 of 6 , Jun 5, 2012
                I was wrong - Apple does include firewire in some current products that are likely to be used in video applications. I think it has disappeared from most,consumer grade video cameras - even the ones from Sony.

                Regards,
                Mike W.