Re: [midatlanticretro] Daniel Kotke / Apple // videos?

    Message 1 of 26 , Jun 4, 2012
      Use windows movie maker. Plug hi 8 device into your firewire port if you have one. Read your video player manual for details...assuming its a Sony
      --
      Sent from my PDP 8/e.
    • Jeffrey Brace
      Message 2 of 26 , Jun 4, 2012
        >Use windows movie maker. Plug hi 8 device into your firewire port if you
        >have one. Read your video >player manual for details...assuming its a Sony

        No firewire. It *is* Sony and model is: DCRTRV240. I know that years ago on
        my old computer I connected with USB, but have been unable to find software
        that will work with Windows 7. It's hard to find, since most software is
        oriented towards digital format, not tape. It also has an audio/video jack
        which I use to connect to DVD. And there is S-Video and DV In/Out, which I
        have no idea about.
      • Ben Greenfield
        Message 3 of 26 , Jun 4, 2012

          >Use windows movie maker. Plug hi 8 device into your firewire port if you
          >have one. Read your video >player manual for details...assuming its a Sony

          No firewire. It *is* Sony and model is: DCRTRV240. I know that years ago on
          my old computer I connected with USB, but have been unable to find software
          that will work with Windows 7. It's hard to find, since most software is
          oriented towards digital format, not tape. It also has an audio/video jack
          which I use to connect to DVD. And there is S-Video and

          DV In/Out,

          is firewire

          which I
          have no idea about.

        • Mike
          Message 4 of 26 , Jun 4, 2012
            Hi,

            My out of date Sony HI-8 video camera has a firewire interface built in - you can stream directly into an out of date Mac that still has firewire using iMovie.

            Regards,
            Mike Willegal

            > On 5/7/2012 1:49 PM, Jeremy wrote:
            > > Are the Daniel Kotke and/or the Care of your Apple // videos available
            > > anywhere at this point? Thanks in advance.
            >
            > >I could only tape BIl Herd's workshop - and both Keynote lectures. There
            >
            > I recorded the Apple // workshop. I am copying from Hi-8 to DVD, then
            > ripping from DVD to .avi. I'm not sure if this will degrade the quality, but
            > it is the only way I know how to get it from Hi-8 tape to PC. Does anyone
            > have any method of directly copying from Hi-8 to PC ? Which program can I
            > use ?
            >
            > Also Dan R., what's the latest on your videos ?
            >
            > ----Jeff Brace

          • Bill Dromgoole
            Message 5 of 26 , Jun 4, 2012
              According to the Sony user manual at
              http://www.docs.sony.com/release/DCRTRV240.pdf
              the DV connector is a 4 pin IEEE 1394 or Apple iLink connector.

              This cable looks suitable and is only $2.04
              http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=103&cp_id=10301&cs_id=1030101&p_id=1475&seq=1&format=2

              >>Use windows movie maker. Plug hi 8 device into your firewire port if you
              >>have one. Read your video >player manual for details...assuming its a Sony
              >
              > No firewire. It *is* Sony and model is: DCRTRV240. I know that years ago on
              > my old computer I connected with USB, but have been unable to find software
              > that will work with Windows 7. It's hard to find, since most software is
              > oriented towards digital format, not tape. It also has an audio/video jack
              > which I use to connect to DVD. And there is S-Video and DV In/Out, which I
              > have no idea about.
            • Matt Patoray