Breezeshooters hamfest

    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 2, 2012
      Will anyone else here be at the Breezeshooters hamfest tomorrow? If
      you don't know about it, it's in Butler, PA, a tad north of Pittsburgh.

      I'll be there, listening on 146.52 simplex. (assuming I can find the
      charger for my HT, that is! ;))

      Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
      New Kensington, PA
    • s100doctor
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 9, 2012

        > Will anyone else here be at the Breezeshooters hamfest [June 2]? If
        > you don't know about it, it's in Butler, PA, a tad north of Pittsburgh.
        >
        > I'll be there, listening on 146.52 simplex. (assuming I can find the
        > charger for my HT, that is! ;))
        >
        > -Dave

        ..so, since you mentioned it, how was it? - Herb
      • Matt Patoray
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 9, 2012
          Herb,

          I enjoyed it, my first time there in like 15 years, I got some nice audio goodies, and a bunch of new 5.25" discs missed a kenwood TS-140 by like 20 min and got chased out by the rain.

          I will be going back next year,

          Matt

          Sent from my iPhone

          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 10, 2012
            On 06/09/2012 11:12 AM, s100doctor wrote:
            >> Will anyone else here be at the Breezeshooters hamfest [June 2]? If
            >> you don't know about it, it's in Butler, PA, a tad north of Pittsburgh.
            >>
            >> I'll be there, listening on 146.52 simplex. (assuming I can find the
            >> charger for my HT, that is! ;))
            >
            > ..so, since you mentioned it, how was it? - Herb

            It was excellent! Having been stuck in starvin' & sweatin' Florida
            for a decade, where a "big" hamfest had maybe ten tables, this one was
            quite a treat. In the first five minutes I scored a nice IR thermometer
            (been on my list for awhile), and a matching speaker for my Heath HW-9
            QRP rig.

            Got a stack of MFM drives. Scored an Atwater-Kent model 35 radio with
            horn (but no driver for the horn), a nice 2m antenna, and an HF antenna,
            with roof tripods for both. (and they're both on the roof as of two
            nights ago!)

            At the very end as it started to rain, I got a nice deal on a tube
            tester. Autumn spotted an eclectic table lamp that she fell in love
            with and HAD to have...it's a wire-frame martini glass with a large
            olive in it, where the pimento is a red-painted light bulb. Neat!

            I also scored a pair of very beefy 50' extension cords (an important
            thing around here!) and some manuals for HP-28 and -48 calculators, a
            Fluke Type K thermocouple adapter for multimeter, a DEC VT320, and a few
            other miscellaneous goodies.

            Oh, and the tastiest piece: A 6U VME card cage with backplane and
            attached power supply, containing a Motorola MVME series 68040 CPU
            board, a mass storage subsystem containing a hard drive and a 3.5"
            floppy, and...an Aeon VME CPU board that contains an rtVAX-300 module!

            This rare module, which was a commercial failure presumably due to its
            price tag, is basically a CVAX chipset (MicroVAX-III), an SGEC Ethernet
            controller, and a boot ROM, in a sealed module about 4x5x0.25".

            http://www.neurotica.com/misc/rtVAX-300-1.jpg
            http://www.neurotica.com/misc/rtVAX-300-2.jpg

            I saw the press release for these when they were introduced in the
            1980s but have never seen one in person, nor heard of one in use. Very
            interesting indeed. I'm looking forward to firing it up.

            But yes, it was an excellent hamfest with a high s/n ratio. It was
            large, they had good food stands (deep-fried hot dogs!), and decent
            parking as well.

            Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
            New Kensington, PA
          • s100doctor
            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 13, 2012
              Matt and Dave, thanks for the hamfest reports. Hamfests are a nice resource for vintage computer parts, and of course for test gear, and for radio and related gear. But some of these events are hours away; it's nice to get reports about them. I'll try to return the favor regarding the next hamfest I go to near central NJ.

              Herb Johnson