Museum Visit Report (8th grade class visit)

  • corey986
    Message 1 of 5 , May 30, 2012
      Well I survived. If you weren't aware, Infoage was hosting an 8th grade field trip. There were about 180 students split into 10 groups of 18.

      Each Museum had a little over 10 minutes to give a short presentation to each group. Since I have a pretty flexible schedule at work, it was my pleasure to represent MARCH and tell the kids about Vintage Micro and home computers. I only causally mentioned the Mini and business computers.

      Evan and I worked on a basic script that I could present that would cover (at a pretty high level) the Hobby computer movement and how it progressed into the home computers.

      The kids were pretty excited, I could see them perk up, both boys and girls when I started talking about the Altair with Bill Gates, Paul Allen and Microsoft. They all knew Paul Allen from Basketball Team ownership and Bill Gates seems to be a good house hold name.

      Many of them held Steve Jobs in some sort of god like view like a gold robot to a bunch of Ewoks and were very surprised when I mentioned how he "stole" the GUI idea for the Macintosh and the employees of Xerox to do it (Evan's idea)....

      They all knew Woz from Dancing with the Stars... So it was pretty cool. Many even recognized the IMSAI and asked if it was from WarGames, which I found astounding they had even seen the movie, some kids even still have Commodores and Atari's at home!!!!

      What really blew their minds was the floppy disk and a comparison of how many would be needed to hold a single photo from their iPod Touch or even the contents of a 64gb iPod.

      We got a lot of good comments from the adults who walked the kids around that they really enjoyed the visit to the computer section and many even commented on how they had this computer or that computer.

      All in all a good day... We even had regular Museum visitors who came in :-)

      Cheers,
      Corey
    • Jeffrey Brace
      Message 2 of 5 , May 31, 2012
        Message 3 of 5 , May 31, 2012
          Did anyone else see the Macintosh prototype with the 5 1/4" Twiggy
          drive on Ebay?
          Message 4 of 5 , May 31, 2012
            On 06/01/2012 12:20 AM, B Degnan wrote:
            > Did anyone else see the Macintosh prototype with the 5 1/4" Twiggy
            > drive on Ebay?

            About a month or two ago? Yes, I saw that one.

            Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
            New Kensington, PA
          • Rilker Frota Cavalcante
            Message 5 of 5 , May 31, 2012