Introduction

  • ahm
    Message 1 of 97 , Jan 22, 2005
      Hi,

      Just wanted to introduce myself. I'm Andy in New Jersey.

      I don't consider myself an active "collector".
      I just have a hard time throwing something away if it still works.
      I suppose that makes me an "accumulator". :)

      I'm hoping to bring one or two CP/M machines, specifically
      a Sony SMC-70, and an Altos 580 with Televideo 955 terminal.

      (As much as I'd love to bring my Teletype DMD-5620 "BLit" terminal,
      it weighs a ton and I no longer have anything that will run "layers"
      to be able to give a proper demo)

      As for stuff to swap, I'll have to dig around.
      Off the top of my head, I have available:
      a Poqet PC handheld (PC-XT clamshell about the size of a VHS tape),
      perhaps a Motorola Envoy and
      a Sony PIC-1000 "Magic Link" with a number of accessories.

      I've also got an Apple Mac SE/30 in a strange state of repair.
      I'd like to find a working motherboard and bring it back to life.

      Cheers,
      Andy
    • Steven Toth
      Message 97 of 97 , Jul 12, 2015

        In 84, my father moved to the promised land, aka Silicon Valley, and
        while he did the executive thing with various hardware and software
        companies, I got heavily involved in the BBS scene (QuickBBS, shortly,
        and Remote Access for several years, also very active in FidoNet) and

        FidoNet! :) My first real email experience, I loved it. I remember getting a 'point' address of my fav BBS based in the UK, the Red Rose BBS (Lancashire).

        <snip>

        all my advanced students learn vi (I'm a vi bigot and I do realize this
        makes me a Bad Person). They all learn command line C followed by

        Not at all, I use vi daily. Personal preference. Nothing wrong with emacs either, although I prefer vi.

        <snip>

        So, long story short, I'm thrilled to be here and thanks for putting up
        with me!

        A great story, thanks for sharing.

        Welcome aboard!

        - Steve