Re: introduction

  • joshbensadon
    Message 1 of 20 , May 29, 2012
      Hi Randy,

      You definitely have a nice collection! I'm looking forward to hearing lots about your computers! I like how you made a list of your computers, I think I need to do the same... someday.

      Cheers,
      Josh

      --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Branedy <branedy@...> wrote:

      > Sorry, I've been lurking here for a week or so, having just completed building one of Lee Hart's Membership Cards.
      >
      > I am a 30+ years veteran of 'working with computers' (as IT hardly covers it). I have a modest collection of old computers and I original built my first 'computer' out of a popular electronics Analog kit. which at the time I didn't understand. I have two applications in the DECUS program library, the first in 1984.
      >
      > Some of my toys are listed here;
      >
      > https://rwjordan.wordpress.com/my-computer-collection/
      > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXDl_LgYpcw
      > http://www.branedy.net/?tag=membership-card
      >
      > RJ
      >

      > branedy@...
      > |<-------------------------->| Email
      > |<--------->| Twitter
      > |<------------>| WWW
      > |<------>| Skype
      > |<------>| Yahoo IM
      > |<------>| AIM IM
      > |<---------->| ekiga.net

    • Jonathan Carpenter
      Message 2 of 20 , Mar 31, 2014
        Hi,

        I've been lurking on this list for a while so I thought that it was
        time I introduce myself.

        I've been using computers for probably 40 years now. I remember as a
        child going to Univ. of Massachusetts to use what I called "Turtle
        Graphics" to draw pictures with both a plotter and a robot turtle
        holding a pen, which I later realized was Logo. As a teenager I lived
        in Vermont for several years and hung out at the local computer store,
        as much as the owner would let me, using computers from companies such
        as Polymorphic Systems, TDL, Cromenco, Altair, and Apple. I still
        remember seeing Kaleidoscope on the Cromemco Dazzler for the first
        time there. I first wanted to buy a Polymorphic Poly-88 but couldn't
        afford it, later it was a Exidy Sorcerer, and finally an Apple IIe.
        It wasn't until college that I was able to buy my own Macintosh 128k,
        which I still have. I have also built a Cosmac Elf and a Quest Super
        Elf from kits, and more recently an Elf 2000 and Membership Card Elf.
        I have built several other computer kits and Mike Willegal's Mimeo is
        next on my todo list.

        Since college I have worked on, to some degree or another, a Univac
        1100/60, several DEC Vaxen, IBM 1130, 5100, 4341, 9370, AS/400 and
        RS/6000, and many PCs and Macs running running DOS, Windows, Mac OS,
        and Linux. My vintage computer collection is small, limited by my
        one-bedroom condo and a storage unit, but I do have several Macs, PCs,
        an Apple II, and a Timex Sinclair 2068, as well as the Elf kits I have
        built. I also have several 3Com Audreys, but I don't think they
        qualify as vintage (yet).

        I live in Natick, Mass, about 20 miles west of Boston. If I lived
        closer, I'd probably be attending more MARCH events and helping out at
        the museum, but the 10 hour round trip drive is a bit much.

        I was at VCF 8 two years ago, and I will be at VCF 9.1 this Friday to
        Sunday. I'm looking forward to meeting everyone, taking the classes,
        and seeing the exhibits.

        --Jon Carpenter

        jfcarpenter@...
        Message 3 of 20 , Mar 31, 2014
          > I've been lurking on this list for a while so I thought that it was
          > time I introduce myself. .....>
          > I was at VCF 8 two years ago, and I will be at VCF 9.1 this Friday to
          > Sunday. I'm looking forward to meeting everyone, taking the classes,
          > and seeing the exhibits.
          >
          > --Jon Carpenter

          John: Nice to meet you (if we didn't meet at 8.0). That is a darn good
          introduction! Looking forward to meeting in person this weekend.

          - Evan K.