I'm new here, thought I'd say hello

  • ekeefe8051
    Message 1 of 12 , May 29, 2012
      Hello,

      My name is Ed Keefe. I live in Carver, Massachusetts and I love old computers.

      In particular, old RCA 1802 based systems. I have collected quite a few of them. I have a small gallery of the systems, accessories and documentation I own on my web site.

      I am also into 1802 replicas and homemade systems. I have designed and built a few of them. My most recent is of the never released RCA VIP II. Details of it can also be found on my web site, http://www.cosmacvip.com

      I have been interested in the 1802 since the Popular Electronics article in 1976. I built my first Elf not to long after that.

      I am a member of other Yahoo groups, and I recognize quite a few names here.

      I look forward to questions and comments.

      ED
      Message 2 of 12 , May 29, 2012
        On 05/29/2012 09:40 AM, ekeefe8051 wrote:
        > My name is Ed Keefe. I live in Carver, Massachusetts and I love old
        > computers.

        Hi Ed! This sounds like an "AA" meeting intro. ;)

        > In particular, old RCA 1802 based systems. I have collected quite a
        > few of them. I have a small gallery of the systems, accessories and
        > documentation I own on my web site.
        >
        > I am also into 1802 replicas and homemade systems. I have designed
        > and built a few of them. My most recent is of the never released RCA
        > VIP II. Details of it can also be found on my web site,
        > http://www.cosmacvip.com
        >
        > I have been interested in the 1802 since the Popular Electronics
        > article in 1976. I built my first Elf not to long after that.
        >
        > I am a member of other Yahoo groups, and I recognize quite a few
        > names here.
        >
        > I look forward to questions and comments.

        1802s are fun. It's a design that has really withstood the test of
        time. I couldn't help but pattern-match on the "8051" in your email
        address, though...Do you have any other addictions that you'd like to
        share with the group? ;)

        Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
        New Kensington, PA
      • joshbensadon
        Message 3 of 12 , May 29, 2012
          Hi Ed,

          Good to see you getting around! When I'm not over at the COSMAC ELF Groups, I'm here learning a thing or two about computer life before the 1802.

          PS. I'm an ELFster since 1979.

          PPS. Do you know much about the COMX 35 computer?

          Cheers,
          Josh

          --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "ekeefe8051" <ekeefe8051@...> wrote:

          > Hello,
          >
          > My name is Ed Keefe. I live in Carver, Massachusetts and I love old computers.
          >
          > In particular, old RCA 1802 based systems. I have collected quite a few of them. I have a small gallery of the systems, accessories and documentation I own on my web site.
          >
          > I am also into 1802 replicas and homemade systems. I have designed and built a few of them. My most recent is of the never released RCA VIP II. Details of it can also be found on my web site, http://www.cosmacvip.com
          >
          > I have been interested in the 1802 since the Popular Electronics article in 1976. I built my first Elf not to long after that.
          >
          > I am a member of other Yahoo groups, and I recognize quite a few names here.
          >
          > I look forward to questions and comments.
          >
          > ED

        • joshbensadon
          Message 4 of 12 , May 29, 2012

            > On 05/29/2012 09:40 AM, ekeefe8051 wrote:
            > > My name is Ed Keefe. I live in Carver, Massachusetts and I love old
            > > computers.
            >
            > Hi Ed! This sounds like an "AA" meeting intro. ;)

            Dave, it's ok to admit you love old computers... admitting it is the first step in finding a cure. C'mon Dave, you can say it. We are all here for you. Put down that soldering iron and show us you can walk away from that mother board....

            Umm, I'm gonna need some help here! Someone needs to hold him down while I pry that soldering iron out of his hands! (cause, I want my turn!)

            Ok, ok, I get carried away with my imagination!

            JFL (Just for Laughs),
            Josh
            Message 5 of 12 , May 29, 2012
              >> Someone needs to hold him down

              Have you met Dave? You're gonna need multiple someones. Just saying...
              Message 6 of 12 , May 29, 2012
                On 05/29/2012 09:29 PM, joshbensadon wrote:
                > --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Dave McGuire <Mcguire@...>
                > wrote:
                >>
                >> On 05/29/2012 09:40 AM, ekeefe8051 wrote:
                >>> My name is Ed Keefe. I live in Carver, Massachusetts and I love
                >>> old computers.
                >>
                >> Hi Ed! This sounds like an "AA" meeting intro. ;)
                >
                > Dave, it's ok to admit you love old computers... admitting it is the
                > first step in finding a cure. C'mon Dave, you can say it. We are
                > all here for you. Put down that soldering iron and show us you can
                > walk away from that mother board....
                >
                > Umm, I'm gonna need some help here! Someone needs to hold him down
                > while I pry that soldering iron out of his hands! (cause, I want my
                > turn!)

                I'll take this iron to my grave, man! ;)

                > Ok, ok, I get carried away with my imagination!

                ;)

                Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
                New Kensington, PA
              • joshbensadon
                Message 7 of 12 , May 29, 2012
                  > >> Someone needs to hold him down
                  >
                  > Have you met Dave? You're gonna need multiple someones. Just saying...

                  No, I haven't met anyone from the group yet... I'm still new in town.
                  But thanks for the advice. I'll have to let Dave keep that soldering iron... and just bring my own!

                  Besides... I really don't like using someone elses soldering iron anyway! It just feels awkward and I know how mine handles so very well. I'm sure you know what I mean.

                  J.
                  Message 8 of 12 , May 29, 2012
                    On 05/29/2012 09:49 PM, joshbensadon wrote:

                    >> Have you met Dave? You're gonna need multiple someones. Just saying...
                    >
                    > No, I haven't met anyone from the group yet... I'm still new in town.
                    > But thanks for the advice. I'll have to let Dave keep that soldering iron... and just bring my own!
                    >
                    > Besides... I really don't like using someone elses soldering iron anyway! It just feels awkward and I know how mine handles so very well. I'm sure you know what I mean.

                    That's like using someone else's toothbrush!

                    Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
                    New Kensington, PA
                  • joshbensadon
                    Message 9 of 12 , May 29, 2012
                      > I'll take this iron to my grave, man! ;)

                      Yeah! I kind of guessed it. That "Never surrender" attitude is probably a must have personallity trait of the vintage computer hobbyist. God knows it takes a lot of patience to sort some of these old computers out!

                      As posted in my other reply, I'll just have to bring my own soldering iron! :)

                      J.
                    • joshbensadon
                      Message 10 of 12 , May 29, 2012
                        > > Besides... I really don't like using someone elses soldering iron anyway! It just feels awkward and I know how mine handles so very well. I'm sure you know what I mean.
                        >
                        > That's like using someone else's toothbrush!

                        Only it's more disgusting (using someone elses soldering iron that is).
                      • joshbensadon
                        Message 11 of 12 , May 29, 2012
                          > > Besides... I really don't like using someone elses soldering iron anyway! It just feels awkward and I know how mine handles so very well. I'm sure you know what I mean.
                          >
                          > That's like using someone else's toothbrush!

                          Only it's more disgusting (that is using someone elses soldering iron).
                        • Mike Loewen
                          Message 12 of 12 , May 30, 2012
                            On Wed, 30 May 2012, joshbensadon wrote:

                            > Besides... I really don't like using someone elses soldering iron anyway! It just feels awkward and I know how mine handles so very well. I'm sure you know what I mean.

                            Also, beware of anyone that says, "Hold this, while I solder...". :-)

                            Mike Loewen mloewen@...