Re: Another Apple I on eBay

  • Epsilon Process
    Message 1 of 7 , May 27, 2012
      It seems they also posted an IMSAI that had some history with Apple software development.

      http://www.ebay.com/itm/160810144871

      --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "Epsilon Process" <als@...> wrote:

      > http://www.ebay.com/itm//160810171525
      >
      > Seems legit, back story, provenance and all...

    • Richard Cini
      Message 2 of 7 , May 28, 2012

        Very interesting backstories indeed. They seem like such "normal" stories that they are probably true.

        Rich

        --
        Rich Cini
        Collector of Classic Computers

        From: Epsilon Process <als@...>
        Date: Sunday, May 27, 2012 11:36 PM
        To: "midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com" <midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com>
        Subject: [midatlanticretro] Re: Another Apple I on eBay

        It seems they also posted an IMSAI that had some history with Apple software development.

        http://www.ebay.com/itm/160810144871

        --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "Epsilon Process" <als@...> wrote:

        > http://www.ebay.com/itm//160810171525
        >
        > Seems legit, back story, provenance and all...

      • Christian Liendo
        Message 3 of 7 , May 28, 2012
          I think these are the guys Daniel Kottke talked about. I know he mentioned a pair of brothers who were sold an apple I and may have another.
          Message 4 of 7 , May 28, 2012
            If I had an Apple I I'd sell it asap, they're starting to come out of
            the woodwork and one may not be able to get as much $$ for them next
            year, esp. if another 10 or so appear.

            At 11:36 PM 5/27/2012, you wrote:

            >It seems they also posted an IMSAI that had some history with Apple
            >software development.
            >
            >http://www.ebay.com/itm/160810144871
            >
            >--- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "Epsilon Process" <als@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > http://www.ebay.com/itm//160810171525
            > >
            > > Seems legit, back story, provenance and all...

          • corey986
            Message 5 of 7 , May 28, 2012
              Yes this is the Huston Brothers. They were long time Apple employees who did rescue two board from the band-saw.
              I know a lot about this particular board and it is legit. This board's LM323k was transferred to the one the brothers sold in 2010. The video pot is not original and the ROMs have been replaced. The Ram bank was also added later as the board didn't have Ram on it when it was rescued. This board has damage to the front and back power traces that appears the owner tried to tap, it also has had two power line traces cut and repaired (in a non-professional way) which were most likely done before the board was sent to Apple for trade in. There are multiple lifted solder pads in the prototype section and scorch marks so this board was used by a real hobbyist. Also a couple of the ceramic caps are chipped and the large blue caps have the rubber coating worn off in spots. If this board was to be brought back into working order it may require a lot of troubleshooting as it hasn't been powered on since the 70's and with the damage who knows what the original owner did to it.

              On a good note, it has a great story, lots of documentation and it's one of the first 50 original ones as it is a pre-NTI byte shop board (it has the byte-shop markings). If it was in better condition, I would think this would be sold at an Auction house for a lot more $$$ than the bidding is starting at now. I do think this one will sell. It may not sell at eBay, but if the auction fails I'm sure a private buy will contact them directly.

              If you have a spare 120-180k, there is a very good condition NTI board going up at Sotherbys. It is in working condition, all key original parts, the only issue is a small dent on one of the capacitors. It is a fully working and tested board.

              http://www.sothebys.com/en/ecat/lot.render.html/2012/books-manuscripts-n08864/lotNum/57

              Cheers,
              Corey

              > I think these are the guys Daniel Kottke talked about. I know he mentioned a pair of brothers who were sold an apple I and may have another.

            • joshbensadon
              Message 6 of 7 , Jun 3, 2012
                FYI, I can't find that Apple 1 on Ebay because I have a Canadaian IP.
                You'd think such an item should be made available world wide?

                I know there must be a lot of items that I can't see/bid on because they are not visible from my Canadian IP, damn that free trade agreement!