Summer workshop

    Message 1 of 11 , May 26, 2012
      I have some requests for a summer workshop hosted at my house ... a weekend of vintage comp hacking. I live in Landenberg PA on the DE MD PA border. If interested let me know your best weekends. Based on who is coming we set a general theme like disk drives or s-100 or DIGITAL or OSI or teletypes or.....? Let me know.
      --
      Sent from my PDP 8/e.
    • Mike Loewen
      Message 2 of 11 , May 26, 2012
        On Sat, 26 May 2012, B Degnan wrote:

        > I have some requests for a summer workshop hosted at my house ... a
        > weekend of vintage comp hacking. I live in Landenberg PA on the DE MD
        > PA border. If interested let me know your best weekends. Based on who
        > is coming we set a general theme like disk drives or s-100 or DIGITAL or
        > OSI or teletypes or.....? Let me know.

        I'd be up for another Vintage Computer Workshop. I have an ASR-33
        that's just waiting for an excuse. Any weekend in June starting with the
        9th would be good.

        Mike Loewen mloewen@...
      • s100doctor
        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 9, 2012

          > I have some requests for a summer workshop hosted at my house ... a weekend of vintage comp hacking. I live in Landenberg PA on the DE MD PA border. If interested let me know your best weekends. Based on who is coming we set a general theme like disk drives or s-100 or DIGITAL or OSI or teletypes or.....? Let me know.

          I'm in. I'll work with the consensus of attendees on the theme, but I agree that a theme is a good idea. Keep me in the loop. - Herb
        • J. Alexander Jacocks
          Message 4 of 11 , Jun 9, 2012
            On Sat, Jun 9, 2012 at 12:06 PM, s100doctor <hjohnson@...> wrote:

            > I have some requests for a summer workshop hosted at my house ... a weekend of vintage comp hacking. I live in Landenberg PA on the DE MD PA border. If interested let me know your best weekends. Based on who is coming we set a general theme like disk drives or s-100 or DIGITAL or OSI or teletypes or.....? Let me know.

            I'm in. I'll work with the consensus of attendees on the theme, but I agree that a theme is a good idea. Keep me in the loop. - Herb

            I'm in, as well, so long as it doesn't coincide with KansasFest.

            - Alex
            Message 5 of 11 , Jun 9, 2012
              OK.  Thanks.  How about the last weekend in June?

              Message 6 of 11 , Jun 9, 2012
                No! Sunday, July 1 is when Felsenstein visits the museum. You can't miss that.

                From: "B. Degnan" <billdeg@...>
                Sender: midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com
                Date: Sat, 9 Jun 2012 15:43:34 -0400
                To: <midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com>

                Message 7 of 11 , Jun 9, 2012
                  Yah...how about the first weekend of August?  BTW - I would not mind if we met at InfoAge and had a workshop weekend the same weekend Lee came, he might find it interesting.
                  bd

                  No! Sunday, July 1 is when Felsenstein visits the museum. You can't miss that.

                  From: "B. Degnan" <billdeg@...>
                  Sender: midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com
                  Date: Sat, 9 Jun 2012 15:43:34 -0400
                  To: <midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com>

                  Message 8 of 11 , Jun 10, 2012
                    "B. Degnan" <billdeg@...> wrote:

                    > Yah...how about the first weekend of August? BTW - I would not mind if we
                    > met at InfoAge and had a workshop weekend the same weekend Lee came, he
                    > might find it interesting.
                    > bd

                    Nope, in a word.

                    First, the concept was to meet at a working site, to do some hardware work, including work on and with equipment on the site. If Evan wants to organize a "MARCH fix-it workshop", he can do that, nothing wrong with that, but I imagine it's his call to do that. Also, we've already met at INfoage recently.

                    Second, the concept was to avoid other distractions; and in the case of Infoage/MARCH, not BECOME a distraction. I thought Lee was simply intending to "visit" Infoage, not be the center of attention. Again, nothing wrong if that happens, but it's not the workshop that I said "I'm in" for.

                    http://www.retrotechnology.com/restore/r_loewen.html

                    Mike Loewen had a weekend workshop, like I'm talkin' about, almost exactly three years ago, in central PA. I was there, so was Bill Degnan and others. It was very productive. We brought stuff to work on, tools, and parts. Mike had a garage and his own tools. We shared parts and tools, knowledge and time. NOthing fancy - we slept on cots and couches. We ate pizza. No lectures, no guests. THINGS GOT FIXED. That was the point. It's also nice to see other people's hardware, and get some support for repairs. That happened too.

                    Bill, if you are good for being a "host", your location is reasonably close to me and I believe to others expressing interest (as of some discussion of it at VCF-E and in this discussion thread). As you've taken the lead, that fine by me. If someone's out of range, or interest, or wants to host, well, anyone else can organize any other event. There's no patent on this idea, or time of year, other than bad weather. I kind of doubt there will be more than one of these things at a time.

                    As to theme: DEC stuff would suit me. An August date may give me some time to at least power-cycle some stuff before bringing it. Reread a manual or two. I would not mind some witnesses when I work on an 11 or an 8. But, it could be something else, and people need not only bring DEC stuff, chips are chips to a point. I have no shortage of hardware to fix.

                    Herb Johnson
                    central NJ
                  • s100doctor
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jun 10, 2012
                      http://njarc.org/clubprograms.html#workshops

                      A kind of PS to my previous post. I was checking the InfoAge event calendar on their site, and saw a message about a June 30th "repair clinic" by the NJ Antique Radio Club (which also resides at InfoAge). They hold these a few times a year. Hey, this is a great idea! ;)

                      Herb
                    • Jeffrey Brace
                      Message 10 of 11 , Jun 10, 2012
                        Message 11 of 11 , Jun 13, 2012
                          "Jeffrey Brace" <ark72axow@...> wrote:

                          > From: B. Degnan

                          > >Yah...how about the first weekend of August? BTW - I would not mind if we
                          > >met at InfoAge and had a workshop weekend the same weekend Lee came, he
                          > >might find it interesting.
                          >
                          > I think that a fixit weekend would be fantastic at Infoage ! The main reason
                          > I joined MARCH was so that I could learn more about vintage computers, share
                          > my interest with other enthusiasts and repair these things ! There are
                          > basically two times a year when many MARCHins meet: VCF and Holiday Party. I
                          > often wish there were more times when more would come.
                          >
                          > I don't know much about Lee, but I look forward to the talk that he will
                          > give.
                          >
                          > Jeff Brace

                          Well, I gave my opinion about the idea; the workshop I had in mind would not compete with other MARCH or Infoage events, and be located convenient to the handful of participants. But there's nothing wrong with a MARCH event on its own merits.

                          It looks like Bill Degnan and Evan will combine Lee Felsenstein, one of the Radio Club repair meetings (which I pointed out as occuring), and the idea of a MARCH repair event. There's another discussion thread where Bill is organizing all that. Those interested should go to that thread.

                          It would be sour grapes for me to not support this idea. I'll see what I can bring as a simple project, if I can schedule my participation. Another day, some other people including myself, may organize some other event along the lines I suggested. I'd do so myself, near Trenton/Princeton, except I'd need to rent space and consider overnight accommodations for the participants.

                          Herb Johnson