Re: [midatlanticretro] Ted Nelson lecture videos

  • Jason Howe
    Message 1 of 2 , May 24, 2012
      These were great, thanks for sharing! I had them running while building
      out a new SharePoint farm today. They provided a good distraction from the
      hell that is SharePoint Administration.

      10 <point>
      20 <click>
      30 <wait 10 mins while SharePoint does "something">
      40 GOTO 10

      One of the interesting things that Ted mentioned was the idea of
      storing changes to a document as an append on tape, with a pointer back to
      the original. I was talking with a google engineer this weekend, who was
      saying that for performance reason, with GoogleFS, they've implemented
      an append only algorithm.

      Which actually points out one of the biggest problems I've seen in the
      tech industry and one I've been thinking alot about lately. Every company
      who comes along reinvents the wheel (out of necessity many times, but still).
      Some examples: MS clustering is finally a viable solution in the last
      couple years, after NetWare and VMS before it had it down decades ago.
      IPv6 has all sorts of really nice auto-negotiation and router autodiscovery in
      the protocol. Novell was doing a lot of the same stuff with IPX way back.

      --Jason

      Sent from Alpine