Ted Nelson lecture videos

    Message 1 of 2 , May 23 9:01 PM
      Received tonight (see below) -- anything from Ted is worth our time. I plan to watch these videos.

      ------------------

      Are you a Dummy, naive and gullible? If so, there are thousands of books for the likes of you. Go elsewhere, and drink in the lies called "computer basics". But if you are a clever and sophisticated person who wants to know the real story of how the computer world works, you may enjoy some of the insights I present in this brief series.

      • Computers for Cynics 0  - The Myth of Technology
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KdnGPQaICjk

      • Computers for Cynics 1 - The Nightmare of Files and Directories
      http://youtu.be/Qfai5reVrck

      • Computers for Cynics 2 - It All Went Wrong at Xerox PARC
      http://youtu.be/F-OUTjml12w

      • Computers for Cynics 3 - The Database Mess
      http://youtu.be/E6mNoUiWOYo

      • Computers for Cynics 4 - The Dance of Apple and Microsoft
      http://youtu.be/nrDDFl-D2Tc

      • Computers for Cynics 5 - Hyperhistory
      http://youtu.be/7jmlnKBuJPE

      • Computers for Cynics 6 - The Real Story of the World Wide Web
      http://youtu.be/KOclv0NrSsQ

      • Computers for Cynics N - CLOSURE: Pay Attention to the Man Behind the Curtain
       http://youtu.be/CFKestdf2ow

      Best,Ted

      --
      Theodor Holm Nelson PhD
      Designer-Generalist, The Internet Archive
      Message 2 of 2 , May 24 10:49 AM
        These were great, thanks for sharing! I had them running while building
        out a new SharePoint farm today. They provided a good distraction from the
        hell that is SharePoint Administration.

        10 <point>
        20 <click>
        30 <wait 10 mins while SharePoint does "something">
        40 GOTO 10

        One of the interesting things that Ted mentioned was the idea of
        storing changes to a document as an append on tape, with a pointer back to
        the original. I was talking with a google engineer this weekend, who was
        saying that for performance reason, with GoogleFS, they've implemented
        an append only algorithm.

        Which actually points out one of the biggest problems I've seen in the
        tech industry and one I've been thinking alot about lately. Every company
        who comes along reinvents the wheel (out of necessity many times, but still).
        Some examples: MS clustering is finally a viable solution in the last
        couple years, after NetWare and VMS before it had it down decades ago.
        IPv6 has all sorts of really nice auto-negotiation and router autodiscovery in
        the protocol. Novell was doing a lot of the same stuff with IPX way back.

        --Jason

        Sent from Alpine