Re: [midatlanticretro] Anyone have 4164-15 memory chips?

  • Bob Grieb
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 25 2:01 PM
      Oops! The HM50464's are 64Kx4 parts. Oh well.
      I think the 41256's might work if you tie one pin to
      GND. I have a lot of them.

      Bob

      --- Bob Applegate <bob@...> wrote:

      > I'm trying to revive an early 80s CP/M board and need memory
      > chips. At least 6, but 8 would be preferred. Bob G and Dave W...
      > this is an old Franklin Z80 card. I'm trying to recover some
      > CP/M data for someone, but my card's memory went into my old
      > Ferguson Big Board many years ago, and was never replaced.
      >
      > If someone has the chips, let me know what you want for them.
      >
      > Thanks
      >
      > Bob

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • Bob Grieb
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 25 2:15 PM
        Bob,

        Looks like it won't work after all. The 41256's need
        256 address refresh, not 128. I have 8 NEC 4164's
        you could borrow, but I would need to get them back.
        You never know when I might need that Bogus board up and
        running again...

        Bob

        --- Bob Applegate <bob@...> wrote:

        > I'm trying to revive an early 80s CP/M board and need memory
        > chips. At least 6, but 8 would be preferred. Bob G and Dave W...
        > this is an old Franklin Z80 card. I'm trying to recover some
        > CP/M data for someone, but my card's memory went into my old
        > Ferguson Big Board many years ago, and was never replaced.
        >
        > If someone has the chips, let me know what you want for them.
        >
        > Thanks
        >
        > Bob

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • Bob Applegate
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 25 4:08 PM
          Bob Grieb <bobgrieb@...> wrote :

          > Bob,
          >
          >    Looks like it won't work after all.  The 41256's need
          > 256 address refresh, not 128.  I have 8 NEC 4164's
          > you could borrow, but I would need to get them back.
          > You never know when I might need that Bogus board up and
          > running again...

          I've got a bucket of 41256s too, but didn't bother trying them. You did
          a lot more research than I did. This is to get CP/M running in order to
          read those disks that fellow emailed us about.

          The 23 year old ACE-1000 and all the peripherals came to life (including
          an old Franklin monitor), but it's been years since I've used my CP/M
          card. Dave, I have a lot of disks here with your handwriting on the
          labels, various versions of the CP/M driver development kit, etc. It might
          be fun to play with this stuff again!

          Let's see what Jameco has...

          Bob

          ___________________________________
          NOCC, http://nocc.sourceforge.net
        • Bob Grieb
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 25 8:21 PM
            Bob,

            I looked at the data sheet attached to the parts that Jameco is
            selling. It says 256-row refresh. The Z80 only counts through
            128 addresses. I think 128-row was std for the 4164 chips.
            Just something to watch out for.

            BOb

            --- Bob Applegate <bob@...> wrote:

            > I'm trying to revive an early 80s CP/M board and need memory
            > chips. At least 6, but 8 would be preferred. Bob G and Dave W...
            > this is an old Franklin Z80 card. I'm trying to recover some
            > CP/M data for someone, but my card's memory went into my old
            > Ferguson Big Board many years ago, and was never replaced.
            >
            > If someone has the chips, let me know what you want for them.
            >
            > Thanks
            >
            > Bob

            http://mail.yahoo.com
          • David Gesswein
            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 26 7:58 AM
              > I looked at the data sheet attached to the parts that Jameco is
              > selling. It says 256-row refresh. The Z80 only counts through
              > 128 addresses. I think 128-row was std for the 4164 chips.
              > Just something to watch out for.

              If it is providing the refresh address but only 128 it might still be ok
              since you won't be using the cells it doesn't refresh. I think I stuck
              a 256k in a machine to replace a failed 64k but that was long enough ago
              that I'm not positive.

              Checked my stock, only have -20's