Anyone have 4164-15 memory chips?

  • Bob Applegate
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 25, 2006
      I'm trying to revive an early 80s CP/M board and need memory
      chips. At least 6, but 8 would be preferred. Bob G and Dave W...
      this is an old Franklin Z80 card. I'm trying to recover some
      CP/M data for someone, but my card's memory went into my old
      Ferguson Big Board many years ago, and was never replaced.

      If someone has the chips, let me know what you want for them.

      Thanks

      Bob
    • Bob Grieb
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 25, 2006
        Bob,

        I have a bunch of chips here. HM50464P-12 Hitachi,
        also a bunch of 4164-type chips, but those are all -20's.
        Plus a whole bunch of 41256 types, mostly -15 and -10 parts.
        I have 8 of each type, at least.

        Bob

        --- Bob Applegate <bob@...> wrote:

        > I'm trying to revive an early 80s CP/M board and need memory
        > chips. At least 6, but 8 would be preferred. Bob G and Dave W...
        > this is an old Franklin Z80 card. I'm trying to recover some
        > CP/M data for someone, but my card's memory went into my old
        > Ferguson Big Board many years ago, and was never replaced.
        >
        > If someone has the chips, let me know what you want for them.
        >
        > Thanks
        >
        > Bob

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • Bob Grieb
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 25, 2006
          Oops! The HM50464's are 64Kx4 parts. Oh well.
          I think the 41256's might work if you tie one pin to
          GND. I have a lot of them.

          Bob

          --- Bob Applegate <bob@...> wrote:

          > I'm trying to revive an early 80s CP/M board and need memory
          > chips. At least 6, but 8 would be preferred. Bob G and Dave W...
          > this is an old Franklin Z80 card. I'm trying to recover some
          > CP/M data for someone, but my card's memory went into my old
          > Ferguson Big Board many years ago, and was never replaced.
          >
          > If someone has the chips, let me know what you want for them.
          >
          > Thanks
          >
          > Bob

          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • Bob Grieb
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 25, 2006
            Bob,

            Looks like it won't work after all. The 41256's need
            256 address refresh, not 128. I have 8 NEC 4164's
            you could borrow, but I would need to get them back.
            You never know when I might need that Bogus board up and
            running again...

            Bob

            --- Bob Applegate <bob@...> wrote:

            > I'm trying to revive an early 80s CP/M board and need memory
            > chips. At least 6, but 8 would be preferred. Bob G and Dave W...
            > this is an old Franklin Z80 card. I'm trying to recover some
            > CP/M data for someone, but my card's memory went into my old
            > Ferguson Big Board many years ago, and was never replaced.
            >
            > If someone has the chips, let me know what you want for them.
            >
            > Thanks
            >
            > Bob

            http://mail.yahoo.com
          • Bob Applegate
            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 25, 2006
              Bob Grieb <bobgrieb@...> wrote :

              > Bob,
              >
              >    Looks like it won't work after all.  The 41256's need
              > 256 address refresh, not 128.  I have 8 NEC 4164's
              > you could borrow, but I would need to get them back.
              > You never know when I might need that Bogus board up and
              > running again...

              I've got a bucket of 41256s too, but didn't bother trying them. You did
              a lot more research than I did. This is to get CP/M running in order to
              read those disks that fellow emailed us about.

              The 23 year old ACE-1000 and all the peripherals came to life (including
              an old Franklin monitor), but it's been years since I've used my CP/M
              card. Dave, I have a lot of disks here with your handwriting on the
              labels, various versions of the CP/M driver development kit, etc. It might
              be fun to play with this stuff again!

              Let's see what Jameco has...

              Bob

              ___________________________________
              NOCC, http://nocc.sourceforge.net
            • Bob Grieb
              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 25, 2006
                Bob,

                I looked at the data sheet attached to the parts that Jameco is
                selling. It says 256-row refresh. The Z80 only counts through
                128 addresses. I think 128-row was std for the 4164 chips.
                Just something to watch out for.

                BOb

                --- Bob Applegate <bob@...> wrote:

                > I'm trying to revive an early 80s CP/M board and need memory
                > chips. At least 6, but 8 would be preferred. Bob G and Dave W...
                > this is an old Franklin Z80 card. I'm trying to recover some
                > CP/M data for someone, but my card's memory went into my old
                > Ferguson Big Board many years ago, and was never replaced.
                >
                > If someone has the chips, let me know what you want for them.
                >
                > Thanks
                >
                > Bob

                http://mail.yahoo.com
              • David Gesswein
                Message 7 of 7 , Feb 26, 2006
                  > I looked at the data sheet attached to the parts that Jameco is
                  > selling. It says 256-row refresh. The Z80 only counts through
                  > 128 addresses. I think 128-row was std for the 4164 chips.
                  > Just something to watch out for.

                  If it is providing the refresh address but only 128 it might still be ok
                  since you won't be using the cells it doesn't refresh. I think I stuck
                  a 256k in a machine to replace a failed 64k but that was long enough ago
                  that I'm not positive.

                  Checked my stock, only have -20's