Mac Classic floppy issues

  • Kyle Owen
    Message 1 of 6 , May 14 6:51 PM
      A friend of mine gave me his Macintosh IIcx and Macintosh Classic the other day. I don't have a monitor cord for the IIcx, but I'm hoping to make one soon, if I can find another 15-pin male connector.

      The Classic will turn on, but after a short time, it goes to the flashing question mark screen, even if a boot disc is inserted into the drive. Given the correct key combination, it does boot to ROM. The floppy drive simply won't read, however. I borrowed the floppy drive from the IIcx, and even it is not doing anything different. I can hear the drive spin, and if the head is moved before power on, it will move itself back to the outer track.

      I'm not sure how the Classic is configured, but something tells me the on-board floppy controller might be dead. Where should I be looking? I'd love to get this machine up and going shortly.

      Also, where can I locate some case screws? All of mine are gone, unfortunately.

      Thanks!

      Kyle
    • Darren Gilbert
      Message 2 of 6 , May 24 3:48 AM
        On Mon, 14 May 2012, Kyle Owen wrote:

        > A friend of mine gave me his Macintosh IIcx and Macintosh Classic the other
        > day. I don't have a monitor cord for the IIcx, but I'm hoping to make one
        > soon, if I can find another 15-pin male connector.
        > The Classic will turn on, but after a short time, it goes to the flashing
        > question mark screen, even if a boot disc is inserted into the drive. Given
        > the correct key combination, it does boot to ROM. The floppy drive simply
        > won't read, however. I borrowed the floppy drive from the IIcx, and even it
        > is not doing anything different. I can hear the drive spin, and if the head
        > is moved before power on, it will move itself back to the outer track.
        >
        > I'm not sure how the Classic is configured, but something tells me the
        > on-board floppy controller might be dead. Where should I be looking? I'd
        > love to get this machine up and going shortly.
        >
        > Also, where can I locate some case screws? All of mine are gone,
        > unfortunately.
        >
        > Thanks!
        >
        > Kyle

        Hi Kyle... What happens if you plug the floppy drives into the Mac IIcx? I
        know you can't see what's on the screen, but if you throw in a boot disk,
        you should be able to tell if the system can boot from floppy. This would
        verify that the floppy drives are ok or not.

        Good Luck!
        Darren

        --
        Sent from my Newton eMate 300.
      • Kyle Owen
        Message 3 of 6 , May 24 10:24 AM
          Hi Darren,

          As it turns out, the Mac IIcx doesn't boot. The power supply seems to be good, as it does have the 5V present for the continuous supply. I don't know how to further test the power supply, however.

          Kyle

          On Thu, May 24, 2012 at 5:48 AM, Darren Gilbert <outatime@...> wrote:

          On Mon, 14 May 2012, Kyle Owen wrote:

          > A friend of mine gave me his Macintosh IIcx and Macintosh Classic the other
          > day. I don't have a monitor cord for the IIcx, but I'm hoping to make one
          > soon, if I can find another 15-pin male connector.
          > The Classic will turn on, but after a short time, it goes to the flashing
          > question mark screen, even if a boot disc is inserted into the drive. Given
          > the correct key combination, it does boot to ROM. The floppy drive simply
          > won't read, however. I borrowed the floppy drive from the IIcx, and even it
          > is not doing anything different. I can hear the drive spin, and if the head
          > is moved before power on, it will move itself back to the outer track.
          >
          > I'm not sure how the Classic is configured, but something tells me the
          > on-board floppy controller might be dead. Where should I be looking? I'd
          > love to get this machine up and going shortly.
          >
          > Also, where can I locate some case screws? All of mine are gone,
          > unfortunately.
          >
          > Thanks!
          >
          > Kyle

          Hi Kyle... What happens if you plug the floppy drives into the Mac IIcx? I
          know you can't see what's on the screen, but if you throw in a boot disk,
          you should be able to tell if the system can boot from floppy. This would
          verify that the floppy drives are ok or not.

          Good Luck!
          Darren

          --
          Sent from my Newton eMate 300.

        • Al Hartman
          Message 4 of 6 , May 25 12:58 PM
            Even with a working power supply, a bad PRAM Battery will cause the unit not
            to boot. I always check the battery as step one. A bad or low battery will
            cause no end of problems.

            Al

            Posted by: "Kyle Owen" kylevowen@... kylevowen

            Hi Darren,

            As it turns out, the Mac IIcx doesn't boot. The power supply seems to be
            good, as it does have the 5V present for the continuous supply. I don't
            know how to further test the power supply, however.

            Kyle
          • Dmmmmcom

              Message 6 of 6 , Jun 9, 2012
                > Posted by: "Kyle Owen" kylevowen@... kylevowen
                >
                > Hi Darren,
                >
                > As it turns out, the Mac IIcx doesn't boot. The power supply seems to be
                > good, as it does have the 5V present for the continuous supply. I don't
                > know how to further test the power supply, however.
                >
                > Kyle

                Al Hartman <alhartman6@...> wrote:

                > Even with a working power supply, a bad PRAM Battery will cause the unit not
                > to boot. I always check the battery as step one

                I've run a IIci for years without a PRAM battery. It boots fine, of course the date and time is incorrect. On some old Macs, you do need a good PRAM battery to boot it. These batteries will leak after decades and run the motherboard - remove them if the unit is stored.

                The IIci and IIcx, among many 68K Macs, will simply die from age. That PRAM battery creates a constant current which turns copper to copper oxide (blue rust). It's just like rust on a car: wet metal is just another battery. Also, some of the components, some capacitors, break down. Also, some of the IC leads seem to rust up, possibly related to the presence of the PRAM battery.

                It's very common for the Mac II series to power up but not run, then not power up at all. The power supply depends on some features of the motherboard to "start". Power supplies will fail also, the simplest test of course is to have a known good IIci or cx or 700 power supply.

                I sell these supplies, Kyle, but even if I took it back the cost of shipping it back and forth is close to the cost of the supply. Find someone with the same Mac who is willing to swap power supplies. But chances are your IIcx is not gonna work. I have many more IIcx supplies than motherboards, for a reason.

                Herb Johnson