New to group

  • Timothy J Fagan
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 25, 2006
      Hi all... My name is Tim, and I am a collector of old computers and
      gaming consoles (I feel like I'm at a 12-step program... he he he).

      I wanted to collect some of the computers I'd used growing up in the
      80s, and last year finally hit eBay - hard! In less than a year's
      time, I've put together a collection of over 100 old machines,
      computers and consoles and pongs combined! The computers comprise
      the majority of my collection. The awesome thing is that almost 100%
      of these machine are fully working, with scads of software to boot
      (no pun intended).

      If you're interested in what I've got, I currently have my
      collection posted at http://www.old-computers.net Look in
      the 'Collectors' tab, then on page 3 - user: Tim Fagan.

      I live in Winston Salem, NC, and I'd love to start up a Vintage
      Computer User Group (VCUG) down here, similar to what it seems the
      mid-Atlantic area has successfully set up. Is everyone on this list
      from the mid-Atl area, or might there be some from down my way?

      Either way - I look forward to enjoying the banter on this forum.
      It's comforting to know I'm not the only crazy one out there with a
      passion for these great old relics.

      Thanks for letting me join the group. If I can get up there, I'm
      hoping to attend the festival in Wall in May. Talk at ya again
      later...

      --Timster--
    • Evan
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 25, 2006
        Hello Tim, and welcome to our group.

        Here's the * correct * link to your list page:

        Nice collection you have there.  In addition to ebay, or better yet INSTEAD of ebay, you should shop at http://www.vintagecomputermarketplace.com and http://www.vintage-computer.com/vcforum/forumdisplay.php?f=7 ... both sites are very good.

        Back on April 13, 2005, Ken Harbit posted that he's in Greenville, N.C. ... so you can look that up in our Yahoo group archives.  Other than that, we have a couple Virginia people, and then our active membership begins in Maryland and DC.  Then again, with all you lurkers out there, who knows?

        Would be great to see you at our May VCF event.  If you come, make sure to introduce yourself.  Try to arrive at the Holiday Inn (Tinton Falls, NJ; ask for the Vintage Computer Festival rate) the night before.

        Also, if you want to find our southeastern collectors, then you should post to the classiccmp.org's cctalk list ... that covers the planet and then some.

        - Evan

        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 25, 2006
          Tim,
          Welcome. I live in Extreme south eastern PA, on the DE/PA/MD line. I have
          ventured almost as far south as you are to rescue a computer or 10, and if
          I am down your way I will let you know so I can pop in for a visit. My
          site is vintagecomputer.net, but it's just a scratchpad site. You will
          find that you have a lot in common with others in this group. Many of us
          specialize in one manufacturer or type of system. Me, I am a micro
          generalist focusing on '74 - '87.
          Bill D