RE: smoke test

  • Mike Loewen
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 24, 2006
      On Fri, 24 Feb 2006, Jim Scheef wrote:

      > It isn't called a "smoke test" for nothing! MCM and mpja.com are good sources
      > for small LCDs.

      Many years ago, I did a tour in the Air Force keeping the air defense
      computers running at McChord AFB. I was working as a shift supervisor one
      evening, keeping an eye on a couple of my guys who were replacing a 5V,
      200A power supply in one of the display consoles. You know, the kind you
      can weld with? The Senior Director (SD) came down and asked how it was
      going. The guys were just finishing up reconnecting the wiring, so I told
      him we were just about ready for a smoke test. Sure enough, they turned
      it on, and the magic smoke came out!

      It seems that while connecting one of the main 5V leads, they managed
      to pinch a sensor wire underneath it, and it cooked. Nothing serious, but
      we didn't joke about "smoke tests" for a while.

      Mike Loewen mloewen@...