Daniel Kotke / Apple // videos?

  • Jeremy
    Message 1 of 26 , May 7, 2012
      Are the Daniel Kotke and/or the Care of your Apple // videos available anywhere at this point? Thanks in advance.
    • Dan Roganti
      Message 2 of 26 , May 7, 2012
        On 5/7/2012 1:49 PM, Jeremy wrote:
        > Are the Daniel Kotke and/or the Care of your Apple // videos available anywhere at this point? Thanks in advance.

        I could only tape BIl Herd's workshop - and both Keynote lectures. There
        was only one of me, so I couldn't tape every workshop - not even my own
        :/ But I think Dave Sica will be back next year, and possibly Matt
        Patoray - so we can tag team on the videotaping. But I think there were
        some visitors at the event, which taped other sessions (using their
        smartphones) and they might soon be on Youtube, just keep an eye out for
        them, search for VCF East and sort by upload date. The ones I taped will
        be made available on MARCH's youtube channel.

        =Dan
      • Dan Roganti
        Message 3 of 26 , May 7, 2012
          On 5/7/2012 3:43 PM, Dan Roganti wrote:
          > On 5/7/2012 1:49 PM, Jeremy wrote:
          >> Are the Daniel Kotke and/or the Care of your Apple // videos
          >> available anywhere at this point? Thanks in advance.
          >
          > I could only tape BIl Herd's workshop - and both Keynote lectures.
          > There was only one of me, so I couldn't tape every workshop - not even
          > my own :/ But I think Dave Sica will be back next year, and possibly
          > Matt Patoray - so we can tag team on the videotaping. But I think
          > there were some visitors at the event, which taped other sessions
          > (using their smartphones) and they might soon be on Youtube, just keep
          > an eye out for them, search for VCF East and sort by upload date. The
          > ones I taped will be made available on MARCH's youtube channel.

          <EDIT>

          I also taped the exhibits, the crowds, people, etc.

          </EDIT>
        • murph
          Message 4 of 26 , May 7, 2012
            On Mon, May 7, 2012 at 3:43 PM, Dan Roganti <ragooman@...> wrote:

            On 5/7/2012 1:49 PM, Jeremy wrote:
            > Are the Daniel Kotke and/or the Care of your Apple // videos available anywhere at this point? Thanks in advance.

            I could only tape BIl Herd's workshop - and both Keynote lectures. There
            was only one of me, so I couldn't tape every workshop - not even my own
            :/ But I think Dave Sica will be back next year, and possibly Matt
            Patoray - so we can tag team on the videotaping. But I think there were
            some visitors at the event, which taped other sessions (using their
            smartphones) and they might soon be on Youtube, just keep an eye out for
            them, search for VCF East and sort by upload date. The ones I taped will
            be made available on MARCH's youtube channel.

            I need to get video of Kottke's talk off of my phone, I got all but the last few minutes or so.  Does anyone have a place I can FTP them to so they can be put on the youtube channel?   Evan?

            --
            Team Amiga  New Jersey - The less that I speak, the smarter I sound.

            Message 5 of 26 , May 7, 2012
              > I need to get video of Kottke's talk off of my phone, I got all but
              > the last few minutes or so. Does anyone have a place I can FTP them
              > to so they can be put on the youtube channel? Evan?

              < Evan surfaces from the dead (or from the dead tired, at least ... >

              Dan recorded the whole Kottke lecture, so we'll see how that looks first.

              Dan: I'll send you the login info for the MARCH account on YouTube.
            • Systems Glitch
              Message 6 of 26 , May 7, 2012
                > Dan: I'll send you the login info for the MARCH account on YouTube.

                Also, I have 250 GB of webspace, of which maybe 5-10 GB is used at the moment. I also have an unlimited data transfer account. If anyone has anything (legal) they want hosted, I can put it up at:

                http://filedump.glitchwrks.com/

                So far it's mostly retro/vintage computer related stuff...manuals, freeware/shareware/public domain stuff, a bit of abandonware, and driver archives (got Boca Research before it went down!). I can probably set up temporary upload accounts via SFTP, or I can accept the files and upload them (over the Internet or in the mail on physical media).

                Thanks,
                Jonathan
              • Jeffrey Brace
                Message 7 of 26 , May 7, 2012

                  I took video of the Apple II workshop. I will process as I have time. It is
                  in Hi-8 format, so I guess I will have to convert to DVD and then to .avi
                  etc. Any ideas on the best way to transfer to PC ? Any place in particular
                  you want it posted ?

                  Jeff Brace
                  Message 8 of 26 , May 8, 2012
                    >> Any place in particular you want it posted ?

                    I'll give you access to the MARCH account on YouTube.

                    Patience please; I'm going back to work today and then sleeping many extra hours tonight .... STILL feeling drained.
                  • joshbensadon
                    Message 9 of 26 , May 9, 2012
                      Hi,

                      I just picked up an ADM-3A from someone.

                      He has an HP 3000 Series III chasis, with the front panel lights and switches. There are no guts, just the chasis and front panel.
                      He is throwing it out but would like to find a good home for it.

                      Does anyone want this? Please look for HP 3000 photos in the photos section.

                      Regards,
                      Josh
                    • joshbensadon
                      Message 10 of 26 , May 9, 2012
                        Why is YAHOO NOT WORKING???????

                        Message 11 of 26 , May 9, 2012
                          On 05/09/2012 06:20 PM, joshbensadon wrote:
                          > I just picked up an ADM-3A from someone.
                          >
                          > He has an HP 3000 Series III chasis, with the front panel lights and switches. There are no guts, just the chasis and front panel.
                          > He is throwing it out but would like to find a good home for it.
                          >
                          > Does anyone want this? Please look for HP 3000 photos in the photos section.

                          I'm interested. Where is it?

                          Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
                          New Kensington, PA
                        • Mike Loewen
                          Message 12 of 26 , May 9, 2012
                            On Wed, 9 May 2012, joshbensadon wrote:

                            > He has an HP 3000 Series III chasis, with the front panel lights and switches. There are no guts, just the chasis and front panel.
                            > He is throwing it out but would like to find a good home for it.
                            >
                            > Does anyone want this? Please look for HP 3000 photos in the photos section.

                            Hey, I remember those! Last seen in 1987. :-)

                            Mike Loewen mloewen@...
                          • joshbensadon
                            Message 13 of 26 , May 9, 2012
                              > > He has an HP 3000 Series III chasis, with the front panel lights and switches. There are no guts, just the chasis and front panel.
                              > > He is throwing it out but would like to find a good home for it.
                              > >
                              > > Does anyone want this? Please look for HP 3000 photos in the photos section.
                              >
                              > I'm interested. Where is it?
                              >
                              > -Dave

                              Well, it's in Newmarket, Ontario at the moment, but I would be willing to drive it down to the boarder. You will need to cross the Canadian boarder at Niagra Falls. Why not come for a 2nd honey moon? Just don't tell your wife the real reason you're taking her to Niagra. I can just pretent to be a street vendor, selling vintage computers on the corner.
                              Just look for the guy shouting "Get your HP-3000 here!". We'll pretent to exchange some money to complete the appearance of a "Random Find" and your wife will think you're a romantic guy taking her for a 2nd Honeymoon. WIN-WIN!
                              Message 14 of 26 , May 9, 2012
                                On 05/09/2012 06:59 PM, joshbensadon wrote:
                                >>> He has an HP 3000 Series III chasis, with the front panel lights and switches. There are no guts, just the chasis and front panel.
                                >>> He is throwing it out but would like to find a good home for it.
                                >>>
                                >>> Does anyone want this? Please look for HP 3000 photos in the photos section.
                                >>
                                >> I'm interested. Where is it?
                                >>
                                >> -Dave
                                >>

                                > Well, it's in Newmarket, Ontario at the moment, but I would be willing to drive it down to the boarder. You will need to cross the Canadian boarder at Niagra Falls. Why not come for a 2nd honey moon? Just don't tell your wife the real reason you're taking her to Niagra. I can just pretent to be a street vendor, selling vintage computers on the corner.
                                > Just look for the guy shouting "Get your HP-3000 here!". We'll pretent to exchange some money to complete the appearance of a "Random Find" and your wife will think you're a romantic guy taking her for a 2nd Honeymoon. WIN-WIN!

                                Funny. ;) My lady would encourage and applaud such an acquisition.

                                However, crossing the border would require me to go get a passport,
                                which costs Serious Money nowadays, so I guess that's out. That's a
                                shame. Please do what you can to prevent this guy from scrapping that
                                chassis. Boards are floating around, and it's not like these things are
                                growing on trees.

                                Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
                                New Kensington, PA
                              • joshbensadon
                                Message 15 of 26 , May 9, 2012

                                  > >> I'm interested. Where is it?
                                  > >>
                                  > >> -Dave
                                  > >>

                                  > > Well, it's in Newmarket, Ontario at the moment, but I would be willing to drive it down to the boarder. You will need to cross the Canadian boarder at Niagra Falls. Why not come for a 2nd honey moon? Just don't tell your wife the real reason you're taking her to Niagra. I can just pretent to be a street vendor, selling vintage computers on the corner.
                                  > > Just look for the guy shouting "Get your HP-3000 here!". We'll pretent to exchange some money to complete the appearance of a "Random Find" and your wife will think you're a romantic guy taking her for a 2nd Honeymoon. WIN-WIN!
                                  >
                                  > Funny. ;) My lady would encourage and applaud such an acquisition.
                                  >
                                  > However, crossing the border would require me to go get a passport,
                                  > which costs Serious Money nowadays, so I guess that's out. That's a
                                  > shame. Please do what you can to prevent this guy from scrapping that
                                  > chassis. Boards are floating around, and it's not like these things are
                                  > growing on trees.
                                  >
                                  > -Dave

                                  I was thinking, perhaps I should grab it and put shelving inside of it for my collection of 8 bit computers. If I don't like how it looks, then perhaps I can haul it down to VCF next year? Who am I kidding, I love an old computer even if it's just a front panel and an empty rack.
                                  I think when I joined this group, I swore an unwritten oath to protect all vintage computers.
                                  Message 16 of 26 , May 9, 2012
                                    On 05/09/2012 09:43 PM, joshbensadon wrote:
                                    >> However, crossing the border would require me to go get a passport,
                                    >> which costs Serious Money nowadays, so I guess that's out. That's a
                                    >> shame. Please do what you can to prevent this guy from scrapping that
                                    >> chassis. Boards are floating around, and it's not like these things are
                                    >> growing on trees.
                                    >
                                    > I was thinking, perhaps I should grab it and put shelving inside of it for my collection of 8 bit computers. If I don't like how it looks, then perhaps I can haul it down to VCF next year? Who am I kidding, I love an old computer even if it's just a front panel and an empty rack.
                                    > I think when I joined this group, I swore an unwritten oath to protect all vintage computers.

                                    That sounds like a plan.

                                    Any idea where this poor machine's innards went?

                                    Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
                                    New Kensington, PA
                                  • William Donzelli
                                    Message 17 of 26 , May 9, 2012

                                      > He has an HP 3000 Series III chasis, with the front panel lights and switches. There are no guts, just the chasis and front panel.
                                      > He is throwing it out but would like to find a good home for it.

                                      Oh yes, *that* machine. Cool, but a carcass. I moved that from Virginia to Pennsylvania at some point, maybe ten years ago.

                                      --
                                      Will

                                    • joshbensadon
                                      Message 18 of 26 , May 10, 2012
                                        > > I was thinking, perhaps I should grab it and put shelving inside of it for my collection of 8 bit computers. If I don't like how it looks, then perhaps I can haul it down to VCF next year? Who am I kidding, I love an old computer even if it's just a front panel and an empty rack.
                                        > > I think when I joined this group, I swore an unwritten oath to protect all vintage computers.
                                        >
                                        > That sounds like a plan.
                                        >
                                        > Any idea where this poor machine's innards went?
                                        >
                                        > -Dave

                                        I'm not sure. He mentioned that he had an S-100 system that he built himself, but it all got tossed (less the ADM-3A). I think he got this box to hold that S-100 homebrew. Perhaps he gutted it long ago, or perhaps he got it from a surplus shop already gutted. I'm going to write him in a few days after I fix his old ADM-3A (no video) and arrange to pick it up.
                                      • Jeffrey Brace
                                        Message 19 of 26 , Jun 3, 2012
                                          On 5/7/2012 1:49 PM, Jeremy wrote:
                                          > Are the Daniel Kotke and/or the Care of your Apple // videos available
                                          > anywhere at this point? Thanks in advance.

                                          >I could only tape BIl Herd's workshop - and both Keynote lectures. There

                                          I recorded the Apple // workshop. I am copying from Hi-8 to DVD, then
                                          ripping from DVD to .avi. I'm not sure if this will degrade the quality, but
                                          it is the only way I know how to get it from Hi-8 tape to PC. Does anyone
                                          have any method of directly copying from Hi-8 to PC ? Which program can I
                                          use ?

                                          Also Dan R., what's the latest on your videos ?

                                          ----Jeff Brace
                                        • Richard Cini
                                          Message 20 of 26 , Jun 4, 2012
                                            For this kind of task I use a Pinnacle Dazzler capture card (actually, a USB dongle) and their included software which let's me output any number of file formats.

                                            From: "Jeffrey Brace" <ark72axow@...>
                                            Sender: midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com
                                            Date: Mon, 04 Jun 2012 01:09:46 -0400
                                            To: <midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com>
                                            Subject: [midatlanticretro] Daniel Kotke / Apple // videos?

                                            Message 21 of 26 , Jun 4, 2012
                                              Use windows movie maker. Plug hi 8 device into your firewire port if you have one. Read your video player manual for details...assuming its a Sony
                                              --
                                              Sent from my PDP 8/e.
                                            • Jeffrey Brace
                                              Message 22 of 26 , Jun 4, 2012
                                                >Use windows movie maker. Plug hi 8 device into your firewire port if you
                                                >have one. Read your video >player manual for details...assuming its a Sony

                                                No firewire. It *is* Sony and model is: DCRTRV240. I know that years ago on
                                                my old computer I connected with USB, but have been unable to find software
                                                that will work with Windows 7. It's hard to find, since most software is
                                                oriented towards digital format, not tape. It also has an audio/video jack
                                                which I use to connect to DVD. And there is S-Video and DV In/Out, which I
                                                have no idea about.
                                              • Ben Greenfield
                                                Message 23 of 26 , Jun 4, 2012

                                                  >Use windows movie maker. Plug hi 8 device into your firewire port if you
                                                  >have one. Read your video >player manual for details...assuming its a Sony

                                                  No firewire. It *is* Sony and model is: DCRTRV240. I know that years ago on
                                                  my old computer I connected with USB, but have been unable to find software
                                                  that will work with Windows 7. It's hard to find, since most software is
                                                  oriented towards digital format, not tape. It also has an audio/video jack
                                                  which I use to connect to DVD. And there is S-Video and

                                                  DV In/Out,

                                                  is firewire

                                                  which I
                                                  have no idea about.

                                                • Mike
                                                  Message 24 of 26 , Jun 4, 2012
                                                    Hi,

                                                    My out of date Sony HI-8 video camera has a firewire interface built in - you can stream directly into an out of date Mac that still has firewire using iMovie.

                                                    Regards,
                                                    Mike Willegal

                                                    > On 5/7/2012 1:49 PM, Jeremy wrote:
                                                    > > Are the Daniel Kotke and/or the Care of your Apple // videos available
                                                    > > anywhere at this point? Thanks in advance.
                                                    >
                                                    > >I could only tape BIl Herd's workshop - and both Keynote lectures. There
                                                    >
                                                    > I recorded the Apple // workshop. I am copying from Hi-8 to DVD, then
                                                    > ripping from DVD to .avi. I'm not sure if this will degrade the quality, but
                                                    > it is the only way I know how to get it from Hi-8 tape to PC. Does anyone
                                                    > have any method of directly copying from Hi-8 to PC ? Which program can I
                                                    > use ?
                                                    >
                                                    > Also Dan R., what's the latest on your videos ?
                                                    >
                                                    > ----Jeff Brace

                                                  • Bill Dromgoole
                                                    Message 25 of 26 , Jun 4, 2012
                                                      According to the Sony user manual at
                                                      http://www.docs.sony.com/release/DCRTRV240.pdf
                                                      the DV connector is a 4 pin IEEE 1394 or Apple iLink connector.

                                                      This cable looks suitable and is only $2.04
                                                      http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=103&cp_id=10301&cs_id=1030101&p_id=1475&seq=1&format=2

                                                      >>Use windows movie maker. Plug hi 8 device into your firewire port if you
                                                      >>have one. Read your video >player manual for details...assuming its a Sony
                                                      >
                                                      > No firewire. It *is* Sony and model is: DCRTRV240. I know that years ago on
                                                      > my old computer I connected with USB, but have been unable to find software
                                                      > that will work with Windows 7. It's hard to find, since most software is
                                                      > oriented towards digital format, not tape. It also has an audio/video jack
                                                      > which I use to connect to DVD. And there is S-Video and DV In/Out, which I
                                                      > have no idea about.
                                                    • Matt Patoray