Re: [midatlanticretro] MFM Hard Drive Repair - Update!

  • Kyle Owen
    Message 1 of 11 , May 1, 2012
      Thanks Dave! And your large list of freebies really makes me regret not being able to make it to VCF...those Sun servers sound awesome!

      Kyle

      On Tue, May 1, 2012 at 11:51 PM, Dave McGuire <Mcguire@...> wrote:

      On 05/02/2012 12:48 AM, Kyle Owen wrote:
      > I spent the last day or so taking apart and putting back together my 40
      > MB hard drive from my PC/AT. I found that one head had come unglued from
      > the actuator arm (which may have been from removing the actuator
      > assembly from the case), so I carefully reattached it with a tiny drop
      > of nail polish. I was afraid of using super glue, as the cyanoacrylate
      > fumes go *everywhere*. The last thing I'd want is for the fumes to coat
      > the disk. Clear nail polish seems to have worked well.
      >
      > One of two bearings was shot in the actuator axis bearing assembly.
      > After carefully removing the top (bad) bearing, I sprayed it with some
      > penetrating oil, hoping it would loosen it up some. It did, but it was
      > still very rough. I found that if I pressed on one side, it would rotate
      > much more smoothly. It turns out the spring inside the assembly keeps
      > some pressure on the bearing, which I used to my advantage by turning
      > the bearing over to use the better surface.
      >
      > After centering the axis assembly, I proceeded to put all of the
      > actuator arms back onto the actuator assembly. This was a very delicate
      > process, but it went without a hitch, thankfully. I used nuts to
      > separate the heads when getting the heads back over the platters. The
      > nuts would be pushed out by the edge of the three platters, after the
      > heads were fully resting over the platters. The solenoid lock was
      > secured back in place. After using my best judgement on centering the
      > lock and actuator assembly, I put the top cover back on. The circuit
      > boards were next to be installed, and finally the whole thing was back
      > together, some 20 or so screws later.
      >
      > I plugged it back into the AT, and to my utter astonishment, it went
      > straight into GW-BASIC without reporting a single error (like 1701). The
      > hard drive was spinning away, and no clunking was heard (from the
      > actuator smashing back and forth).

      Wow. That is damn impressive. Nice work.

      Dave McGuire, AK4HZ

      Message 2 of 11 , May 1, 2012
        On 05/02/2012 01:05 AM, Kyle Owen wrote:
        > Thanks Dave! And your large list of freebies really makes me regret not
        > being able to make it to VCF...those Sun servers sound awesome!

        You can always come here to get some..

        Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
        New Kensington, PA
      • s100doctor
        Message 3 of 11 , May 2, 2012
          Kyle Owen <kylevowen@...> wrote:

          > I spent the last day or so taking apart and putting back together my 40 MB
          > hard drive from my PC/AT.

          This is awesome work, speaking as a digital engineer,. and a good description. I hope you took more than a few photos. I encourage you to put this work and description on a Web site; I'd be glad to make a Web page of it on my site, with other vintage repair and restoration work. Let me know accordingly.

          Herb Johnson
          retrotechnology.com
        • Kyle Owen
          Message 4 of 11 , May 2, 2012
            Hi Herb,

            Thanks! To be honest, I had no clue I'd have even remotely close to this much success. That being said, I did not think to photographically document my progress. Darn! I figured I'd take the drive apart, screw something up more, put it back together to make it look nice, and maybe hang onto it for parts. But to have a working drive...I still can't get over that!

            I might take you up on the website offer still, if it's okay. I intend to do quite some stuff with my SWTPC 6800 this summer. One of my next projects for sure is making an 8k ROM board to take the place of the (4) 2k ROMs on the main board, as well as a loading utility to go with it (think about not having to wait five minutes to load BASIC!). The pins will be spaced such that no modification of the actual board will be required; just plug it in and go. With some modification to the board, you could instead have RAM installed at $C000, but I'm a purist: no traces shall be cut on my boards!

            I've not made any significant progress on the 32k RAM board yet. Exams are all this week, so I've been trying to keep distractions to a minimum. However, I expect I will have the RAM card finalized by the end of the month. I am also working on designing a sound card, one using a 4-channel 8-bit DAC, and another using the popular AY-3-8910. The former will be able to fit on an SS-30 card, whereas the latter will likely be built into my RAM card, assuming I can fit it. I've not played much with the AY-3-8910, but it looks entertaining. As for the DAC sound card, I have to figure out a good way of mixing the channels appropriately. I was thinking pots, but it would be a nuisance to have to reach into the case to adjust the levels manually. Any thoughts?

            Is an 8k ROM card or a sound card (FM or sampled) something anyone would be interested in for the SS-50/30 systems? The ROM card would likely be SWTPC-only, as I am not sure if any others used the same spacing, or even a similar configuration of ROM.

            Kyle

            On Wed, May 2, 2012 at 11:31 AM, s100doctor <hjohnson@...> wrote:

            Kyle Owen <kylevowen@...> wrote:

            > I spent the last day or so taking apart and putting back together my 40 MB
            > hard drive from my PC/AT.

            This is awesome work, speaking as a digital engineer,. and a good description. I hope you took more than a few photos. I encourage you to put this work and description on a Web site; I'd be glad to make a Web page of it on my site, with other vintage repair and restoration work. Let me know accordingly.

            Herb Johnson
            retrotechnology.com

          • joshbensadon
            Message 5 of 11 , May 2, 2012
              Wow, nice job! Thanks for the great narrative on the repair! Wish there were some pictures to go with it. But I still felt like I was right there with you rolling that bearing with a little pressure.

              Cheers!
              Josh
              Message 6 of 11 , May 2, 2012
                On 05/02/2012 08:55 PM, Kyle Owen wrote:
                > As for the DAC sound card, I
                > have to figure out a good way of mixing the channels appropriately. I
                > was thinking pots, but it would be a nuisance to have to reach into the
                > case to adjust the levels manually. Any thoughts?

                Sorry for jumping in...how about digipots? There are ones with
                tap-up/tap-down control interfaces that'd likely be easy to drive with
                just a decoded I/O chip select line.

                Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
                New Kensington, PA
              • Kyle Owen
                Message 7 of 11 , May 2, 2012
                  No worries...I wouldn't be posting to the group if I didn't want people jumping in! :)

                  The only issue I see with using digital pots with my current design is that the chip I'm using is has (4) channels, and each SS-30 card is only given 2-bits worth of address space. If I want to address all four channels individually, that won't leave me with any room for controlling the digital pots. Alternatively, I could have three audio wires coming off directly, and make an optional mixer board with a few op-amps. That would also reduce costs if you already have another mixer, or are only needing a channel or two, etc.

                  I've been looking over the AY-3-8910 a bit, and it sounds like it could actually fit on the SS-30, with some extra decoding most likely.

                  Any ideas as to what else would work nicely on a 32k RAM board? Currently, it's very bare, with only (4) ICs. And it's a big board for just a few ICs: 5.5"x9".

                  Kyle

                  On Wed, May 2, 2012 at 11:27 PM, Dave McGuire <Mcguire@...> wrote:
                  On 05/02/2012 08:55 PM, Kyle Owen wrote:
                  > As for the DAC sound card, I
                  > have to figure out a good way of mixing the channels appropriately. I
                  > was thinking pots, but it would be a nuisance to have to reach into the
                  > case to adjust the levels manually. Any thoughts?

                   Sorry for jumping in...how about digipots?  There are ones with
                  tap-up/tap-down control interfaces that'd likely be easy to drive with
                  just a decoded I/O chip select line.

                  Dave McGuire, AK4HZ

                  <*> Your email settings:
                     Individual Email | Traditional

                  <*> To change settings online go to:
                     (Yahoo! ID required)

                  <*> To change settings via email:
                     midatlanticretro-digest@yahoogroups.com

                     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                • David Gesswein
                  Message 8 of 11 , May 3, 2012
                    On Wed, May 02, 2012 at 11:57:42PM -0500, Kyle Owen wrote:

                    > The only issue I see with using digital pots with my current design is that
                    > the chip I'm using is has (4) channels, and each SS-30 card is only given
                    > 2-bits worth of address space. If I want to address all four channels
                    > individually, that won't leave me with any room for controlling the digital
                    > pots.

                    The standard way around that is you make one of the address an on board
                    address register which then selects which device on the board another
                    address accesses. Does slow things down since extra writes are needed
                    when you wish to talk to a different device. If one of the devices doesn't
                    use all the data bits you can take the extra bit for a pot/other chip
                    select.
                  • s100doctor
                    Message 9 of 11 , May 3, 2012
                      Kyle Owen <kylevowen@...> wrote:

                      > Hi Herb,
                      >
                      > Thanks! To be honest, I had no clue I'd have even remotely close to this
                      > much success. That being said, I did not think to photographically document
                      > my progress. Darn! I figured I'd take the drive apart, screw something up
                      > more, put it back together to make it look nice, and maybe hang onto it for
                      > parts. But to have a working drive...I still can't get over that!
                      >
                      > I might take you up on the website offer still, if it's okay.

                      I'll contact you offline from the MARCH list. I had forgotten we had been in email contact about your SWTPC 32K RAM design. I'll be curious to know how many MARCH members have those systems - I know a few, Bill Degnan showed one last year at VCF.

                      Herb