free, non-free equipment available at VCF

    Message 1 of 4 , May 1, 2012
      Hey folks. As you know, I'll be at VCF, and I'll be bringing a much
      larger truck than I need due to the need for a hydraulic lift gate. I
      have some spare stuff here that I'd like to move, which I can bring to
      VCF. Most are offered for free, but some I'd like something (cash or
      trade) in return for. All are as-is, but most/all of this stuff is
      working, and while I offer no warranty, I will help get stuff working
      within reason.

      First, the non-freebies. Pricing is flexible, I will entertain any
      offers. Also, offers to trade cool stuff are always welcome. I'm
      primarily into minicomputers, but will consider most anything. MARCH
      has dibs on all of this, so Evan/Bill/etc, please speak up if any of
      this causes your ears to perk up. Otherwise, first come, first served.

      -----

      Tektronix 1225 and 1230 logic analyzers, two of each. I have some
      pods for them, but no clip leads; the pods come out to pins. Decent
      leads that work with these pods are readily available cheaply, from
      SparkFun for example. The analyzers are in very good condition, and are
      tested and functional. Most of the pods I have are new, and each will
      have at least one. Additional pods are readily available via eBay.
      Asking $75/ea.

      Tektronix 1240 logic analyzer. This is a really nice instrument. It
      can take lots of pods, can take ROM cartridges (for disassemblers for
      different processors, etc), and has a good user interface. It has a
      dent in one rear corner that does not impact operation in any way.
      Asking $75.

      Two HP 1650B logic analyzers. No pods, but they're not tough to find
      and not expensive. I have one boot disk, but images are downloadable
      from HP, or we can copy the one boot disk that I have. They have slight
      screen burn but are in reasonably good shape otherwise. Asking $75/ea.

      Both the Tek and HP logic analyzers mentioned above are a few years
      old, but they are REAL, PROFESSIONAL TEST EQUIPMENT, not PC-based,
      USB-interfaced toys. I have a few of those as well, and they have their
      place and can be handy, but they are not real test equipment. More
      detailed specs are available upon request.

      Sun Netra-X1 mini-servers. These are small, low-power, 1U rackmount
      UltraSPARC-II servers. They take standard IDE disks, have two
      10/100Mbps Ethernet interfaces, and can run current Solaris or NetBSD.
      They are uniprocessor 64-bit UltraSPARC-II-based machines clocked at
      400-600MHz. They take PC133 DIMMs if I recall correctly, and will take
      at least 1GB. These make wonderful "local network" servers for stuff
      like DNS, NAT/firewalling, VPN endpoints, etc. I have several, and will
      take $50/ea for them. I don't mind keeping these because I use them at
      client sites, so I'm less flexible on that price.

      -----

      Now for the freebies. The only condition on these is that they go to
      a good home and will not be scrapped. System configurations vary. Just
      the boxes, no CRTs, keyboards, mice, etc. Nearly all have memory, some
      have drives. I can provide distribution media for any of the OSs
      mentioned below, as well as post-VCF assistance for bringing them to
      life. Most of this hardware is stuff I've run in production at one time
      or another, so it's well-used, but generally well-maintained.

      Sun SPARCstations: 1, 1+, 2, 5, 10, and 20. Several of each. Mostly
      in good condition, some missing feet, but I should be able to find them
      all later on and can ship them. (the feet I mean) These will run
      SunOS4, the BSDs, or SPARC/Linux.

      Sun E450. Deskside up-to-four-CPU 64-bit UltraSPARC-II machine with
      LOTS of internal drive bays, redundant power supplies, etc. Being
      64-bit and past the Ultra1 era, this will also run modern Solaris. One
      of my employers still runs a few of these in production; they're
      practically bulletproof.

      Sun E3500. Deskside 64-bit UltraSPARC server. Eight 400MHz
      UltraSPARC-II CPUs with 4MB caches, 8GB of RAM, and an internal native
      FibreChannel disk array. This will run current Solaris and is capable
      of doing amazing amounts of work. It has 64-bit Sbus expansion slots,
      and if I recall correctly, at least one GigE interface installed. This
      is one of the all-around best machines Sun has ever built, and it's
      still very viable for even heavy server duty.

      Sun SunFire-280r 4U rackmount server. This is much more modern, but
      it's still in the "freebie" section because these are expensive to ship.
      It has two 64-bit 750MHz UltraSPARC-III (not -II, huge difference!)
      processors, native FibreChannel disk interfaces, and GigE. I believe
      this machine currently has either 2GB or 4GB of RAM. It will run
      current Solaris, and is, like all UltraSPARC-III machines, FAR faster
      than its modest clock rate might suggest.

      Sun Ultra-AXi (uniprocessor UltraSPARC-II board similar to an
      Ultra5/10) in a third-party 2U rackmount chassis.

      A few Sun Ultra1/140 and /170 machines. These are first-generation
      64-bit UltraSPARC-I-based systems that will NOT run current Solaris, but
      they'll run Solaris up to v9, NetBSD, and possibly other OSs.

      HP SureStore-E SC10 SCSI disk chassis. Three available. These are
      very nice, solid, beefy hot-swap 3U rackmount enclosures for arrays of
      80-pin SCA UltraSCSI drives. They take ten 1.6"-height drives and have
      VHDCI connectors. Their buses can be segmented and they have dual,
      redundant power supplies and highly redundant cooling. I have three of
      these, all about half-populated with disk carriers. Additional disk
      carriers are available via eBay cheaply.

      DEC AlphaStation 200. Several available. These are in sorta rough
      shape, but mostly together. These pull very little power and offer
      decent performance for light server duty. These will run current VMS,
      the BSDs, Tru64, or Linux.

      DEC AlphaServer 2100. (might be a 2100A) This is a beefy deskside
      multiprocessor Alpha system with LOTS of (both) expansion slots and
      internal drive bays. It will run current VMS, the BSDs, Tru64, or (I
      think) Linux. It's a big box, but its power consumption is modest, and
      it's quick. Comes with some spare boards and such from a similar
      system. Can be run as a "workstation" if desired.

      Several (~4) random x86 PeeCees, from the PPro to the P-III era.
      These are destined for the trash otherwise, and if you know me you'll
      know that's very rare, so please, someone, take them.

      Two HP NetServer LPr "server" PCs. 2U rackmount, very nicely built,
      dual processor P-III with fast/wide SCSI, 500-600MHz I think. These are
      nice machines for light server duty if you're experienced enough to know
      that big lumbering GUIs are inappropriate for servers. They are in
      excellent condition. I used one of these running Asterisk for my
      telephony server for quite a while.

      Email me off-list (or on-list, I don't care ;)) with questions or to
      claim anything. I plan to load up and leave here Thursday
      afternoon/evening, so that's the deadline. I hate for this to sound
      like a plea, but it is important to me to move some of this stuff, so if
      you can adopt some of it, please do so.

      I will be supremely pissed if someone asks for something, I spend time
      and diesel to bring it to them, and then they don't take it, so please
      be sure.

      Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
      Message 2 of 4 , May 1, 2012
        > MARCH has dibs on all of this, so Evan/Bill/etc, please speak up if any of this causes your ears to perk up.

        Thanks, but we're good with enough "stuff" for a while. :)
        Message 3 of 4 , May 1, 2012
          On 05/01/2012 10:47 PM, Evan Koblentz wrote:
          >> MARCH has dibs on all of this, so Evan/Bill/etc, please speak up if any of this causes your ears to perk up.
          >
          > Thanks, but we're good with enough "stuff" for a while. :)

          Of course, but I was thinking of more the more modern "usable
          infrastructure" stuff than "antiques for the museum" stuff, which none
          of this really is, IMO.

          Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
          New Kensington, PA
        • s100doctor
          Message 4 of 4 , May 2, 2012
            Dave McGuire <Mcguire@...> wrote that he's planning to bring:

            > Two HP 1650B logic analyzers.

            I"m contacting you privately about both of these. Thank you.

            > Sun [various]...UltraSCSI drives....carriers

            I have accumulated some various "advanced" SCSI hard drives in carriers, that may be for Sun use. These have those 68 or 80-pin "narrow" connectors. Dave, give me a clue about what drives and carries these various Suns use, and I'll bring along some drives for them if I have them. But if your Suns are already "populated", you bring spares, etc. I won't fuss about it. Let me know offline.

            HErb