Re: Classic Ethernet for VCF-E?

  • s100doctor
    Message 1 of 59 , May 1, 2012
      I appreciate the lively discussion of ancient networking that's going on. Glad my remarks struck some sparks in that direction, although it's not a priority of mine. I think the increased amount of "old iron" at the show with networking ability, suggests there's an opportunity to mess with networking in an interesting way. Maybe next year, to support the various exhibitors, using the native hardware and network schemes appropriate to their computers. "Bridging" across networks is not easy, but there's some protocols (Telnet I think) that can run "inside" hardware networks. But it's not the kind of thing you want to pipe into InfoAge's Ethernet network, I believe.

      So, some kind of local network and "bridge" support, might be a thing to do next year, for exhibitors to poke their packets at. I suppose, microcomputer exhibitors can work this too, with the Ethernet-to-serial TCP/IP widgets available today. It's a little too "modern" for my tastes, but people are messing with these on C64's and such.

      Dave asked me about my S-100 network cards. I rustled through the rubble and found I have two Arcnet cards. Arcnet is a kind of "ring" or token-passing protocol done over coax, if I remember correctly. It was not an uncommon network scheme in the era; but S-100 cards like this are scarce. No way I'll have those cards running, but I can bring them and some docs. If other exhibitors have networking info on their stuff, no harm in bringing it around to look over, among the exhibitors and the network "engineers" at least.

      I guess I should apologize for titling my post as "ethernet", it's really just about networking, when Ethernet was one of a number of standards (or not). Networking is not my priority, but I certainly recognize it has value and interest, it's another bit of vintage computing to preserve and exhibit. My original point, is that these computers work at ALL, pay attention to that, it's not that easy. But....some of them did network, that's good work to show as well.

      Herb Johnson, unwired
    • system@great-escape.tmesis.com
      Message 59 of 59 , May 2, 2012
        Neil Cherry <ncherry@...> writes:

        >--3CXBIGrbOV8KduZw-ZUy5fHna8NbtrbPBy7ylX6 Content-Type: text/plain;
        >charset=ISO-8859-1 Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
        >The good news is that if we can get our hands on some Vintage Cisco
        >routers we can pretty much network anything that supported Ethernet
        >formatted packets. At layer 2 the Ethernet packets are all the same, as
        >far as dumb layer 2 devices are concerned (this applies to anything that
        >used 10Base2, 10Base5 or 10BaseT).

        Pretty much so...